U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,369,051 times

Advertisements

All drivers are sensitive to the car they are driving. Some more than others.

Vettle and Kimi rely in front-end grip to carry as much speed possible through corners. If the front doesn't bite they don't like it. There's not a whole lot to do about it, they will struggle if that's the case.

Vettel in particular also mastered diffusers, cold blowing, and engine mapping to keep the car grounded through corners while extracting the most speed, features that were completely removed in the new regulations. He had completely molded his driving style to exploit those features, and when he found himself without them and in a car with much more torque, he just seemed kinda lotst. I guess the 2015 Ferrari is giving him the right feel.

Other drivers like Alonso seem to adapt to whatever the team throws at them, tame it, make it work somehow. That's titanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM

BTW, for all the crap people gave Red Bull over their promotions, all seem to be working out very well. Kvyat has been very reasonable vs Ricciardo, Verstappen has make all those OMG-17-it's-dangerous critics shut up, and Sainz has kept up with him and his hype.

Red Bull and McLaren are about the only team sponsoring junior drivers on merit alone, rather than nationality, sponsors or marketing potential. Good for them.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,089,773 times
well of course its about the cars that is now its was created. the cars get paid not the drivers at seasons end.Its based on advancement of car technology which is why its change engine this years. Companies pat a lot out and want return for their investment. The manufacturers championship is the key to advancing in payoff of money.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,649 times
Well that race was sort of fun. Have to say that I am less a fan of Maldonado with every year he is in F1, though.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM

10,668 posts, read 9,068,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Well that race was sort of fun. Have to say that I am less a fan of Maldonado with every year he is in F1, though.
I found myself absurdly happy when Kimi overtook Rosberg. He's not my favorite driver but in that moment, I was just so happy to not see another one two win for the Mercedes team and I really get annoyed by Rosberg as well. Of course, I'm a McLaren fan so I have to find something to cheer for this year.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:26 PM

34,479 posts, read 41,610,228 times
Watched the Bahrain race today, what caught my eye was the lack of spectators, The only place i saw people were around the start finish grandstands and they looked like there were many empty seats...

Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM

5,219 posts, read 5,891,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Watched the Bahrain race today, what caught my eye was the lack of spectators, The only place i saw people were around the start finish grandstands and they looked like there were many empty seats...
I believe it is just the same in China and South Korea.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:25 AM

653 posts, read 542,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
BTW, for all the crap people gave Red Bull over their promotions, all seem to be working out very well. Kvyat has been very reasonable vs Ricciardo, Verstappen has make all those OMG-17-it's-dangerous critics shut up, and Sainz has kept up with him and his hype.

Red Bull and McLaren are about the only team sponsoring junior drivers on merit alone, rather than nationality, sponsors or marketing potential. Good for them.
Kudos to them; I have nothing against pay drivers if they are truly talented but way too many potential greats are stuck at GP2 without getting a F1 drive.

Now we just need more real competition, instead of just knowing that Mercedes is nearly on its way to winning the season.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 AM

19 posts, read 11,720 times
Default Re:Collective

For a real driver a car is more than just a vehicle, many of them rely on technicalities, some rely on aerodynamics, most of them rely on their own skills. They pull off every hurdle to win the race and these F1 cars are the best mates of high speed racers.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Kudos to them; I have nothing against pay drivers if they are truly talented but way too many potential greats are stuck at GP2 without getting a F1 drive.
I don't agree with this. I don't think any super talents get stuck in GP2. Since 2010 -and with the exception of Grosjean in 2011- all GP2 champions have been journeymen who just happened to stay long enough (Maldonado, Valsecchi, Leimer, Palmer). GP2 is so expensive that we end up with veteran drivers with loads of budget and a couple of rookies. Up until last year, the most talented drivers ended up in WSbR 3.5 for budget reasons (Vergne, Ricciardo, Magnussen, Frinjs, Vandoorne for his rookie year, Sainz, Da Costa...)

This is really the first year in a while when the GP2 field has me excited: Vandoorne, Lynn, Gasley and Maricello all fighting it out. I suspect the reason is the new superlicense rules, that award a lot more points for winning GP2 than for winning 3.5. Red Bull and Mclaren used to run their prospects in 3.5 for cost reasons, now they are being forced into GP2 to be able to get their prospects a superlicense in a reasonable amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or