U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM
 
9,437 posts, read 7,119,392 times
Reputation: 12212

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you thought the Chase was a stupid idea - get ready for NASCAR's equivalent of TV timeouts. New for 2016 the Truck Series will have a "Caution Clock." Forced competition cautions every 20 minutes. Good luck trying to get into a rhythm.
Didn't they do this in the 98 season?

From 95 to 97 they did halftime.. Then in 98 they went to 'competition cautions' 4 times a race, which was the only time that teams could change tires, unless one failed, or debris was run over or similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2016, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
3,044 posts, read 2,209,219 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Tracks continuing to shave off capacity.. Richmond removing all backstretch seating (I was in that seating for the fall 2000 race that Gordon won with the 'platinum' intake or whatever) and I think Charlotte is removing the Diamond Tower Terrace, which was my go-to seating choice there..

Just a note.. Blaney full time in the 21 isn't particularly accurate, though it's not wrong.. Probably more apt to say that the 21 returns to full time competition with Blaney as the driver.

I remember when they were built. I don't think Ive ever seen them full, or for that matter, open. But the only races I went to at Charlotte since they were built were The Winstons, went from the first one under the lights, up to the very last Winston, so I haven't been there in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
3,003 posts, read 3,161,555 times
Reputation: 1652
Now that my football season has come to an end , I can start to get into racing mode. Look forward to the 18 team going back to back, since my Pats could not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,572 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Reputation: 9844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Now that my football season has come to an end , I can start to get into racing mode. Look forward to the 18 team going back to back, since my Pats could not.
Would it change your allegiance if you found out Kyle Busch is a Broncos fan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
3,003 posts, read 3,161,555 times
Reputation: 1652
His being a Bronco fan does not change my fandom.......he's the best out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 PM
 
9,437 posts, read 7,119,392 times
Reputation: 12212
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I remember when they were built. I don't think Ive ever seen them full, or for that matter, open. But the only races I went to at Charlotte since they were built were The Winstons, went from the first one under the lights, up to the very last Winston, so I haven't been there in a few years.
That's what I would always go to, and that's the reason I always liked the Diamond Tower Terrace, because they were never full.. And, honestly, Turn 2 was a good place to watch the race and if you sat high enough in the Diamond Tower, you had some shade (Or, 2 years, protection from rain)

I was there for the '01 Winston where it rained and half the field wrecked on the start of the race.. And sat there through the delays.. Funniest thing I've ever seen.. There were 3 guys who had been overserved by the time the Winston actually started.. Then they decided to break out the pot and light up.

One of them apparently had to go to the bathroom.. Drunk, stoned and wet steps are a bad combination. He slipped and fell at row 80 and didn't stop until about row 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
3,044 posts, read 2,209,219 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's what I would always go to, and that's the reason I always liked the Diamond Tower Terrace, because they were never full.. And, honestly, Turn 2 was a good place to watch the race and if you sat high enough in the Diamond Tower, you had some shade (Or, 2 years, protection from rain)

I was there for the '01 Winston where it rained and half the field wrecked on the start of the race.. And sat there through the delays.. Funniest thing I've ever seen.. There were 3 guys who had been overserved by the time the Winston actually started.. Then they decided to break out the pot and light up.

One of them apparently had to go to the bathroom.. Drunk, stoned and wet steps are a bad combination. He slipped and fell at row 80 and didn't stop until about row 35.



My favorite memories of The Winston, Richard Petty taking the lead in the Open, Jeff Gordon running out of gas, and the gal who had on a bikini top that was a Confedrate flag on each, um, one. My brother and I both started singing Dixie!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,637 posts, read 4,232,451 times
Reputation: 4591
gonna be a great season. I almost waited too long this year before getting my Daytona 500 tickets and there are few left (at least in the cheap seats)... of course tearing down the back stretch has something to do with that.. but at least for the 500, NASCAR appears to be just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,894,200 times
Reputation: 11886
I want NASCAR to stop this silliness with restarts. The leader of the race deserves to start first not side by side with somebody who was 5 seconds behind with a few laps remaining.

It used to be that way back when NASCAR had better races, the lead lap cars started single file and the lap down cars beside them. Stop this pansy racing of getting a free pass.
This is the major league of racing not the little league where everybody gets a trophy.
If you can't run fast enough to stay on the lead lap you don't deserve a free pass.

Rant over for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,190,010 times
Reputation: 4514
^^Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top