U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:58 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,139,877 times

Advertisements

Here's a cool video showing the before and after renovations on different sections of the Mexico City Hermanos Rodriguez racetrack. The venue looks fantastic. Can't wait for the race tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/SaXIjhYV5YU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 10:01 AM

7,287 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Fun track, the race had a few good moments.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM

983 posts, read 1,365,273 times
Being from Mexico, I wish I was there, but no regrets over choosing Austin for this year, the race in Mexico wasn't very good, even if the atmosphere was.

It was interesting to see how the esses and the slow sections balanced out the two straights, keeping Red Bull and Toro Rosso in the mix instead of making it a "Mercedes track".

Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 AM

5,211 posts, read 5,865,933 times
Gene Haas reckons his new team's 2016 chassis design is 'better' than Ferrari's

Yeah, right. He should hope it is better than Manor's.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,365,273 times
Future not looking great for COTA... The Texas govt reduced the subsidy it gets. If it was about the Longhorns they would be doubling it instead. Shame.

U.S. Grand Prix F1 race in Austin in jeopardy after state reduces funding | Autoweek

I'm guessing Epstein and Co. are now looking for away out.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM

3,682 posts, read 5,845,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Future not looking great for COTA... The Texas govt reduced the subsidy it gets. If it was about the Longhorns they would be doubling it instead. Shame.

U.S. Grand Prix F1 race in Austin in jeopardy after state reduces funding | Autoweek
What has happened is the State of Texas has run the numbers again and they have found that the F1 race has not had as much of a positive economic impact as originally thought. The first race might have been OK, but each succeeding one less so. I would bet that even the decreased subsidy contains a lot of corporate welfare.

It was oversold. Countless fabulously wealthy people haven't been flying to Austin on their private jets to spend obscene amounts of money.

I have been a F1 fan for more years than most people here have been alive, so I am not surprised. F1 has never been a big thing in the United States. Even the Indianapolis Motor Speedway lost money.

Interest in motorsports in general is decreasing, so F1 is going to be an even tougher sell. Tracks in Europe, the birthplace of the sport, are losing money.

But some dreamy-eyed promoter thinks they are going to change things.

As far as the Texas Longhorns go, F1 has probably learned that they shouldn't schedule their race on the same weekend the Longhorns are having a home game. That's the reality of sports in the United States – football is bigger than Formula 1.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:38 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,729,208 times
Bust a gut funny.....

#placesalonsowouldratherbe

https://twitter.com/hashtag/placesal...=news&src=hash

Old 11-29-2015, 12:21 PM

5,211 posts, read 5,865,933 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyV_NeeSVIQ

Car: 180 cm / 5'11"
Barrier width: 240 cm / 7'10"

Old 12-24-2015, 12:02 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,464,773 times
I've finally, reluctantly, given up on F1. It's boring, the manufacturers control everything, it's run in countries that I have no interest in, it costs too much, the cars are too quiet and under powered, it's getting full of pay drivers....I could go on and on here, but why? While Indycar is far from perfect, it's better than the current version of F1, and tons better than the phony "races" on the WWLF, whoops, I mean NASCAR. I watched some decent races this year on the Indycar series. Very foot to the floor. Who wants to see people being told to lift in order to save fuel?

Too bad for Gene Haas. His timing was all wrong on this. It is going to be a huge money loser. How many times have we seen new teams come on all brash and smug in the beginning, only to fade away w/ nearly no points and no wins later on? Does he think Ferrari is giving him the same engine that they run? Or that a new chassis maker to F1 is building him a better chassis than said Ferrari? The guy is delusional. You would THINK he's smarter than to set down at a poker game run by the house players, but his ego seems to be huge.

They should let Indycar run over at COTA. The crowd would be as big or bigger than a F1 race (which is why Bernie would never allow this). I would definitely travel from Florida to see that. For F1? Not a chance, even if I could afford it. Next year I get to see Indycar live here in St Pete, and that should be a real thrill.

Last edited by smarino; 12-24-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 03:11 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,464,773 times
Weeeel, I was wrong about that one! For Gene Haas's team to go out and come home in the points in 6th place in their very first race w/ that car us amazing. They might have scored higher if not for the red flag, when Alonso misjudged things and ran right into the other Haas car) in their very first race is amazing. You don't see that every day. He has built what looks like a strong team w/ experienced drivers and crew, and hats off to him and everyone n that team. Congratulations. I didn't watch the race, but just reading about it was exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or