U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,806 posts, read 6,597,888 times
Reputation: 4178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Gordon in the car is a little bittersweet. It will be fun to have him in a couple races, but it is hard for me to take a lot of joy in it due to Jr's health issues. Filling in for someone with neurological problems is not how really want to see Gordon get into a race.
It certainly will be bittersweet, but I don't see any other way to see Gordon in a Sprint Cup car if he is not filling in for a driver. Smoke wanted him for the Daytona race, but due to his Fox Sports commitment, he could not race.

No owner with high end equipment can afford to "give" Jeff a ride for sentimental reasons. Not even HMS - since most of the top tier teams are all competing for the Chase and every point counts. I'm sure there are many lower tier teams that would love to have the recognition and possible better pay day with Jeff driving one of their cars, but Jeff most likely wouldn't drive unless it was something fun to do. Or in this case, helping out an old friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,715 posts, read 2,726,669 times
Reputation: 1460
Gordon 9th in first practice. Picking up right where he left off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Upstate
5,806 posts, read 6,597,888 times
Reputation: 4178
Just for fun...let's say that Jeff wins at Indy. Will people be saying:
1. Jeff has cemented his place in history as one of the greatest drivers ever.

2. Why hasn't Dale been able to do this?

3. NASCAR is rigged!
My feeling is it will be all of the above. But I agree with #1!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,597,452 times
Reputation: 15496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Gordon in the car is a little bittersweet. It will be fun to have him in a couple races, but it is hard for me to take a lot of joy in it due to Jr's health issues. Filling in for someone with neurological problems is not how really want to see Gordon get into a race.




I'd say it's been nearly 10 years now since Gordon was truly in the top class of drivers. He has been close for most of that time, but by his mid 30's, his ability to dominate races and the season had clearly diminished. Not saying he did not have any great races or runs, as he certainly did over that timespan. However, he was never really a top contender for a title anymore, and he had way too many seasons sprinkled over the last 8-10 years of his career with 0 or 1 victory for a season... which certainly is not becoming of the top tier talent in the sport over that timeframe.
I've been thinking about this Jeff thing and what you say about being in the "top class of drivers". Over the years it's occurred to me that those who are slipping or have slipped out of that small/elite "top class" usually have had life changes that probably caused the slippage.

As one gets older and has a family, as in children, not just a wife, one gains a perspective about staying alive and productive that I fully believe hampers the ability to take risks and persecute minuscule advantages required to consistently win races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 07:39 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,912,553 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just for fun...let's say that Jeff wins at Indy. Will people be saying:
1. Jeff has cemented his place in history as one of the greatest drivers ever.

2. Why hasn't Dale been able to do this?

3. NASCAR is rigged!
My feeling is it will be all of the above. But I agree with #1!
Gordon will always be regarded as one of the best ever.

If he wins the race tomorrow it will be because he was in the right place at the right time, pit strategy, late race caution or any number of things it will not be because he out drove today best drivers.


If Tony Stewart wins the race I might think it was rigged.


The reason Dale doesn't win more is because he is not the best driver in the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 AM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,145,585 times
Reputation: 12244
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Can someone tell me why they go to Loudon NH TWICE A SEASON ? Quite a crowd up there, at least 20K. real nascar roots up there buddy.
Because in 1995 Bruton Smith bought half of North Wilkesboro.. In 1996, Bob Bahre of New Hampshire bought the other half. They each took a date. Bruton's went to Texas while Bahre used his date for a second race at New Hampshire.

New Hampshire used to have really good racing.. You have to go back a ways.. Late 90's.. But it was good. Pocono is much the same. I wouldn't have a problem with them losing a race each.. But, where does it go? I don't see giving anyone a second date.. So, new venue.. Iowa would be interesting, but they need to expand to hold a Cup race. I've been there for a truck race and it's a beautiful facility, but.. I'd love to see another road course. I rather liked the one that the Busch series went to in Canada. I still like the fact that the Busch series goes to 3 road courses in 4 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If Tony Stewart wins the race I might think it was rigged.


The reason Dale doesn't win more is because he is not the best driver in the field.
Stewart has been running much better lately. It wouldn't be that big a surprise for him to win.

Earnhardt Jr will, in history, fall into the Kyle Petty area of driver. Son of a legend who did well but nowhere close to what his father did. The difference will likely be that Junior will retire well before he COULD have and not basically be kicked out the door after 10 years of being non-competitive like Kyle.

Junior, I think, has less than 4 years of full time racing left in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Alabama
668 posts, read 469,153 times
Reputation: 1063
Another boring race (Brickyard) coming today. Too big a track and the cars to spread out. This isn't even close to racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 01:43 PM
 
32,541 posts, read 26,457,600 times
Reputation: 19181
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Another boring race (Brickyard) coming today. Too big a track and the cars to spread out. This isn't even close to racing.
then dont watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,597,452 times
Reputation: 15496
Wellllll, even though I can not STAND Kyle he certainly deserved the win today. I don't know how he does it but he drove the freekin' wheels off that car today! Nobody could even get close enough to challenge him.

At least Jimmie got a 3rd place...
GO #48!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,912,553 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wellllll, even though I can not STAND Kyle he certainly deserved the win today. I don't know how he does it but he drove the freekin' wheels off that car today! Nobody could even get close enough to challenge him.

At least Jimmie got a 3rd place...
GO #48!!!!!!
You don't know how he does it? He does it the same way most of the races are won by Toyota. Factory support like we haven't seen since the 60's.
Total NASCAR domination is what Toyota is going after and they are doing a good job.

The fastest cars may not win every race but it sure increases their chances.

That's how Kyle does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top