U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:38 AM

32,453 posts, read 26,325,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'd say Jeff Gordon.

Dale E owned NASCAR at the time, and then out of nowhere comes this "peach-fuzz" kid who beat Dale E every week!

We'll probably never see anything like that again.
yes we will. there are some notable up and comers in the ranks, kyle larson, kyle busch, chase elliot, among others. in ten years jeff gordon will be the same memory that dale earnhardt sr is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:32 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,867,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'd say Jeff Gordon.

Dale E owned NASCAR at the time, and then out of nowhere comes this "peach-fuzz" kid who beat Dale E every week!

We'll probably never see anything like that again.
You're not paying attention. Right now you are seeing another Dale Earnhardt sr in Kyle Bush (not my favorite)

Last edited by PDD; 09-14-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 03:15 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Gordon came in at the right time.. Certainly an exceptional driver, however, saying he is the best of all time.. I don't buy.. I'd give more credence to Jimmie Johnson for that. When Gordon was winning the bulk of his races in the late 90's.. There were still only 10-12 teams that were a threat to win every race.

Johnson, however, has won all his races since 2002, when the competition was massively intense.. Which is exactly the time that Gordon started to peter off.

I wouldn't give it to either though.. Tim Richmond has a strong claim based on pure talent. If this were best overall driver, he and AJ Foyt would be near the top.

Tony Stewart, up until the past few years, would have been in the list as well.

I guess I really have to go with Petty.. Yeah, he wasn't racing great competition.. But 200 top series wins. Until someone can come within a breath of that.. He's gotta be the King.

That being said.. Kyle Busch should break the 200 win mark, probably in 2017 or 2018, but they won't all be in Cup.

Right now, he's at 150.. 33 Cup wins, 73 Busch Series wins and 44 Truck series wins

So.. He certainly has a strong claim to best "NASCAR" driver, if you take all series into account.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:10 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Gordon came in at the right time.. Certainly an exceptional driver, however, saying he is the best of all time.. I don't buy.. I'd give more credence to Jimmie Johnson for that. When Gordon was winning the bulk of his races in the late 90's.. There were still only 10-12 teams that were a threat to win every race.

Johnson, however, has won all his races since 2002, when the competition was massively intense.. Which is exactly the time that Gordon started to peter off.

I wouldn't give it to either though.. Tim Richmond has a strong claim based on pure talent. If this were best overall driver, he and AJ Foyt would be near the top.

Tony Stewart, up until the past few years, would have been in the list as well.

I guess I really have to go with Petty.. Yeah, he wasn't racing great competition.. But 200 top series wins. Until someone can come within a breath of that.. He's gotta be the King.

That being said.. Kyle Busch should break the 200 win mark, probably in 2017 or 2018, but they won't all be in Cup.

Right now, he's at 150.. 33 Cup wins, 73 Busch Series wins and 44 Truck series wins

So.. He certainly has a strong claim to best "NASCAR" driver, if you take all series into account.
LOL. Johnson the best? Surely you jest. The only thing about that team that is "the best" is Chad Knaus. That man is a genius. Without Knaus, Johnson is a nobody.

Also, Gordon scored the most points in a season 7 times, which would mean without the Chase, he is a 7 time champion alongside Petty and Earnhardt. Not saying he is the best, but for a 10-15 year stretch he was the best in the sport.

I would say Kyle Busch is probably the best driver since the mid 2000s, but his mentality prevents him from ascending to the next level. And please, do not count "Busch/Nationwide/Xfinity" wins and truck series wins into his total. Cup wins are all that matters. Nobody is going back and adding wins to Mark Martin's career totals, or Harry Gant's totals, or Edwards or Keselowski or anyone else. And if you DO put faith in Xfinity wins for some reason, then why has Jimmie only won once in 93 career starts? And only 9 career top 5s? It's not because he has crappy equipment in that series either. He's been in Hendrick cars since 2003, and even before that was in the 92, the same team that Todd Bodine was almost unstoppable in.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:34 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,191,269 times
Davey Allison. If he had no died, Earnhardt, who admitted himself, would not have won 7 championships. I think by now, Allison Motorsports would be dominating the races!

Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Davey Allison. If he had no died, Earnhardt, who admitted himself, would not have won 7 championships. I think by now, Allison Motorsports would be dominating the races!
Davey Allison would be retired as a driver by now, most likely. He'd be 54 years old. But I don't buy that Earnhardt wouldn't be a 7 time champion if he had lived.

I think he might have taken a championship away from Earnhardt.. But, remember, when he died in '93, he wasn't REALLY competitive for the championship that year (By no means was he out of it) and since Earnhardt died in 94 (Edit - What the hell did I say there? lol.. Since Earnhard won his last championship in '94..).. That was his last chance to 'take one away' from Earnhardt.

I think it is more possible that Jeff Gordon wouldn't be a 4 time champion, or that Terry Labonte would only have 1 championship.

You can also wonder.. The real reason that Robert Yates went to 2 cars was to keep Dale Jarrett and Ernie Irvan.. Had Allison not died, Irvan wouldn't have had the Michigan accident with Yates, and perhaps, Yates doesn't expand to a multi-car team, which would have hurt Allison's chances for a championship starting in '97 or so.. I'd say his prime years to have won a championship would have been 95 to 2002.

As for Johnson/Gordon.. Remember that Gordon only has a handful of Xfinity wins. 5 wins in 73 races.

And, if you want to talk about the Herzog-Jackson Motorsports team that Todd Bodine was "tearing it up" in.. That team had 3 wins. Johnson had 1, Bodine had 2. Johnson finished 10th and 8th in points, Bodine 24th.. Johnson was new to the series, Bodine was an established veteran. And Bodine was released in that second year where he was doing so well in points because they couldn't get a sponsor.

Todd Bodine.. There's someone we can point to as cursed. Think of the bad situations he's been in.. The Tabasco Fiasco, sponsored by K-Mart when they went bankrupt, drove for Sam Belnavis who shut his team down and took sponsors to Roush.. Something bad happened with Lumber Liquidators, too, didn't it?

At least he wasn't involved in Bang! Racing or Tyler Jet.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM

3,033 posts, read 2,191,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Davey Allison would be retired as a driver by now, most likely. He'd be 54 years old. But I don't buy that Earnhardt wouldn't be a 7 time champion if he had lived.

I think he might have taken a championship away from Earnhardt.. But, remember, when he died in '93, he wasn't REALLY competitive for the championship that year (By no means was he out of it) and since Earnhardt died in 94 (Edit - What the hell did I say there? lol.. Since Earnhard won his last championship in '94..).. That was his last chance to 'take one away' from Earnhardt.

I think it is more possible that Jeff Gordon wouldn't be a 4 time champion, or that Terry Labonte would only have 1 championship.

You can also wonder.. The real reason that Robert Yates went to 2 cars was to keep Dale Jarrett and Ernie Irvan.. Had Allison not died, Irvan wouldn't have had the Michigan accident with Yates, and perhaps, Yates doesn't expand to a multi-car team, which would have hurt Allison's chances for a championship starting in '97 or so.. I'd say his prime years to have won a championship would have been 95 to 2002.

As for Johnson/Gordon.. Remember that Gordon only has a handful of Xfinity wins. 5 wins in 73 races.

And, if you want to talk about the Herzog-Jackson Motorsports team that Todd Bodine was "tearing it up" in.. That team had 3 wins. Johnson had 1, Bodine had 2. Johnson finished 10th and 8th in points, Bodine 24th.. Johnson was new to the series, Bodine was an established veteran. And Bodine was released in that second year where he was doing so well in points because they couldn't get a sponsor.

Todd Bodine.. There's someone we can point to as cursed. Think of the bad situations he's been in.. The Tabasco Fiasco, sponsored by K-Mart when they went bankrupt, drove for Sam Belnavis who shut his team down and took sponsors to Roush.. Something bad happened with Lumber Liquidators, too, didn't it?

At least he wasn't involved in Bang! Racing or Tyler Jet.
Earnhardt said it himself! I distinctively remember it, and Ill try to find it. Sure, Davey would be retired, probably, but I can see the possibility there would have been an Allison Motor Sports! The 2 car deal for RYR was in the works in the early 90s. I remember Robert talking about it. Daveys death put that on hold.

Todd Bodine....Hes a joke anyways!

Old 09-19-2015, 12:09 PM

32,453 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Quote:
all the bodine brothers are a joke, even though todd did win the craftsman truck season championship in 2006.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Earnhardt said it himself! I distinctively remember it, and Ill try to find it. Sure, Davey would be retired, probably, but I can see the possibility there would have been an Allison Motor Sports! The 2 car deal for RYR was in the works in the early 90s. I remember Robert talking about it. Daveys death put that on hold.

Oh, I remember him saying it.. Not disagreeing with you that he said it.. I just don't buy it when you look objectively at it.

There are 2 championships that Allison could have 'taken away' from Earnhardt. '93 and '94.

When Davey died in '93, he was 300 points back. There's not much of a chance that he would have overtaken Earnhardt. Stranger things have happened, but.. The odds aren't good.

So, that leaves '94.. And in 1994, Earnhardt won the title by 400 points over Mark Martin.. Yes, He and Irvan were in a tight battle before Ernie's Michigan accident, but he scored 4600+ (4694) points that year. The odds are very low that TWO other drivers would keep the pace that he did. It would be 1997 before someone surpassed that point total, and there was another race that year.

There's no way in hell he beats Gordon's 5300 points in 1998.

Unlikely he beats Jarrett or Labonte in 99/00..

So.. His best chances for a championship, my opinion.. '95, '96, '97 or '01.. With '95 or '01 being his best shot(past 1992, of course), because noone had a good year in '01. Gordon kinda won the championship by default. But, would Davey have started declining by that time?

Plus.. Davey was not exactly known for being healthy. If there was ever someone destined to die.. It was him. He was not a good points racer, either.

BTW.. Kyle Busch at 151.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:01 PM

139 posts, read 386,267 times
I attended my first race because of the Boy Scouts of America, I got tickets because I sold a lot of tickets for Scout-O-Rama in 1968. I got to see Riverside International Raceway and have been a fan of Nascar since. I was at Daytona Feb 18 2001 and bought Dale Earnhardt's jacket that morning, before the race started and since his death I haven't worn the jacket, I also have 23 die cast #3 cars, 1/24 scale. It has been sitting in my closet since I got home Feb 20, 2001 and I doubt I ever wear it again.

To me, Dale Earnhardt is still the man and I will always be a fan of the man. Of those racing now, it would be Kyle Busch driver of the #18 M&M's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or