U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2016, 07:28 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,105,331 times
Reputation: 12202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You don't know how he does it? He does it the same way most of the races are won by Toyota. Factory support like we haven't seen since the 60's.
Total NASCAR domination is what Toyota is going after and they are doing a good job.

The fastest cars may not win every race but it sure increases their chances.

That's how Kyle does it.
Well, let's be honest here, too.. Toyota has 5 of the top 10 to 12 drivers in the series.

Kenseth, Edwards, Busch, Hamlin and Truex. An argument could be made that Hamlin and Truex are 'tier 2'..

Chevy has Johnson, Busch and Harvick.. If we're calling Hamlin and Truex top tier drivers, then we'd have to count Earnhardt in here. Stewart I don't think qualifies as top tier any longer. Busch, Harvick and Stewart are gone after this year.

Ford.. Let's be honest.. It's Team Penske. Keselowski and Logano.

You look at the up and comers.. Chevy has Elliott and Larson who I think will both be top tier. Ty Dillon I think will be a second tier driver, along the Almirola lines. Solid driver, but never a breakout star.

Ford.. Who does Ford have? The only one that I see with potential is Bubba Wallace.

Toyota.. Suarez and Jones. The latter of which I suspect will be in a Cup car next year. Calling this now. He'll be in the 87, teammate to Truex. The only part of that I feel I could be wrong about is the car number.


I'm kicking the hell out of myself. I was in Vegas last week and sat at the sportsbook for 30 minutes debating whether to put $20 on Kyle in both races. I finally opted not to because the odds were pretty horrible. 1/1 for the Busch race and 11/2 for the Cup race. I was reasonably certain on the Busch race, but the odds were too bad. Bet $20 win $20. For cup, bet $20 to win $110... So.. I screwed myself out of $130.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Alabama
668 posts, read 467,840 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then dont watch it.
I switched over to it a few times. Even the stands were 75% empty. I don't think you need to worry about what drivers are up and coming, the sport has played out. I.ve been a supporter for 20 years and lately its a snooze fest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,803 posts, read 6,584,716 times
Reputation: 4177
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
I switched over to it a few times. Even the stands were 75% empty. I don't think you need to worry about what drivers are up and coming, the sport has played out. I.ve been a supporter for 20 years and lately its a snooze fest
I decided to try to watch the whole race, since I have't since Daytona. Wanted to see Jeff and Tony and was hoping to see something interesting there. I certainly applaud Kyle in his dominant win, but except for a couple of late accidents, there was little drama and zero excitement in this race - which is becoming a pattern.

The after race lap by Jeff & Tony was nice to see.

Kudos to Toyota and JGR that have supplanted Chevy and HMS at the top of the heap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,557,179 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
I switched over to it a few times. Even the stands were 75% empty. I don't think you need to worry about what drivers are up and coming, the sport has played out. I.ve been a supporter for 20 years and lately its a snooze fest
I believe this is due to NASCAR and it's mass production of cookie cutter cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,883,407 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, let's be honest here, too.. Toyota has 5 of the top 10 to 12 drivers in the series.

Kenseth, Edwards, Busch, Hamlin and Truex. An argument could be made that Hamlin and Truex are 'tier 2'..

Chevy has Johnson, Busch and Harvick.. If we're calling Hamlin and Truex top tier drivers, then we'd have to count Earnhardt in here. Stewart I don't think qualifies as top tier any longer. Busch, Harvick and Stewart are gone after this year.

Ford.. Let's be honest.. It's Team Penske. Keselowski and Logano.

You look at the up and comers.. Chevy has Elliott and Larson who I think will both be top tier. Ty Dillon I think will be a second tier driver, along the Almirola lines. Solid driver, but never a breakout star.

Ford.. Who does Ford have? The only one that I see with potential is Bubba Wallace.

Toyota.. Suarez and Jones. The latter of which I suspect will be in a Cup car next year. Calling this now. He'll be in the 87, teammate to Truex. The only part of that I feel I could be wrong about is the car number.


I'm kicking the hell out of myself. I was in Vegas last week and sat at the sportsbook for 30 minutes debating whether to put $20 on Kyle in both races. I finally opted not to because the odds were pretty horrible. 1/1 for the Busch race and 11/2 for the Cup race. I was reasonably certain on the Busch race, but the odds were too bad. Bet $20 win $20. For cup, bet $20 to win $110... So.. I screwed myself out of $130.
What is the common denominator with your top 5 pick? I seem to remember guys saying the reason Ford don't win is because they have lousy drivers. At that time Kenseth and Edwards were Ford drivers.
And Bubba Wallace?? Yes he won a few races and what brand was he driving?

Winning in NASCAR is all about heavy factory support.

Toyota is heavy in Truck, Xfinity, Cup.
Ford does not support trucks at all and very little in Xfinity.

Are you seeing a pattern here.

No name drivers are winning in Toyota Trucks.

Last years unknown Toyota drivers are beating some of the best Cup drivers in Xfinity.

No one can deny that Kyle Bush is probably the best driver in NASCAR right now but without the heavy backing of Toyota he is just another top tier driver.

BTW Hamlin and Truex are tier 1 drivers

How does a Football coach outperform, Hendrick, Penske, Roush, Childress?

Simple answer, Toyota provides more of these $$$$$$$ than the other brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 AM
 
4,315 posts, read 2,529,064 times
Reputation: 7686
Amazing how Kyle Bush could hold off other drivers with fresh tires on that last restart.


He has restarts down to perfection !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 AM
 
32,492 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Reputation: 19135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

How does a Football coach outperform, Hendrick, Penske, Roush, Childress?
joe gibbs was winning in nascar when he was running chevys, and had only a two car team.


Quote:
Simple answer, Toyota provides more of these $$$$$$$ than the other brands.
once again so what? toyota is willing to step up and support racing because it improves the breed, but they are also limited to a few areas, nascar, formula one, and off road racing, where as gm and ford support a much wider range of racing programs, and a much wider range of racing engines, than toyota does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM
 
32,492 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Reputation: 19135
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Amazing how Kyle Bush could hold off other drivers with fresh tires on that last restart.


He has restarts down to perfection !
he is the modern day dale earnhardt sr isnt he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 10:18 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,883,407 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
joe gibbs was winning in nascar when he was running chevys, and had only a two car team.




once again so what? toyota is willing to step up and support racing because it improves the breed, but they are also limited to a few areas, nascar, formula one, and off road racing, where as gm and ford support a much wider range of racing programs, and a much wider range of racing engines, than toyota does.
Had Gibbs stayed with GM he would be winning at about the same rate as Hendrick does, not very often.

Toyota offered more than Gm and that's why he switched. Toyota didn't just step up they're stepping all over the other brands.

So you don't have a problem with Toyota dominating?? I guess you're OK with F1 style racing. The car that wins the pole also wins the races.

When people complain about all the empty seats at a NASCAR race. That's where the Ford and Chrysler fans used to sit. Soon to be joined by GM fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:34 AM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,105,331 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
joe gibbs was winning in nascar when he was running chevys, and had only a two car team.

once again so what? toyota is willing to step up and support racing because it improves the breed, but they are also limited to a few areas, nascar, formula one, and off road racing, where as gm and ford support a much wider range of racing programs, and a much wider range of racing engines, than toyota does.
He was winning in Chevy and Pontiacs with a 1 car team.

Toyota's engine program pretty much is JGR's engine program. They bought it. Gibbs got Mark Cronquist from Hendrick when he brought his engine program in house.. Best move he ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Had Gibbs stayed with GM he would be winning at about the same rate as Hendrick does, not very often.

Toyota offered more than Gm and that's why he switched. Toyota didn't just step up they're stepping all over the other brands.

So you don't have a problem with Toyota dominating?? I guess you're OK with F1 style racing. The car that wins the pole also wins the races.

When people complain about all the empty seats at a NASCAR race. That's where the Ford and Chrysler fans used to sit. Soon to be joined by GM fans.
Had Gibbs stayed with GM, we'd be talking about Chevy being dominant. Toyota didn't win squat until Gibbs joined them.

Toyota has about 5 wins that are NOT from Gibbs in cup.

Gibbs would have been the #2 or #3 Chevy team. Behind Hendrick and perhaps Stewart-Hass.

The last time RFR was winning races was when they had Edwards and Kenseth.. They've been gone and RFR hasn't won anything since. It's not a problem with Fords, it's a problem with RFR and their driver lineup. Why is it a problem with RFR? Because Edwards and Kenseth went to Gibbs and are winning.. So doesn't that mean it's Toyota? Not really.. Because you have Keselowski and Logano winning fairly consistently in Fords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top