U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 02:13 PM

3,687 posts, read 5,850,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Of course she's a product of the very thing she laments but it's still telling. Not exactly news though I'll admit.

As to the sponsor thing, that's not surprising in a male driven sponsor package. The brands are, as always, not very creative in their thinking and conservative in practice.
The lack of female drivers isn't the fault of Williams, male driven sponsor packages, conservative brands or male sexism. The blame has to be placed on human evolution.

For millions of years, as humans evolved, in order to survive, different physical demands were required of males and females. That's why they are physically different. It's been that way until recently recently not even being the equivalent of a blink of the eye.

Males and females are still physically different, there hasn't been enough time for this to change. That's why, in almost every physical, athletic endeavor, they compete separately. Watch the Olympics. If it weren't so, males would dominate.

Driving a race car is still a physical endeavor. The legacy of millions of years of evolution is the reason why women have a hard time competing directly with men. Not sexism.

Anyway, it's only entertainment, it's not like it's some sort of an intellectual pastime, it's not that important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM

5,215 posts, read 5,872,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Sussie Wolff is not terrible or anything, but if she ever gets a race seat in F1, it will be based on her gender and looks.
Yes, unfortunately. She had 7 seasons in DTM but only managed to get 4 points. Is that good enough for F1?

The impact of F1's new Super Licence rules

Old 05-14-2015, 11:23 AM

5,215 posts, read 5,872,309 times
Gotta love Kimi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=36&v=4xRFSJOxKdE

One of the comments:
"Looking at that face Im not sure if i could make a difference whether it is a sponsor vid or a terrorist hostage clip. Then again, for Kimi they might feel the same.."

Old 05-19-2015, 02:57 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,013,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Two extra weeks of withdrawal symptoms!
Better than having 2 months off in the middle of the season. Dumbest thing ever.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 AM

58,183 posts, read 40,994,056 times
Monaco this weekend.

Damn silly place to have a race.

And I love every minute of it!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Eh, one of my least favorite races and I particularly get tired of all the blathering about the pomp and circumstance of the race. What year was it that something like 6 cars finished, after all the crashes? I think it was the first and only win for Fisichella.

Also, I can't believe that they are talking about bringing refueling back. I hope that gets voted down hard. The only thing it adds is the potential of fire in the pits, which is, IMO, horrifying.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,934 times
I was surprised to see refueling put back into the mix as well. It makes no sense to bring back that risk/danger. If they need something to make the races more competitive, and/or re-introduce passing - fix the cars. Engineers are smart enough to make cars passable.

I enjoy Monaco. It's interesting. It's the only 'track' I've been to! haha Being there on race weekend is really interesting. Very cool.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 AM

3,687 posts, read 5,850,492 times
F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of open wheel racing.

Today's F1 cars with the power units and multiple regulations that restrict performance aren't much faster than GP2 cars.

At most tracks, the top GP2 qualifiers are faster than many of the slower F1 cars.

At the beginning of the races, when the F1 cars are laden with fuel, they aren't any faster than GP2 cars.
Nobody dares race because they will ruin their tires.

The races have become snooze fests.

The spectators don't like this. They are staying away. TV audience is way down.

Something has to be done.

Today's refueling rigs are safe. Sports cars, Indycars, Nascar, etc. etc. seem to have refueling without major problems, why shouldn't F1?

Last edited by karlsch; 05-23-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 11:46 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
The TV audience is way down for most sports and particularly auto racing. NASCAR has been trying all sorts of twists and gimmicks and they are not working to increase race attendance or TV viewing.

I like F1, but I don't particularly care about the top speeds the cars hit. If all I cared about was speed, I'd watch drag racing, which I find about as boring as oval racing. What I want to see is the cars "work" through the corners, passing in the corners (not the drag-race DRS passing*), cars setting up lines for corner entry/exit and, did I mention, PASSING.

Not having refueling is pretty much a level playing field for everyone - all the cars start heavy and usually on the softest tires, which makes the opening laps interesting. Today's refueling rigs are safER, not safe. I just don't think it is worth the trouble and expense to add it back in.

I had forgotten that Matchett had been involved in that pit fire - his opinion on the NBCSN Practice 2 broadcast was pretty decisive.

.:Focus-F1.com:.

*which, actually, is the ONE thing I think Indy cars do better than F1 - the push-to-pass button. Everyone gets so many "button pushes" per race and they need to use them judiciously. Much prefer that to DRS.

... off to watch recorded Qualifying!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:32 PM

58,183 posts, read 40,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I was surprised to see refueling put back into the mix as well. It makes no sense to bring back that risk/danger. If they need something to make the races more competitive, and/or re-introduce passing - fix the cars. Engineers are smart enough to make cars passable.

I enjoy Monaco. It's interesting. It's the only 'track' I've been to! haha Being there on race weekend is really interesting. Very cool.
Love it or hate it I think we'd see a large reduction in available sponsor $$$ if it went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or