U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 02:53 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,871,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I haven't checked back at previous comments, but what was the thoughts on Stewart-Haas switching over to Ford next year?
They will run just the same as they have been all along. The best teams can be competitive no matter what brand they are running.

It's only the novice fans that believe one brand is superior to the others. After all NASCAR is not F1, well not yet anyway.
IMO the team/brand that spends the most money on R&D each year usually has an advantage even if it is only temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
I haven't been able to follow it today.. Did he luck into it, or was he decently competitive? Or both? obviously, you win a shortened race, there's an element of luck.. But.. Was he running 34th and didn't pit and won, or was he top 10 or top 15 all day and stayed out and won?

Old 08-03-2016, 03:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,720,564 times
Gordon to drive in the next two races. I think Jr's issues are more serious than what they're letting on.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:05 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Gordon to drive in the next two races. I think Jr's issues are more serious than what they're letting on.
I hope I am wrong but I can see Jr saying real soon. "I'm done".

Jr as a Cup team owner would be a better way to finish out his NASCAR career.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:21 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,579,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I hope I am wrong but I can see Jr saying real soon. "I'm done".

Jr as a Cup team owner would be a better way to finish out his NASCAR career.
If any driver needs to have a grand exit, it's Jr. I say so due to his large fan following, not his skills as a driver. I hope he can be well enough to safely come back for one more year to bow out.

With Jr, Gordon and Smoke out of NASCAR, it will quite literally be the end of an era.

Not sure how NASCAR can really ever recover from this. Of course many can say that NASCAR survived after other greats left...Pearson, Petty, Dale Sr., ... But Jr, Gordon, Stewart are pretty much household names in America today. I really can't think of another driver currently in NASCAR that are. Busch, Harvick are well known names among fans, but outside of that, I'm not sure.

Today, the casual viewer of NASCAR has so many other choices than to watch a 3-4 hour race, unlike the 1980's or early 2000's even. Even the die hard fans are moving on. We see that at the tracks. A majority of those die hard fans are Jr fans. Who will Jr fans follow next?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I haven't been able to follow it today.. Did he luck into it, or was he decently competitive? Or both? obviously, you win a shortened race, there's an element of luck.. But.. Was he running 34th and didn't pit and won, or was he top 10 or top 15 all day and stayed out and won?
Buscher (sp) is a likable and talented driver and probably should be in better equipment.
It was another feel good win for a low budget team and yes a win is a win but a win should not be an automatic berth into the playoffs.
If NASCAR is set on having a playoff then it should be for the top 16 in points period. A win should only count in the playoffs to move you on.
The final four should be the top four from the previous race.
No need for what if's or what about this.

BTW many restrictor plate races are won by driver who just luck out with help from other drivers.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,524,483 times
Quote:
Buscher (sp) is a likable and talented driver and probably should be in better equipment.
It was another feel good win for a low budget team and yes a win is a win but a win should not be an automatic berth into the playoffs.
If NASCAR is set on having a playoff then it should be for the top 16 in points period. A win should only count in the playoffs to move you on.

BTW many restrictor plate races are won by driver who just luck out with help from other drivers.
But when it was based solely on points fans were upset that drivers were "points racing" and not going to risk going for a win.

Sometimes NASCAR is caught in a "catch 22" situation with fans and end up criticized if they don't and criticized if the do .

Old 08-04-2016, 01:41 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:

He's not in.. That win only brought him up to within 6 points of 30th place.

If he manages to make it into the top 30, he deserves it. The way that team has run, however, I don't think he will make it. He'll make a quick exit from the chase, I'm sure, but.. It might bring some sponsor attention.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:11 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
If any driver needs to have a grand exit, it's Jr. I say so due to his large fan following, not his skills as a driver. I hope he can be well enough to safely come back for one more year to bow out.

With Jr, Gordon and Smoke out of NASCAR, it will quite literally be the end of an era.

Not sure how NASCAR can really ever recover from this. Of course many can say that NASCAR survived after other greats left...Pearson, Petty, Dale Sr., ... But Jr, Gordon, Stewart are pretty much household names in America today. I really can't think of another driver currently in NASCAR that are. Busch, Harvick are well known names among fans, but outside of that, I'm not sure.

Today, the casual viewer of NASCAR has so many other choices than to watch a 3-4 hour race, unlike the 1980's or early 2000's even. Even the die hard fans are moving on. We see that at the tracks. A majority of those die hard fans are Jr fans. Who will Jr fans follow next?
i used to think the same way you did many years ago. back in the late 70s petty, pearson, yarborough, and others were getting old, and were tarting to leave the sport. but we had some great up and comers, earnhardt sr, waltrip, bill elliot, rusty wallace, etc. and they carried the sport for years. and when they left, we got gordon, johnson, earnhardt jr, etc. now with stewart and gordon leaving, and perhaps earnhardt jr, who do we have? the busch brothers, johnson, edwards, brad k, logano, among others.

and when they leave who will take up the banner? most likely chase elliot, kyle larson, chris buesher(sp), and others.

this sport is always finding new stars to take up where the old ones left off. its the same with any sport. for instance we remember what a great player michael jordon was when he was playing, but do we remember players like oscar robinson? how about pete maravich? wilt chamberlain? abdul karem jabbar? carl malone?

or we remember barry bonds, alex rodrigues, and others, but how about micky mantel? willy mays? babe ruth? joe dimaggio? yogi berra?

Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,926,070 times
I watched the Dale Earnhardt Jr. press conference on TV today.

Dale did not look very comfortable.

He did state he is not contemplating retirement and intends to race in the future.

This not the entire interview but it is a lot of it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_-quhlZkp8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or