U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,915,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Midgets are still considered "Sprint Car" racing, aren't they? Admittedly, I don't follow it too much, but I always considered midgets to be sprint cars, just a smaller class.

I understand what you're saying.. But, when it happens as much as it does.. "There isn't much that can be done" just does not fly.

Of course.. These folks are perfectly willing to accept the risk.. So, who am I to say "Something needs to be done"? They should be the ones leading the charge for any changes.
No, from years back the pecking order in open wheel was.

Indy roadsters

Champ cars which USAC still runs V-8 power

Sprint cars Open and winged with V-8, shorter than Champ cars.

Midgets with 4 or 6 cyl, in the early days outboard engines 2 cycle

3/4 midgets now called micro sprints. motorcycle engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,726,669 times
It's also worth noting that people who don't follow USAC generally view all of those classes as just sprint cars. When you also count World of Outlaws and the many regional series, it's easy to see how there are more deaths than in other racing series. There are probably well over 1000 races combined each year.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:47 AM

9,471 posts, read 7,145,585 times
Nice story I saw today that Clauson saved 5 lives by being an organ donor.. His family posted a quite touching message on FB..

Quote:
We would all like to thank you for all of your prayers and concerns over the last few days. It provided strength and comfort during a very difficult time for us.
Nothing prepares you for these moments. We have all watched from afar as other families have had to face their own tragedies or been there to support our family and friends as they have spent their own time in the hospital. However, nothing makes you ready to say goodbye. You take each moment as it comes and we could not have made it to this point with out all of you.
One of the gifts that Bryan gave us while we sat next to him praying for some good news, was the moment we found out that he was an organ donor. It shouldn’t have surprised us. All of us have felt Bryan’s generosity throughout his life. The gift of life is the most amazing gesture and Bryan will live on not only through us and all the people he touched along the way, but from the lucky individuals that will benefit from Bryan making a decision to be a donor.
It was not lost on our family as we sat huddled around him, holding his hands, comforting him and each other, saying our last goodbye that five families were also sitting in a hospital room somewhere, comforting their loved one and each other while praying for a miracle that Bryan ultimately delivered for them. We are so proud of our Bryan for making this decision.
The Nebraska Organ Recovery team made the entire process very comforting. Their compassion, love, and respect when treating Bryan did not go unnoticed. We want to acknowledge every member of the Nebraska Organ Recovery team. Thank you for loving our Bryan.
If you are a donor, thank you. If you are not, please consider for a moment becoming one. We have seen first hand how amazing it feels on both sides of the coin. It is the greatest gift that one person can give another. We promise.
Again, thank you for all of your thoughts, prayers and friendship. We look forward to seeing you at the races.
Lauren, Tim, Di, Taylor

Old 08-12-2016, 08:47 AM

So FRR is saying that Jones is expected to only be there for 2017 then move over to Gibbs..

so.. Question is.. Which driver is out at Gibbs after next year?

Hamlin's contract is supposedly up after this season.. So, if they were planning on getting rid of him.. Why put Jones in the FRR car for next year?

Edwards contract is up after 2017.. It seems unlikely they would get rid of him. He doesn't particularly seem to be itching to go and where would he go that's any better?

Busch is signed through at least 2019, so he's staying.

Kenseth is supposedly signed through 2017 with options.. Don't know if they're driver or team options. This, again, seems most likely. I doubt Kenseth would want to leave.. Doesn't seem like he's ready to retire.. But, if Gibbs needed to open a spot.. Do you get rid of the driver who will be 45 after the 2017 season or the one who will be 37?

Gibbs has massive loyalty as well.. With Hamlin spending his entire career with Gibbs.. I'd be surprised if it were him.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 AM

890 posts, read 1,537,172 times
Maybe Gibbs will have a 4th car. Not sure how that works with the charters. Or, maybe Kenseth is going to retire but hasn't announced it yet.

Thanks for sharing the Clauson family facebook post. I don't do facebook

Old 08-12-2016, 11:48 AM

32,542 posts, read 26,457,600 times
i am betting that kenseth is going to retire when his contract is up. gibbs might also make him a team manager as well.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,339,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Maybe Gibbs will have a 4th car. Not sure how that works with the charters. Or, maybe Kenseth is going to retire but hasn't announced it yet.

Thanks for sharing the Clauson family facebook post. I don't do facebook
I may be missing something but Gibbs already has 4 cars; 18, 19, 20, 11

Old 08-12-2016, 12:34 PM

890 posts, read 1,537,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I may be missing something but Gibbs already has 4 cars; 18, 19, 20, 11
You're right. I didn't think that one all the way through.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am betting that kenseth is going to retire when his contract is up. gibbs might also make him a team manager as well.
Matt reminds me of a Mark Martin type. I could see him racing into his 50's.

Also.. We haven't discussed this...

5 Hour Energy is the sponsor for Jones.. And they are NOT sponsoring 2 cars. So.. They're bailing on Clint Bowyer.

Bass Pro is bailing out on the 14 to go to the 78 full time, I think..

Who's gonna sponsor the 14 next year?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:14 AM

5,806 posts, read 6,597,888 times
I ran across an interesting article about Jeff Gordon filling in on the 88. The pros were having Jeff back brings in ratings and fills seats. The sponsors are happy.

The cons are that HMS should be using the car to start looking for the next superstar to replace Jr and Jimmy in the next few years. Kasey is not doing that great either. The only future star they have now is Elliot.

Right now HMS future looks rather bleak. (I'm sure that will make PDD )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or