U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:00 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,730,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Maldonado (my leaset favorite driver in the field) has lost his 20mil sponsorship and is out at Renault/Lotus, replaced by Kevin Magnussen.

Haas is supposed to debut their car at the Barcelona tests, very end of February (most everyone else will show early/mid Feb in "special press events").
Great news! That guy was going to kill someone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 AM

16 posts, read 11,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Haas is a bit nuts if he thinks that's happening. Probably be lucky if the car isn't staled on the grid for the first race. I do wonder about the USGP. Seems more of a money sink than a money maker. Dunno. Definitely not a strong market for F1.
It's not an impossible prospect if you think of the history of Australian GP openers. As one forum contributer noted, simply finishing a season-opener often guarantees a 75% shot of getting in the points due to the high attrition rate because of various technical problems that haven't been rooted out. So it is possible if they finish one or both drivers that they make it in the points by default. And it gets better if Honda-McClaren continues to struggle and Haas' machine is immediately faster than Manor or Sauber.

Besides which, I don't think Haas is underestimating the challenge that he faces which is why he partnered with Ferrari in the first place. He's stated that he basically started off in Nascar as a backmarker for years and it took close to a decade and a half to get where he is now. He expects to have to invest at least as much time and money in paying his dues to become successful in F1 and that includes expecting to bring up the rear in F1 for the first 5 years or so. He expects that because he experienced that first hand in Nascar. So I doubt he expects points in the first race but it's a goal for him just as it is for every other team on the grid, or at least it should be. Points mean money and prize money is the thing that makes it easier to be a team owner since it relieves an owner of the costs of R&D for the following season and enables a team to progress more.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:29 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,342,559 times
New F1 "knock out" qualifying scheme?

F1 set for knockout qualifying - PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

I don't see the benefit of this at all, either to viewing public or the teams. I'd be all for a system that eliminates teams squatting in the garage, saving tires for the race, but this isn't it. Give everyone several sets of tires for qualifying, let them scrub in a set of softs and hards and then give them all-new tires for the race.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:42 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,966,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
New F1 "knock out" qualifying scheme?

F1 set for knockout qualifying - PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

I don't see the benefit of this at all, either to viewing public or the teams. I'd be all for a system that eliminates teams squatting in the garage, saving tires for the race, but this isn't it. Give everyone several sets of tires for qualifying, let them scrub in a set of softs and hards and then give them all-new tires for the race.
I wish in general that they'd stop trying to be Formula Gimmick, starting with eliminating the KERS (or whatever they're calling them these days) systems. I think it's silly trying to portray a sport that runs wind tunnels 24/7 and flies tons and tons of cargo all around the world as 'green'.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
^^lol yeah, they can pretend the cars are 'green; but nothing surrounding the sport is remotely green. I do get tired of the qualifying gimmick of the week.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,966,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
^^lol yeah, they can pretend the cars are 'green; but nothing surrounding the sport is remotely green. I do get tired of the qualifying gimmick of the week.
I'd just like to see more emphasis on racing and less on show. I'd like to see a reduction in the importance of aero to allow smaller, less well funded teams to compete. If you look back as recently as '78, the year Mario won his title, there was really not much on that car that couldn't have been made in a well equipped hobbyist's shop when things like a competitive engine, gearbox, specialty castings, etc. were readily available to anyone with the $$$. It was more Chapman's imagination than super facilities that made the Lotus 79 a winner.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Default Australia GP

So, the schedule, as far as I can find it. Times appear to be US Pacific. Verify all of these before you trust them:

March 16, Wednesday
8:30pm: Haas F1, Return To The Grid

March 17, Thursday
5:30pm: Haas F1, Return To The Grid
6:30pm: Practice 1
10:00pm: "F1 Off The Grid" (whatever that is)
10:30pm: Practice 2

March 18, Friday
11pm: Qualifying (with the new qualy rules in place. Hmmm, we'll see what we think)

March 19, Saturday
9:00pm: F1 Countdown
9:30pm: Australian GP

I was hoping for a season pre show with the new rules, looks at the cars, team changes, etc, but apparently not.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:39 PM

Thanks for schedule! Is this on Fox again? A new season could use a bit more 'what's happened over the off-season' but oh well.

And Burdell, absolutely. I'd like to see engineering in all motorsports taken down a notch or 3. Less time in windtunnels and more flexibility for the wrenches in the garage.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 PM

Nope, NBCSN, which is, according to the Wiki, available on DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner (didn't they just get bought?) and AT&T. You can also live stream it on their web site.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Oh that's right. I don't get that one. =[ I remember this from last year. Thanks though. Maybe I'll try streaming or a pub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or