Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 AM

653 posts, read 743,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Where Bernie smells $$$ the F1 circus is sure to follow.
This may turn out to be like the Turkey GP - empty grandstands.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
This may turn out to be like the Turkey GP - empty grandstands.........
That might be a good thing in the long term. Personally, I'd like to see some rule changes. I'd like to see KERS eliminated, considering how much energy is consumed running wind tunnels 24/7 and flying the circus to points all around the world I think it's silly to portray the sport as 'green' based on fuel burned during a weekend event. I'm not a big fan of cylinder count by rule either, I miss the days when there would be V8s, V12s, and even H16s on the same grid. I think F1 needs a return to favoring innovation and less trending towards identical cars.

That being said, kick the tires, light the fires! I'm looking forward to the season and to next year when we'll see an American team in the mix.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:01 AM

653 posts, read 743,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That might be a good thing in the long term. Personally, I'd like to see some rule changes. I'd like to see KERS eliminated, considering how much energy is consumed running wind tunnels 24/7 and flying the circus to points all around the world I think it's silly to portray the sport as 'green' based on fuel burned during a weekend event. I'm not a big fan of cylinder count by rule either, I miss the days when there would be V8s, V12s, and even H16s on the same grid. I think F1 needs a return to favoring innovation and less trending towards identical cars.

That being said, kick the tires, light the fires! I'm looking forward to the season and to next year when we'll see an American team in the mix.
I don't mind the race being flown to all parts of the world; going to other parts of the world is a key strategy to tapping into emerging markets.

But to attract fans, they got to bring back the V12s.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
I don't mind the race being flown to all parts of the world; going to other parts of the world is a key strategy to tapping into emerging markets.
Oh, I don't mind them racing worldwide, I just find it silly portraying the sport as being 'green' considering how much energy it consumes both in aero development and getting the whole show around the world, actual race fuel used is a small amount of energy compared to either..

Quote:
But to attract fans, they got to bring back the V12s.
I'd prefer normally aspirated engines but would like to see cylinder count among other things like red line left to the individual constructors. I've often though it would be interesting to have a weight/liter formula, i.e. you could build a heavy car with a big engine or a light car with a small engine, and perhaps vary fuel allowance too. I miss the days when people created things like the 6 wheel Tyrrell and the Alfa 'fan' car, I just don't want F1 to become a spec car series.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
I want 900-1,000 hp.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I want 900-1,000 hp.
That's coming for 2017. It's very easy to reach that with a turbo engine, it's mostly reliability and consumption that gets tricky.

Personally I like the engine formula they are using, not because it's green but because it seems to be attracting manufacturers, such as Honda. The sport has to be relevant for manufacturers or else we'll end up with the privateers only.

They need to give more freedom for aero, though, the cars are getting dangerously close to spec. LMP1 at WEC is growing year by year because design is a lot freer. Audi, Toyota, Porsche are being joined by Nissan this year.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:32 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Free Practice One. YES!!!!

All is right in the world.......

Old 03-12-2015, 11:05 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
How does one guarantee you will never race in F-1 again? Go to court and try to force a team to put you in the seat. All I can say is wow. Well done Giedo van der Garde.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
How does one guarantee you will never race in F-1 again? Go to court and try to force a team to put you in the seat. All I can say is wow. Well done Giedo van der Garde.
I think he just wants to force a good settlement. They took his father in law's money and then pretended the contract didn't exist. Contracts have been a joke in F1 for far too long and it was about time a party took serious action. It looks like they are going to settle it in a matter of hours, because otherwise the team will (rightfully) be found in contempt of court and could see their assets seized in Australia. It's a shame it had to come to this, but Sauber have only themselves to blame.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Sauber is, indeed, a mess.

And I thought I had a realistic view of Honda's chances this season. Apparently I set the bar too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing