U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:33 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times

Advertisements

Copied from Jayski,

• Jeff Gordon may not be done driving racecars after all: "I don't think he's through driving," said his [Jeff Gordon's] manager, Zak Brown, whose firm, Just Marketing, Inc., has represented Gordon for years. JMI is the largest motorsports marketing agency in the world, matching sponsors with race teams and series. Four of the last five major Formula One deals were brokered by JMI. Brown (no relation to musician Zac Brown, who JMI's Brown insists "spells 'Zak' all wrong!") and his company only represent one active driver - Gordon - though they also represent former F1 champions Sir Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda. Brown is a former professional racecar driver who only last year stepped away from the cockpit of the United Autosports team he co-owns, which races primarily in Europe and Asia, though he still competes in vintage races. And he suspects that while Jeff Gordon may indeed be done with driving in NASCAR, he isn't done with racing, most likely in sports cars. Gordon has repeatedly proven his expertise in NASCAR road races at tracks like Watkins Glen in New York and Sonoma Raceway in California. "If you look at champions like Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen, who left Formula One, took a breather, then came back to racing, I think that Jeff will take 12 or 24 months, and then when the right opportunity comes along, he'll be back," Brown told Autoblog. Endurance races such as the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona or the Twelve Hours of Sebring could be attractive, "and Jeff has shown a lot of interest in Le Mans. I'd be surprised if we never see him again behind the wheel of a race car."(AutoBlog)(11-24-2015)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,480 times
I wouldn't be surprised but I also wouldn't call it coming back to racing. He's only retired from nascar not racing.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:40 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Gordon is the perfect fit for the assault on Lemans. It's only one race not a season commitment and his skills are as sharp as they will ever be right now,not two years from now.

If Ford can pull off an upset at LeMans on the 50th anniversary of the first time they accomplished that, Gordon will join a group of other great drivers who also won in NASCAR and LeMans. AJ Foyt, Dan Gurney Mario Andretti

Old 11-24-2015, 03:34 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
I think you do see him step away from driving..

Listened to Bobby Labonte on The Late Shift last night.. He's got his dirt car building business, his charity bike ride.. Went over to Europe for Goodwood this year.. Says he's busier being 'retired' than he was when racing.

Said that the first race that he missed, Kentucky back in '13 or so, was really tough, but... Each weekend since then it's gotten easier and easier.. And now when people call for him to drive their car, he has no problem saying no.. He's happy driving the plate races and that's it. Which, he says, is exactly what Terry told him would happen.

Gordon, remember, will still be busy the first 18 weeks of the season or so with his commitment to Fox. Right as school gets out for the summer, he'll be freed up to spend time with his kids.. From ~June to February he'll get to be a full time dad.. I think he falls in love with that and even smaller things, like the 24 hours of Daytona, he won't want to put the time required into it.. Wouldn't surprise me to see him doing some Goodyear tire tests or similar.

If he does something.. I think he does it in the first year or so.. If he makes it past that.. I think the bug will have passed and he'll enjoy retirement. Now.. Let's say Kasey Kahne breaks his leg and is out for the final 3 months of the season.. And Rick Hendrick gives Jeff a call saying "I really need some help, here.." Well.. Gordon's in that car.

Stewart, on the other hand.. Not so sure. He has no kids to keep him busy.. Stewart, I think, is either going to be like a Kenny Schrader, racing everything he can get in.. Or 500lbs. I'm calling this right now.. Noone will remember it if i'm wrong.. But.. Stewart runs the 2017 Indy 500. He still wants that trophy.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Stewart did look fat Sunday. I mean he's really let himself go. I doubt he can fit into an IndyCar now. hehe =p Plus, I don't think IndyCar will exist in '17.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 AM

277 posts, read 233,013 times
Jeff did say that he would love to do Spa.

Here's a great article from one of the best racing journos out there, Nigel Roebuck.

What if Jeff Gordon had gone to F1? - NASCAR, Newsletter - Motor Sport Magazine

Old 11-29-2015, 07:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Gordon is also a main partner in the new race track complex being build on the Canadian side of the Niagara river. It will include a one mile oval, a drag strip, a 2 and a half mile F1 circuit, and a industrial complex for automotive testing and development.

JiM B.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:34 AM

^^That's interesting. Interesting location as well.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:23 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,162,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Stewart did look fat Sunday. I mean he's really let himself go. I doubt he can fit into an IndyCar now. hehe =p Plus, I don't think IndyCar will exist in '17.
I remember reading an interview Tony did with Rolling Stone several years ago. In it he said he loves race cars, p*ssy, and junk food. He hates to read and to exercise.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Stewart, on the other hand.. Not so sure. He has no kids to keep him busy.. Stewart, I think, is either going to be like a Kenny Schrader, racing everything he can get in.. Or 500lbs. I'm calling this right now.. Noone will remember it if i'm wrong.. But.. Stewart runs the 2017 Indy 500. He still wants that trophy.
Stewart has been chunky for many years; on the '05 SI cover he is holding his helmet is such a way as to conceal his pot belly.
Stewart/Haas is Stewart's future, it's the reason he bought into Haas racing for when he retired. He has Eldora Speedway also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing