U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: 59N
5,214 posts, read 5,869,840 times
Reputation: 3989

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd say Vettel vs. Ricciardo last year says drivers can and do make a difference.
Or the Eyebrow Man (161) vs. the Iceman (55).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Reputation: 18050
Often it depends on who they see has future also in setup of the car. I think perhaps they knew Vettel was moving long before we did. In some ways it appears Red Bull team is kind of at ends this year compared to last. One could say the loss of Vettel has effected the whole team. Development is critical at this level. certainly Ferrari is up as a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
Reputation: 9468
Wow! Not what I expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
3,686 posts, read 5,848,406 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Wow! Not what I expected.
After the start I was sure that Rosberg would immediately pass Vettel and the two Mercedes would disappear into the distance. I was amazed when it didn't happen and that Vettel was able to run the same pace – maybe even a little faster than Rosberg.

Ferrari technical director James Allison says it was because of the hot conditions and it might be hard to duplicate at the next race: “"I know we have a pretty decent cooling package for which a lot of credit needs to go to the cooling team in the wind tunnel and also in the drawing office, who have put together a fairly innovative package on our car. That allows us to operate even in these fierce temperatures without having to open our car up badly.”

The whole story: James Allison explains Ferrari's win ... and why they it will be difficult to repeat | Malaysian Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

I think the Mercedes team made the best tire choice at the end. If they would have put on the softer compound Hamilton might have temporarily come closer to Vettel, but then his tires would have gone off drastically. The guys with all of the computers are probably better able than the driver to figure this out.

Maybe there's hope that the season might be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Reputation: 18050
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd say Vettel vs. Ricciardo last year says drivers can and do make a difference.
Perhaps this last race shows that given a car suited to the driver makes all the difference. Vettel drove masterfully and perhaps we see why he changed and why Ferrari wanted him. If Ferrari can gain more speed to use more down force; no telling; they could have a Red Bull equaling streak. I think Ferrari learned a lot when Kemi arrived last season on direction they need to go. Vettel didn't win four in a roll from not being great. He often reminds me of Schumacher; more a machine than human; given the right tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
Reputation: 9468
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I think the Mercedes team made the best tire choice at the end. If they would have put on the softer compound Hamilton might have temporarily come closer to Vettel, but then his tires would have gone off drastically. The guys with all of the computers are probably better able than the driver to figure this out.
Vettel (admittedly out in clean air) made the softs last just about as long as a set of hards. I think Mercedes made the right call for their tire supply and tire wear, but it wasn't optimal for the race. Didn't Hamilton call for fresh softs at one point to be told they only had scuffs?

And for a sport that bans "driver coaching" I heard a heck of a lot of it on the radios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,181 posts, read 40,980,764 times
Reputation: 29918
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Perhaps this last race shows that given a car suited to the driver makes all the difference. Vettel drove masterfully and perhaps we see why he changed and why Ferrari wanted him. If Ferrari can gain more speed to use more down force; no telling; they could have a Red Bull equaling streak. I think Ferrari learned a lot when Kemi arrived last season on direction they need to go. Vettel didn't win four in a roll from not being great. He often reminds me of Schumacher; more a machine than human; given the right tool.
He's admittedly great when the car suits him but I'd say his results vs. Ricciardo last year in the same equipment leaves his true greatness on the all time list in question. Men like Fangio, Moss, et al went fast in anything they drove. He does seem quite energized by the move to Maranello, love them are hate them there's no denying Ferrari's rich history in F! and Vettel is said to be one with an appreciation of the history of the sport. Could be a very interesting season if Ferrari continues its upward trend and Williams improves a bit, hopefully they'll both adapt well to different racks and make Lewis and Nico work for results. I was glad to see Mercedes beaten in only the second race, it'll quiet down those crying about the alleged need for rules changes to make them competitive and show that the solution lies within their own teams.

And I was happy to see someone with actual ties to the sport conduct the podium interviews!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Portland
1,620 posts, read 1,730,790 times
Reputation: 1964
Here is a cool little graphic from Ferrari.

GP della Malesia | Scuderia Ferrari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 10:30 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Reputation: 18050
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He's admittedly great when the car suits him but I'd say his results vs. Ricciardo last year in the same equipment leaves his true greatness on the all time list in question. Men like Fangio, Moss, et al went fast in anything they drove. He does seem quite energized by the move to Maranello, love them are hate them there's no denying Ferrari's rich history in F! and Vettel is said to be one with an appreciation of the history of the sport. Could be a very interesting season if Ferrari continues its upward trend and Williams improves a bit, hopefully they'll both adapt well to different racks and make Lewis and Nico work for results. I was glad to see Mercedes beaten in only the second race, it'll quiet down those crying about the alleged need for rules changes to make them competitive and show that the solution lies within their own teams.

And I was happy to see someone with actual ties to the sport conduct the podium interviews!
But the same can be said of any driver. One always as to look at who gets what he wants especially in F1 .Look at Kemi one year then under top driver Alonzo and he certainly complained on the car setup wise. Then look this year. He looked like the driver with lotus. His coming in 4th was also a great drive. Ferrari certainly made a wise decision on changes in team .Lewis is knew what he was doing also in changing teams. I bet the world of F1 smiled see the results when they thought another Mercedes blowing everyone away. Ferrari still needs more engine power to be equal and use more down force in sectors needed. That was obvious from times but Vettel and Kemi made it work and their tire control was in impressive. Vettel didn't win four by luck as so many anti-German driver fans seem to wish. Bet we have seen the last of Ferrari fans booing Vettel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,181 posts, read 40,980,764 times
Reputation: 29918
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But the same can be said of any driver. One always as to look at who gets what he wants especially in F1 .Look at Kemi one year then under top driver Alonzo and he certainly complained on the car setup wise. Then look this year. He looked like the driver with lotus. His coming in 4th was also a great drive. Ferrari certainly made a wise decision on changes in team .Lewis is knew what he was doing also in changing teams. I bet the world of F1 smiled see the results when they thought another Mercedes blowing everyone away. Ferrari still needs more engine power to be equal and use more down force in sectors needed. That was obvious from times but Vettel and Kemi made it work and their tire control was in impressive. Vettel didn't win four by luck as so many anti-German driver fans seem to wish. Bet we have seen the last of Ferrari fans booing Vettel.
Ricciardo didn't beat his team mate by luck last year either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top