U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 09:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,162,183 times

Advertisements

For those that are serious race fans, (I'm not), do you think dirt track racing is dying. I live in central PA, a hotbed for sprint car racing. I know several people who are die hard dirt track fans, and they seem to always be talking about how as time goes on more and more teams are getting out of it, most cases its a money issue. Which makes sense because dirt track teams are usually sponsored by local "mom & pop" businesses and we all know what's happening to them. I will say, that although I don't go to dirt races often, mainly because I can't stand being around fat, drunken, cigarette smoking rednecks, which is about 90% of the people there, sprint cars going sideways around a dirt track is 100 times better watch than NASCAR. I seriously don't know how people even watch NASCAR. Hell, even NASCAR teams are struggling to attract sponsors these days. So is dirt track racing dying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
I think auto racing in general is in trouble. There's a generation of folks now that don't even want a drivers license so why would watch cars racing? Cars are becoming less popular as a toy. That hurts racing.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I think auto racing in general is in trouble. There's a generation of folks now that don't even want a drivers license so why would watch cars racing? Cars are becoming less popular as a toy. That hurts racing.
i think this is the more likely scenario. racing in general is declining somewhat, and the local events are the ones that suffer first.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,162,183 times
JonasW and rbohm you are both right. I believe the reason people don't have cars as "toys," (you know like a classic car that only gets out of the garage when the weather is perfect and the occasion is special), is economic. Most people just don't have the extra income for it

Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 AM

9,575 posts, read 4,589,584 times
We have a local 1/4 mile dirt track and over the last few years it has become too expensive to put a car in the races. Most of the better drivers have quit.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Yep; racing cost have gotten out of hand everywhere. F1 use to be a Europeans races series; not anymore. They said many of the new guys entering have to pay 8 million for a third tier ride. Its not just by chance Mercedes won by 35 seconds over nearest rival in third.Many of the manufactures have long turned to cheaper series like GP Proto to develop their engines and other in ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing