U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 06:15 AM

5,805 posts, read 6,591,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Where have you heard these rumors? I haven't read anything aside from speculation from fans.
Which is why I called them rumors.

I would rather see Jr back in his car, but not to the detriment of possible future brain issues.

At least these rumors are bringing some attention back to NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,190,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Gordon retired because he was on the downside of his career. He could still win almost any race but he is not the same Gordon he was ten years ago.

He was the best driver I ever saw during his prime but he is not even in the top 10 of today's' drivers.
I can't come with up 10 drivers better than him right now. I'd put him top5 right this second.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,897,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I can't come with up 10 drivers better than him right now. I'd put him top5 right this second.
Right now all the winning drivers in the chase have more recent wins than Gordon. (last three years)

What have you done lately is all that counts.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,724,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Which is why I called them rumors.

I would rather see Jr back in his car, but not to the detriment of possible future brain issues.

At least these rumors are bringing some attention back to NASCAR.

Uh, that's not what a rumor is. A rumor would be based on something someone heard from an inside source. Fan speculation does not equal a rumor.

I would honestly rather see Gordon in the car this weekend since he's my favorite driver lol, but Jr being back in the car after that means he is "in the clear." I have a feeling he'll be done with racing after 2018. Or earlier depending on how he progresses.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Uh, that's not what a rumor is. A rumor would be based on something someone heard from an inside source. Fan speculation does not equal a rumor.

I would honestly rather see Gordon in the car this weekend since he's my favorite driver lol, but Jr being back in the car after that means he is "in the clear." I have a feeling he'll be done with racing after 2018. Or earlier depending on how he progresses.
Quote:
ru·mor

noun
1. a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.
"they were investigating rumors of a massacre"
synonyms: gossip, hearsay, talk, tittle-tattle, speculation, word;

Well that's how I learned what rumor was. I suppose you learned differently.

But I do agree with you on Gordon, as he was my favorite driver as well. So then I moved on to root full time for Dale and it does seem to be a good time for him to start considering retirement. I just hope he can go out with full honors like Gordon got to. (A full year of racing, saying goodbye to fans - unlike what happened to Smoke).

Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM

814 posts, read 1,303,883 times
Can someone tell me why they go to Loudon NH TWICE A SEASON ? Quite a crowd up there, at least 20K. real nascar roots up there buddy.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:30 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,724,438 times
Gordon to drive at Indianapolis and Pocono.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:31 AM

2,837 posts, read 1,930,804 times
Jeff Gordon is replacing Earnhardt Jr. in the 88 at both Indianapolis and Pocono races.

www:nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/07/20/jeff-gordon-to-drive-no-88-car-for-dale-earnhardt-jr-at-indianapolis/

Old 07-20-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Can someone tell me why they go to Loudon NH TWICE A SEASON ? Quite a crowd up there, at least 20K. real nascar roots up there buddy.
With Sprint looking to pullout and not renew their contract, I'm surprised that NASCAR can ask for even more $$$ from the next sponsor with the falling attendance and ratings.

At least this Sunday's race will see a rise with Jeff driving the 88.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,068,422 times
Gordon in the car is a little bittersweet. It will be fun to have him in a couple races, but it is hard for me to take a lot of joy in it due to Jr's health issues. Filling in for someone with neurological problems is not how really want to see Gordon get into a race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Right now all the winning drivers in the chase have more recent wins than Gordon. (last three years)

What have you done lately is all that counts.
I'd say it's been nearly 10 years now since Gordon was truly in the top class of drivers. He has been close for most of that time, but by his mid 30's, his ability to dominate races and the season had clearly diminished. Not saying he did not have any great races or runs, as he certainly did over that timespan. However, he was never really a top contender for a title anymore, and he had way too many seasons sprinkled over the last 8-10 years of his career with 0 or 1 victory for a season... which certainly is not becoming of the top tier talent in the sport over that timeframe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or