Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
We wouldn't have this problem if NASCAR would simply award the championship to whoever accumulates the most points.
NASCAR does not want the champion crowned until the last race. The new system insures that.

For some dumb reason they think they have to compete with other sports determining a champion.

If NASCAR really wanted to do something great they would start the season in Homestead (better weather than Daytona).
End the season at Daytona (again better weather) and award double points for a championship that is determined by the team with the most points. (Field limited to the top 43 in points)
Make the Daytona 500 the Grand Finale that it should be.

Anybody who has ever been to Daytona in February know it is a 50-50 chance of decent weather.

Just because the Daytona 500 is usually in Feb does not mean you can't make changes.

Remember when Riverside was the first race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:33 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
Double points is the worst idea in the history of mankind. Even F1 realized it was so stupid that they only did that for 1 year. Guess what, sports events aren't always close! That's what makes them sports events, and not the WWE. Does the NFL decide that a 42-7 game isn't close enough, and award a bunch of points to the loser team to make it close? Does baseball decide that a team who wins the first three games in the World Series is running away with it, and make the 4th game a winner take all? Sometimes, people/teams are just better than everyone else, and it won't be close. If that's boring to you, go do/watch something else.

What it boils down to is that NASCAR is less a sport, and more entertainment. Like Pro Wrestling. The rules and the actual sanctity of sport doesn't matter, as long as it puts an extra butt in a seat, or gets NASCAR that next big TV contract.

The Chase is a joke, and makes a mockery of the entire sport. This isn't a "stick and ball" sport. Playoffs don't work in racing. You want to award winning? Then award an extra 10 or 15 points for a win, maybe an extra 5 for 2nd, and then use the same points we have now all the way down. Then whoever gets the most points wins the SEASON LONG championship.

With that being said, I was really hoping Ryan Newman would have beaten Harvick last year, to show everyone what a farce this ridiculous system really is. Especially if he could have done it without winning at Homestead.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
agreed. he still needs to make up 58 points, and there are still eight races to go before the chase starts, and anything can happen. kyle is on a precipice right now, and there is no guarantee that he will get into the top thirty in points, let alone stay there long enough to get into the chase. and then with the chase itself, even then that doesnt mean he is going to win. suppose for instance that kyle wins out(tough to win that many races in a row), but in the first chase race he wrecks like he did at daytona and is out for the rest of the season. it can happen.
Hell, you could win the first 26 races, and lose it all in the first round of the Chase. That should immediately tell everyone how stupid this all is.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Double points is the worst idea in the history of mankind. Even F1 realized it was so stupid that they only did that for 1 year. Guess what, sports events aren't always close! That's what makes them sports events, and not the WWE. Does the NFL decide that a 42-7 game isn't close enough, and award a bunch of points to the loser team to make it close? Does baseball decide that a team who wins the first three games in the World Series is running away with it, and make the 4th game a winner take all? Sometimes, people/teams are just better than everyone else, and it won't be close. If that's boring to you, go do/watch something else.

What it boils down to is that NASCAR is less a sport, and more entertainment. Like Pro Wrestling. The rules and the actual sanctity of sport doesn't matter, as long as it puts an extra butt in a seat, or gets NASCAR that next big TV contract.

The Chase is a joke, and makes a mockery of the entire sport. This isn't a "stick and ball" sport. Playoffs don't work in racing. You want to award winning? Then award an extra 10 or 15 points for a win, maybe an extra 5 for 2nd, and then use the same points we have now all the way down. Then whoever gets the most points wins the SEASON LONG championship.

With that being said, I was really hoping Ryan Newman would have beaten Harvick last year, to show everyone what a farce this ridiculous system really is. Especially if he could have done it without winning at Homestead.
You're not very consistent, you don't like double points for a final race but you like bonus points for a win.

How about no bonus points at all. One point just for leading one lap is stupid.

BTW the reason double points did not work in F1 is because the pole sitter usually wins anyway. It's not racing it's a demonstration of engineering expertise.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 AM

It was a question. "You want to award winning?" Please point out where I said I support extra points.

FYI, the "?" denotes a question.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM
PDD

Quote:
It was a question. "You want to award winning?" Please point out where I said I support extra points.

FYI, the "?" denotes a question.
Whoops, I missed read you. Never mind.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
I cut my directtv package down, tired of paying for a ton of crap I don't watch, and lost NASCAR on NBCwhatever. Didn't even realize that was a thing until the last race. How dumb to put the races on cable only non-sense and not even basic. Bad choice. So I'm out until they get back to broadcast TV. Smart move NASCAR and NBC.

On the chase, to me when the guy that's winning the most and dominating loses the championship in a 'playoff' something is wrong. That could happen. Honestly I don't really care that much about championships. I enjoy racing not all the junk that's made up around it. But that chase just never looked right to me.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
We wouldn't have this problem if NASCAR would simply award the championship to whoever accumulates the most points.
nascar did that for a few decades. too many times over those few decades the champion was essentially crowned the race before the last one of the season. too many times the champion only had to finish 18th or better to win said championship. that meant that the points leader would run just fast enough to finish say 15th to allow for a small cushion. and that gets boring.

Quote:

how many sports teams who dominate the season win the championship in the end? not as many as you might think. take the denver broncos a couple of seasons ago. they were supposed to be a lock to win the super bowl, and yet the seahawks killed them. or how about the arizona cardinals the year they played the steelers in the super bowl? they wre not even supposed to be in the super bowl and yet they nearly won said super bowl.

and how many times have the yankees dominated the baseball season and lost the world series, or didnt make the series? the year the diamondbacks won the series, they were no even supposed to be there.

Quote:
Hell, you could win the first 26 races, and lose it all in the first round of the Chase. That should immediately tell everyone how stupid this all is.
tough, thats why its called racing. as i noted above, how many teams in other sports dominated their season and didnt win the championship? or like mike tyson fighting buster douglas. everyone thought tyson was going to pound douglas and knock him out in the first round, and yet douglas ended up winning the fight.

and how many people thought in 1997 that the arizona wildcats, fifth place in the pac-10 and seeded number four(iirc) in their region, would take down three number one seeds to win the ncaa tournament? even i didnt think it would happen in real life, and i am a huge wildcat fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
On the chase, to me when the guy that's winning the most and dominating loses the championship in a 'playoff' something is wrong. That could happen. Honestly I don't really care that much about championships. I enjoy racing not all the junk that's made up around it. But that chase just never looked right to me.
but remember in the past how many times the nascar champion only had to finish 18th or better to win said championship in the last race? too many times competitors were eliminated from the championship hunt with several races to go in the season, and the rest ended up fighting for third place on the season.

the chase is a solution to that old scenario. is it the best one? i dont know. but i don know that last season there were four drivers with the chance to win the championship in the last race of the season, where as in seasons past one driver was always running middle of the pack and staying out of every ones way, and trying their best to stay out of trouble. and in my opinion that isnt championship racing. championship racing is supposed to be a number of competitors all with a real shot at winning the championship, and all of them having to put forth their best effort to win that championship.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:24 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Yeah I know what you mean. I remember guys wrapping up the Championship with 3 or 4 races to go. It never bothered me tbh. (part of that problem is the last races are in football season and I tend not to watch anyway) Like I said, I'm in it for the races not championships since I'm not winning anything. lol I

Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Well, there is no perfect solution. Some prefer the old championship formula while others enjoy the current chase. I for one, don't really care because IMO, DAYTONA is the Super Bowl of racing.. so who ever wins that race is the CHAMP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing