U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 03:59 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You have a short memory, Kenseth left Roush when he was no longer winning blaming it on Favoritism to Edwards. Carl hung on one more year or two and when he saw how Kenseth was winning with Gibbs he went to Gibbs.

Has nothing to do with drivers at RFR it has everything to do with Jack Roush. Still thinks you can win with 1990 setups.

Keselowski and Logano are not winning on speed, they are winning on pit strategy and a little luck.

It's all about TRD (Toyota factory racing ) building more HP than the other guys.

First they dominated trucks, then Exfinity and now Cup. They are just outspending everybody else and they have top tier drivers in every division.

When one brand dominates the fans stay home.
Kenseth at RFR.. That would be 2007 through 2012.. Prior to 2007 it was Roush Racing, but, 2007 is far enough back.

2007 - 2 wins
2008 - 0 wins
2009 - 2 wins
2010 - 0 wins
2011 - 3 wins
2012 - 3 wins

2011 and 2012 were the 3rd most successful years he had at Roush overall. He won 5 races in 2002 and 4 in 2006

As for the winless years.. Remember.. He didn't win in '14 with Gibbs. Those years happen.

Now, I agree, he saw the writing on the wall that RFR was going downhill and that's why he jumped ship. But, it wasn't due to Fords.. In his last year at RFR.. Fords won 6 races, he had 3 of them, Biffle had 2 and then Ambrose won at Watkins Glen. Of course, RFR and Petty were the only Ford teams full time then, I think. Well, Germaine, GO FAS, Front Row.. They hardly count.

Of course.. I completely forgot that Petty is still with Ford. They're basically an afterthought. I like Almirola, I think he's a good, solid driver.. But, same can't be said for Brian Scott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 04:49 PM

Huh.. Here's something interesting.. Target is ending Indy Car Sponsorship.. So, they're leaving Ganassi..

However.. They will continue to sponsor Larson in 2017..

Here's the interesting quote..

Quote:
It was a really difficult decision that we made -- we've been with Chip Ganassi Racing for 27 years and we are ridiculously proud of the success," Nygaard said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "But the Target brand is about being fresh and new, so we felt like this was the time to make the difficult decision and expand our sports marketing platform.
Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi

How do you leave Indycar but 'expand' the sports marketing platform?

Perhaps by becoming the title sponsor of a series that's looking for a new sponsor for next year?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM

32,490 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
The issue with attendance is hotel costs, which are beyond ridiculous at this point. I forget which track it was, but one hotel was charging $699 per night.
i can attest to that. a number of years ago i was heading to shenandoah national park, and i started finding increased hotel room prices starting about 95 miles from bristol, tn. i also found that at the time hotels with in a 95 mile circle were all full.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,318,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Huh.. Here's something interesting.. Target is ending Indy Car Sponsorship.. So, they're leaving Ganassi..

However.. They will continue to sponsor Larson in 2017..

Here's the interesting quote..

Target leaving IndyCar after 27 seasons with Chip Ganassi

How do you leave Indycar but 'expand' the sports marketing platform?

Perhaps by becoming the title sponsor of a series that's looking for a new sponsor for next year?
NASCAR Target Cup Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i can attest to that. a number of years ago i was heading to shenandoah national park, and i started finding increased hotel room prices starting about 95 miles from bristol, tn. i also found that at the time hotels with in a 95 mile circle were all full.
Supply and demand, many do this. Hell, even the hotels near where I live jack up the rates when the furniture market comes to town.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
NASCAR Target Cup Series?
does sound........interesting doesnt it?

Quote:
Supply and demand, many do this. Hell, even the hotels near where I live jack up the rates when the furniture market comes to town.
yep, i used to work in the hotel industry for 25 years.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
does sound........interesting doesnt it?
Sounds like crap.. But.. Hell.. When I first started watching in '93/'94-ish.. The "Winston Cup" name didn't even register to me that it was referring to Winston cigarettes.

I'd bet the younger folks who are getting into watching racing may not think of Sprint Cup and immediately think of Sprint Communications. Though, they are more involved with TV Spots, because they can be, so.. Might be a little more recognition there.

Edit - I'm fine with Target sponsoring it.. Just "Target Cup" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,927,641 times
Quote:
Sounds like crap.. But.. Hell.. When I first started watching in '93/'94-ish.. The "Winston Cup" name didn't even register to me that it was referring to Winston cigarettes.

I'd bet the younger folks who are getting into watching racing may not think of Sprint Cup and immediately think of Sprint Communications. Though, they are more involved with TV Spots, because they can be, so.. Might be a little more recognition there.

Edit - I'm fine with Target sponsoring it.. Just "Target Cup" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
Hmmmm wonder if co-ed restrooms at all the tracks?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
sprint cup, and other sponsors didnt exactly roll off the tongue at first either. in fact winston cup didnt really roll of the tongue when they first dropped the "grand national" name from the series title and put in on the jr series.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
sprint cup, and other sponsors didnt exactly roll off the tongue at first either. in fact winston cup didnt really roll of the tongue when they first dropped the "grand national" name from the series title and put in on the jr series.
Nextel Cup didn't.. But, if they had kept the Nextel brand alive, I always thought they should have kept calling it the Nextel Cup and the chase would have aptly been called the "Sprint to the Nextel Cup"

Honestly.. There's probably few of us alive that remember it being the Grand National series.. I will say that I had a VERY longtime subscription to Grand National Scene magazine (Later Winston Cup Scene, then NASCAR Winston Cup Scene and finally NASCAR Scene).. It was an adjustment when they changed it to Winston Cup Scene.. Which didn't happen until the late 90's, I think.

Wow.. It was only 6 years ago that stopped being published.. I think that's really when my interest in Cup racing started to wane as well.. That was a true loss when it ceased publication.

That and the loss of Inside Winston Cup on Speed with the original panel.. Bestwick, Schrader, Waltrip and Benson with Herman filling in from time to time.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:11 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I say the same about the NFL yet they can still attract working "Joe's " who will dish out half their weekly paycheck to attend an NFL game on Sunday.

Not many empty seats at NFL games.
Really can't compare NFL to NASCAR.
  • The NFL only has 16 regular season games.
  • There are more NFL fans than NASCAR fans
  • Fans often turn out even for a losing season (or a poor product on the field)
  • Stadiums have a smaller seating capacity. (Indy could hold 235-400k)
  • Most of NASCAR races are during nicer weather...people have a lot of recreational choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or