U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 11:35 AM

9,431 posts, read 7,112,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think the winner of the race moment for this weekend is.... Jimmie Johnson for not locking in his steering wheel and crashing into the wall.

He'll never,ever live this down <sigh>.

GO JIMMIE #48 (but lock in that wheel from now on)
No.. Steve Park never lived it down.

And.. If I recall.. It wasn't Steve Park that lost the steering wheel was it? He was just hit.. AJ Foyt wasn't it?

Jimmy at least walked away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 12:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,160,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No.. Steve Park never lived it down.

And.. If I recall.. It wasn't Steve Park that lost the steering wheel was it? He was just hit.. AJ Foyt wasn't it?

Jimmy at least walked away.
I remeber that Park incident.............scary. He had a few from what I recall, always liked that guy, he just had some bad luck.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I remeber that Park incident.............scary. He had a few from what I recall, always liked that guy, he just had some bad luck.
Yeah.. '98 (I think).. His rookie year.. Broke his leg at Atlanta, as I recall. That was the whole thing where DW got his last top-5 and gave the whole "They didn't throw enough dirt on me" speech. The Tabasco Fiasco threw the rest of the dirt on him.

Then, 3 years later, he's won a couple of races, then AJ Foyt turns in front of him at Darlington when the steering wheel comes off.. Major head injury and he was just never right after that. He came back in '02 and was basically traded with RCR for Jeff Green then released.

He couldn't even speak normally after that wreck and while i haven't heard him in 4 or 5 years.. I don't think he speaks normally now.

Ah.. There it is.. Had to read up on it.. It was Steve Park's steering wheel that came off, and he turned left right into the path of AJ Foyt. Nailed in the drivers side door. Foyt was coming up to speed to catch up to the field.

This was all pre-COT.. Very possible that he might not have been hurt as bad with the new cars with the foam in the sides. Same with Jerry Nadeau. Both of them are amazingly lucky to be alive.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:22 PM

3,042 posts, read 2,205,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. '98 (I think).. His rookie year.. Broke his leg at Atlanta, as I recall. That was the whole thing where DW got his last top-5 and gave the whole "They didn't throw enough dirt on me" speech. The Tabasco Fiasco threw the rest of the dirt on him.

Then, 3 years later, he's won a couple of races, then AJ Foyt turns in front of him at Darlington when the steering wheel comes off.. Major head injury and he was just never right after that. He came back in '02 and was basically traded with RCR for Jeff Green then released.

He couldn't even speak normally after that wreck and while i haven't heard him in 4 or 5 years.. I don't think he speaks normally now.

Ah.. There it is.. Had to read up on it.. It was Steve Park's steering wheel that came off, and he turned left right into the path of AJ Foyt. Nailed in the drivers side door. Foyt was coming up to speed to catch up to the field.

This was all pre-COT.. Very possible that he might not have been hurt as bad with the new cars with the foam in the sides. Same with Jerry Nadeau. Both of them are amazingly lucky to be alive.

LARRY Foyt.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
LARRY Foyt.
Oops.. Yeah.. AJ would have been about 70 then.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:40 AM

1,031 posts, read 952,745 times
That wreck was bad. Last I knew Steve Park had married and had a baby...that had to be 3+ yrs ago. His father and uncle were great modified drivers here on LI.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:46 AM

Way to go Shrubster!! I'm sure he will find a spot for those clocks!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 PM

3,042 posts, read 2,205,800 times
OK, watching this "special" during the rain delay. What in the world is wrong with ole Humpy? I mean he looks like hes been doing meth!!!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
OK, watching this "special" during the rain delay. What in the world is wrong with ole Humpy? I mean he looks like hes been doing meth!!!
Cancer, wasn't it? Yeah.. He had prostate cancer a few years ago and had radiation and chemotherapy.

Supposedly cancer free now.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 AM

Gotta say way to go Shrub once again......he has been bringing it since his return from the injuries!! GO KYLE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or