U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,185,491 times
Reputation: 4514

Advertisements

Yeah it was good race. Definitely need more of those and at least 1 in the chase. Glad Tony got the win. Those last few laps were tight. It was surprising Hamlin blew that last corner, he really must've been mirror driving. Of course he knew Stewart was going to bomb that corner and try to get to his bumper but still, surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 AM
 
32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
Reputation: 19100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah it was good race. Definitely need more of those and at least 1 in the chase. Glad Tony got the win. Those last few laps were tight. It was surprising Hamlin blew that last corner, he really must've been mirror driving. Of course he knew Stewart was going to bomb that corner and try to get to his bumper but still, surprising.
in the post race interview, hamlin did admit to mirror driving and missing the corner. his team spotter should have been telling him how far back stewart was, and just telling him to hit his marks. so either hamlin ignored him or he wasnt given regular updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in the post race interview, hamlin did admit to mirror driving and missing the corner. his team spotter should have been telling him how far back stewart was, and just telling him to hit his marks. so either hamlin ignored him or he wasnt given regular updates.
I think Hamlin "accidentally" over drove the last corner. This gave Tony the opportunity for a needed win that Hamlin did not need. It was either that or suffer the wrath of Stewart for passing him the corner before.

It was good that Stewart won so we didn't have to listen to him complain about all the bad drivers out there getting in his way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,185,491 times
Reputation: 4514
heh, he's not wrong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 AM
 
Location: the sticks
810 posts, read 1,301,528 times
Reputation: 572
kyle just tore one up in practice, rt rear tire blew.

as I watch a little practice, the announcers are all talking about the pressure to win a race here in the last of the regular season, to automatically qualify for the 'Cup', otherwise, 'no telling or no promises of getting in.

So, what if a driver that did not get his win during reg season or did not qualify by the other rule of finishing in the top 16 points - what if that driver won the rest of the races this season, the ones that a non qualified driver is really just showing up for (of course, there is the $$. but ...). The last 10 or so races are the 'tournament' for the qualifiers, not really points racing for the rest of the field, except for spots 17 thru.

What if a non top 16 driver won like 5 or 6 or all of the remaining races AFTER the qualifier 'tournament' is decided. huh, Brian, huh ??

Last edited by burr; 07-01-2016 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 10:26 AM
 
32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
Reputation: 19100
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
kyle just tore one up in practice, rt rear tire blew.

as I watch a little practice, the announcers are all talking about the pressure to win a race here in the last of the regular season, to automatically qualify for the 'Cup', otherwise, 'no telling or no promises of getting in.

So, what if a driver that did not get his win during reg season or did not qualify by the other rule of finishing in the top 16 points - what if that driver won the rest of the races this season, the ones that a non qualified driver is really just showing up for (of course, there is the $$. but ...). The last 10 or so races are the 'tournament' for the qualifiers, not really points racing for the rest of the field, except for spots 17 thru.

What if a non top 16 driver won like 5 or 6 or all of the remaining races AFTER the qualifier 'tournament' is decided. huh, Brian, huh ??
there is still a monetary reward at the end of the season for finishing higher in the points than the other drivers. also when those drives in the chase get knocked out of the chase, they revert back to the points they would have had if they had not been in the chase, which means that ultimately non chase drivers are fighting for fifth place in the points. the top ten get their way paid to the end fo the season banquet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 01:34 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
kyle just tore one up in practice, rt rear tire blew.

as I watch a little practice, the announcers are all talking about the pressure to win a race here in the last of the regular season, to automatically qualify for the 'Cup', otherwise, 'no telling or no promises of getting in.

So, what if a driver that did not get his win during reg season or did not qualify by the other rule of finishing in the top 16 points - what if that driver won the rest of the races this season, the ones that a non qualified driver is really just showing up for (of course, there is the $$. but ...). The last 10 or so races are the 'tournament' for the qualifiers, not really points racing for the rest of the field, except for spots 17 thru.

What if a non top 16 driver won like 5 or 6 or all of the remaining races AFTER the qualifier 'tournament' is decided. huh, Brian, huh ??
Under what points system would that have made him the Champ?

Last year, the first driver out of the chase was about 250 points behind the leader. Not mathematically impossible for him to overtake the leader, but.. leader would only have to score 180 points.. Which is about.. 25th place, give or take.

I'd say, talk to me when it happens. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 03:19 PM
 
Location: the sticks
810 posts, read 1,301,528 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Under what points system would that have made him the Champ?

Last year, the first driver out of the chase was about 250 points behind the leader. Not mathematically impossible for him to overtake the leader, but.. leader would only have to score 180 points.. Which is about.. 25th place, give or take.

I'd say, talk to me when it happens. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
Well, if it is possible but not probable is one thing - but to eliminate altogether just for the top 16 tournament and make it NOT possible for the rest (even if it is only the next couple) is about stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 09:10 PM
 
32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
Reputation: 19100
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Well, if it is possible but not probable is one thing - but to eliminate altogether just for the top 16 tournament and make it NOT possible for the rest (even if it is only the next couple) is about stupid.
so you would somehow make it possible for someone who misses the cut for the chase, to still win the series championship? if so then why bother with the chase format as is? just set it up to where the person that wins the last race of the season wins the championship, or go back to what was done before the chase was instituted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2016, 07:10 AM
 
Location: the sticks
810 posts, read 1,301,528 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so you would somehow make it possible for someone who misses the cut for the chase, to still win the series championship? if so then why bother with the chase format as is? just set it up to where the person that wins the last race of the season wins the championship, or go back to what was done before the chase was instituted.
Well if it is a season long award and a champ earns the title from a season, then the season long effort should be considered where as now, it is pretty much a crap shoot with eliminations after each race of this 'chase'. A few tweeks in the point system would not be bad but the eliminations is only for TV, $$, and media effects. Maybe it's me but sponsors like TV time.

maybe more emphasis (points) for wins, poles, laps led, even pit type rewards (points). If JD Mcduffie led 180 laps then got caught up in a wreck, make it worth a little more than a 38th place finish. I'm not a real big fan of the overtime either, they used to finish under yellow, seems like overtime is just to tear up a lotta cars and get the media attention (again). Gas mileage wins are one thing but ...

Last edited by burr; 07-02-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top