U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:28 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,869,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Jeff did say that he would love to do Spa.

Here's a great article from one of the best racing journos out there, Nigel Roebuck.

What if Jeff Gordon had gone to F1? - NASCAR, Newsletter - Motor Sport Magazine
I couldn't have expressed the thoughts that I have had for years better than this article does.

I remember Jeff Gordon's days when his career started and he was an up and coming sprint car open wheel racer. Some of his races were on TV. His car control in those light but powerful cars was amazing.

As good as he was in NASCAR, I believe he would have been even better in the lighter Indy Cars where he probably would have been champion. He then would have been noticed by F1.

I remember being amazed at the time when Indycar (or whatever it was called back then) wouldn't give him a ride.

I hope he drives at LeMans.

When people ask, which they often do: where is the American Formula 1 championship driver? I always say he is driving in NASCAR he just has never been discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,912,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I couldn't have expressed the thoughts that I have had for years better than this article does.

I remember Jeff Gordon's days when his career started and he was an up and coming sprint car open wheel racer. Some of his races were on TV. His car control in those light but powerful cars was amazing.

As good as he was in NASCAR, I believe he would have been even better in the lighter Indy Cars where he probably would have been champion. He then would have been noticed by F1.

I remember being amazed at the time when Indycar (or whatever it was called back then) wouldn't give him a ride.

I hope he drives at LeMans.

When people ask, which they often do: where is the American Formula 1 championship driver? I always say he is driving in NASCAR he just has never been discovered.
I don't think many NASCAR drivers consider F1 an upgrade.

F1 is a demonstration in engineering excellence. (which factory spends the most)

NASCAR is a demonstration in car control. (which driver is better than the other)

NFN but many people think soccer is the real football, we know better.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,193,769 times
Would've been CART back when Gordon was coming up I think. And I have no doubt whatsoever that Gordon would have been CART champion if he drove in that series. I think he would have good in F1 as well but that would depend almost entirely on the ride he got. Great car and he would definitely have been the American champion for F1. The guy is a great driver.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:12 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,018,445 times
I think Gordon would have dominated the CART/IRL for some time had he joined. Really, who would have beaten him? Paul Tracy? Franchitti? Villeneuve was great, but he wasn't there long. Little Al was also very good, but I would still take Gordon. Gil de Ferran was good, but didn't win many races. Hornish was incredible in the IRL, but Gordon is still obviously the better driver.

The only guy I can think of that is a better open wheel driver than what Gordon would have been would be Montoya. When Montoya burst onto the scene with Chip Ganassi, he won everything in sight. Then he laughed when people told him he wouldn't dominate at Indianapolis in a car he had never driven before, and went out and led ~160 out of 200 laps. Montoya was only in Champ Car for 2 years though, and left for F1. I believe he was on contract with Williams even while racing for Ganassi in CART.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:57 AM

58,204 posts, read 41,108,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't think many NASCAR drivers consider F1 an upgrade.

F1 is a demonstration in engineering excellence. (which factory spends the most)

NASCAR is a demonstration in car control. (which driver is better than the other)

NFN but many people think soccer is the real football, we know better.
If that were true, Toyota would have done a lot better in F1 than they did.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If that were true, Toyota would have done a lot better in F1 than they did.
Let me rephrase that (which factory spends the most money wisely)

Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM

58,204 posts, read 41,108,122 times
Quote:
Let me rephrase that (which factory spends the most money wisely)
BIG difference, eh?

Red Bull did pretty well with 4 Constructor's Titles in a row with a reportedly much smaller budget than Ferrari and McLaren and Force India did pretty well this past season on low bucks.

That's why I hate the current rules, they stifle the innovators and innovation was often the most interesting part of F1.

I'd love to see number of cylinders and redline NOT be determined by the rulebook and would like to see ERS eliminated. No circus that flies itself all around the world can truly describe itself as 'green' and eliminating ERS would free-up development $$$ for the teams.

Last edited by burdell; 12-02-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,369,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Jeff did say that he would love to do Spa.

Here's a great article from one of the best racing journos out there, Nigel Roebuck.

What if Jeff Gordon had gone to F1? - NASCAR, Newsletter - Motor Sport Magazine
What a great read. Thanks! In the end racing is about driving a car as close as possible to the limit, so I'm sure the best NASCAR drivers would find the limit of a F1 car quickly and be reasonably on the pace, and viceversa. Montoya wasn't a NASCAR start but he never really looked out of place, so I'd expect the same from NASCAR drivers in F1, and maybe some would have done better (Jeff Gordon and Carl Edwards come to mind).

Old 12-13-2015, 12:31 PM

5,220 posts, read 5,892,592 times
Quote:
Gordon is the perfect fit for the assault on Lemans. It's only one race not a season commitment and his skills are as sharp as they will ever be right now,not two years from now.

If Ford can pull off an upset at LeMans on the 50th anniversary of the first time they accomplished that, Gordon will join a group of other great drivers who also won in NASCAR and LeMans. AJ Foyt, Dan Gurney Mario Andretti
Ford is not going to win the Le Mans 24h in 2016. The GT will compete in the GTE-Pro class. Le Mans is all about LMP1 now.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Ford is not going to win the Le Mans 24h in 2016. The GT will compete in the GTE-Pro class. Le Mans is all about LMP1 now.
Yes and Ford knows that. They are racing what they sell. Whats your point.
Should all the non LMP1 cars not show up? Road racing is always races within races.
Nobody will go to LeMans to watch only a handful of LMP1 cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing