U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i didnt dilike jeff gordon for winning when he broke into sprint cup, in fact a was a jeff gordon fan when he was in busch series at the time. i was mad at gordon for screwing over bill davis by jumping to hendrick without any warning what so ever.
Moving up.. If you hate everyone for that, you'll be bad at everyone.

Dale Jarrett did it to Joe Gibbs when he went to Yates.. Tony Stewart did it to Gibbs to go to his own team..

Davis, if I remember correctly.. Didn't have Gordon under contract.. It's just that happened at a time when there was an 'unwritten rule' that your current team kinda had the rights to match any offer you received.. And Davis didn't get that opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Watched the 500. Last lap made it a little better, but overall it was a mostly bland and unremarkable race. Once the JGR cars hooked up the outside line was toast and it was follow the leader all day.

If NASCAR's gonna insist on keeping the plates then they should at least consider bringing back the 2001 aero package with the fin on the car's roof. That's the closest they've come to the slingshot since the late 70s.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Agreed that this race was not much fun to watch.. too much follow the leader for my taste but it wasn't the drivers fault as much as it was the outside lane simply was NOT moving.. what can you do about that???

I will say that the Daytona speedway makeover was pretty cool. The concourse is much improved. Nice ammenities everywhere... plenty of concourse sitting if you prefer to eat at a table, plus credit cards accepted at all food vendors.. minus the walk around guys and gals.

We had pretty cool seats (top row of level 1) which is cost us considerable more than we paid the past 3 years on the back stretch.
Getting out of parking was < 5 min once we arrived at our car.. compared to last year which was 2 plus hours.. (last year we parked in lot 10, this year lot 7.

Last edited by mco65; 02-23-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,934 times
Really surprising the parking has gotten that much better. How was the crowd?

As to the race, unfortunately nascar got the worst kind of re-enforcement from the 'sports media'. All I heard was 'closest finish ever!' which is cool, and was cool, but obviously these types only watch the last 15mins. It was a snoozer for 3:35mins.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Really surprising the parking has gotten that much better. How was the crowd?

As to the race, unfortunately nascar got the worst kind of re-enforcement from the 'sports media'. All I heard was 'closest finish ever!' which is cool, and was cool, but obviously these types only watch the last 15mins. It was a snoozer for 3:35mins.
From what i could tell, the place was packed. 200k in attendance. There might have been some single seats available in the upper deck areas but i know in the lower level, seats were few and far between as of a few months ago when i purchased my tickets. It took 30 minutes or so for the salesman to find 3 seats together for me.. and i ended up with ADA tickets because no standard seating for 3 together in the lower level was available.

We didn't set record time getting out to the bus at races end and in fact had to wait in line for the 3rd bus in our row before we got on.. so there had to of been at least 20 buses already loaded and gone before we left. not sure why, but perhaps we just got lucky. We parked in sec 12.. got to the car.. no one was around leaving.. we pulled right out and onto the dirt road and out of the parking lot with no more than a car or 2 in front of us. We had to leave heading NORTH and it was free sailing once we got on pavement.. they were blocking all traffic bound WEST for the next 2 lights... but once we were able to turn left, we did which was perfect because hotel was North bound on Williamson BLVD about 7 miles away... from lot 7. From the time the checkered flag waved until we were back in the hotel room could not have been more than 30-45 minutes for us... last year, same hotel but of course we were in lot 10 (which is no longer available) it took us 2 plus hours.

Last edited by mco65; 02-23-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
SHR to Ford for 2017..

I was checking the calendar on that.. Figured it had to be an April Fools Joke.

Chevy loses about half their star lineup.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,542,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Watched the 500. Last lap made it a little better, but overall it was a mostly bland and unremarkable race. Once the JGR cars hooked up the outside line was toast and it was follow the leader all day.

If NASCAR's gonna insist on keeping the plates then they should at least consider bringing back the 2001 aero package with the fin on the car's roof. That's the closest they've come to the slingshot since the late 70s.
What they need to do is get rid of the splitter and rear spoiler altogether. I agree with Jr. with respect to how cars should be designed now.
Go back to no aero package and let 'em actually drive the cars and use whatever skills they have to win instead of pretty much just being along for the ride...

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,871,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
SHR to Ford for 2017..

I was checking the calendar on that.. Figured it had to be an April Fools Joke.

Chevy loses about half their star lineup.
This is shocking considering the success they have had with running Hendrick chassis and engines.

I thought if anybody was going to switch manufacturers it was going to be Ganassi since they run Fords in the Rolex series.

Perhaps that will also happen.

I just can't imagine Harvick driving a Ford. And we certainly don't need Danica in a Ford.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,720,564 times
Yeah, that is very shocking. I always thought Stewart was a diehard Chevy guy. Ford must have offered a bunch of money. Although it makes sense considering they haven't had more than one or two serious championship threats since 2005. I wonder how Roush feels about this.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 AM

668 posts, read 467,340 times
Hopefully Bush and Harvick can get out of their contracts and drive for a competitive team again. power

Last edited by unlblkrubi; 02-24-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or