U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 12:36 PM

58,199 posts, read 41,051,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of open wheel racing.

Today's F1 cars with the power units and multiple regulations that restrict performance aren't much faster than GP2 cars.

At most tracks, the top GP2 qualifiers are faster than many of the slower F1 cars.

At the beginning of the races, when the F1 cars are laden with fuel, they aren't any faster than GP2 cars.
Nobody dares race because they will ruin their tires.

The races have become snooze fests.

The spectators don't like this. They are staying away. TV audience is way down.

Something has to be done.

Today's refueling rigs are safe. Sports cars, Indycars, Nascar, etc. etc. seem to have refueling without major problems, why shouldn't F1?
I'd like to see KERS go away, I think it's silly trying to make a series that has energy consuming wind tunnels running 24/7 as well as flying the whole circus to widely scattered places around the world appear 'green'.

After that eliminate number of cylinders and redline by regulation and let's see what the engineers cook up.

To voice your opinions to the GPDA, go here: http://gpda.motorsport.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM

10,666 posts, read 9,054,483 times
Holy cow. That was unexpected and I actually feel bad for Hamilton (a rare occurrence to be sure). However, I am thrilled as a McLaren fan to see them actually get some flipping points this race.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Holy cow. That was unexpected and I actually feel bad for Hamilton (a rare occurrence to be sure). However, I am thrilled as a McLaren fan to see them actually get some flipping points this race.
McLaren's made great progress since February, I believe by next year they'll be a force to be reckoned with, I doubt either McLaren or HONDA will rest 'til they're on the podium.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
McLaren's made great progress since February, I believe by next year they'll be a force to be reckoned with, I doubt either McLaren or HONDA will rest 'til they're on the podium.
Oh, to be sure. However, I think Alonso is getting frustrated. Should be interesting to watch. I really, really want them to get the Honda engine to a reliable state because if it does and they can finally turn up the power, it should be a very strong contender.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 PM

5,220 posts, read 5,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I enjoy Monaco. It's interesting. It's the only 'track' I've been to! haha Being there on race weekend is really interesting. Very cool.
The races on TV are quite boring but being there as a spectator is great. I went to the practice session five years ago and it was so much better than actual races in Barcelona and Spa. Being so close to the circuit plus the awesome sound in a city landscape made all the difference.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 1,876 times
such an epic blunder by Mercedes today..I guess F1 got what they wanted. More competition for year end title.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinanderson View Post
such an epic blunder by Mercedes today..I guess F1 got what they wanted. More competition for year end title.
What I don't understand, wasn't the actual AMG safety car deployed after the trackside signboards indicated it would be a 'virtual' safety car period? I have to wonder if that had any influence on MB's poor decision?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What I don't understand, wasn't the actual AMG safety car deployed after the trackside signboards indicated it would be a 'virtual' safety car period? I have to wonder if that had any influence on MB's poor decision?
The whole thing was odd. But yes, the VSC was posted first and then the safety car came out after Hamilton went into the pits - I believe that timing is correct.

I do wonder about one thing though. His team held Hamilton in the pit and his stop was 4.1 - much longer than necessary. I couldn't tell - was it traffic or something which caused that?? Seems odd they would hold him there especially since they weren't actively working on the car for a full second.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 AM

3,703 posts, read 5,859,538 times
Love the cute matching outfits on the male model grid boys. Where can I buy those jeans and beach shoes??: Wo sind die Girls? Grid-Boys überraschen am GP Monaco | Blick

Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,188,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The races on TV are quite boring but being there as a spectator is great. I went to the practice session five years ago and it was so much better than actual races in Barcelona and Spa. Being so close to the circuit plus the awesome sound in a city landscape made all the difference.
Absolutely. It's more like going to a sports car race and getting up close to everything. The setting is pretty amazing in person.

The race was pretty wild. Hamilton did not look pleased - rightfully so. The stop did seem unnecessarily slow. No idea why it was. The crash was pretty scary stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or