U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM

32,497 posts, read 26,381,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I figured this would be the case. Wouldn't it be interesting if the car made the chase and Jeff were to win it (again).
Wonder how that'd work out?

Best wishes to Dale, I'm still of the opinion he's done as a driver and will concentrate on running things and taking care of himself and family.
You've got to think that his dads death plays into this at some level...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Wont happen. Gordon wouldnt be able to make the top 30 in time, and Im not 100% sure they(Hendrick) even have the rest of the year figured out as to who is going to drive it. I see Gordo and Bowman splitting the rest of the year, or possibly HMS getting some other driver to fill in a good prtion of the remaining races.
not to mention that even if gordon or bowman were to win a race and get into the top thirty in points, they would be precluded from the chase because they did not intend to run the whole season, which is one of the parameters of making the chase. it worled for kyle busch because he intended to run the whole season, but couldnt due to injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,928,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
That was quick, but Id bet HMS already had that plan in place........
Yeah I have a feeling the planners at HMS saw this coming at them.

I like Dale Earnhardt Jr. a lot but have a bad feeling about next year.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:47 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Slim pickins on the free agents for next year.. I can see them bringing a driver on one year as a bridge, perhaps..

Your top tier free agents are Ryan Newman, Jamie McMurray and Paul Menard and perhaps Almirola

Newman might be OK as a one year fill-in.. I don't see McMurray or Menard at HMS. Almirola would be interesting. I really believe in him and have since when he was driving for Gibbs in Busch.. I think he just needs a quality ride to be a consistent winner.

After 2017.. Some decent names become available.. Edwards, Hamlin, Larson.. But.. Kahne's seat opens up after 2017, too.. I doubt they resign him.

John Hunter Nemechek should probably get some looks, but.. He's not ready for Cup.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:30 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Slim pickins on the free agents for next year.. I can see them bringing a driver on one year as a bridge, perhaps..

Your top tier free agents are Ryan Newman, Jamie McMurray and Paul Menard and perhaps Almirola

Newman might be OK as a one year fill-in.. I don't see McMurray or Menard at HMS. Almirola would be interesting. I really believe in him and have since when he was driving for Gibbs in Busch.. I think he just needs a quality ride to be a consistent winner.

After 2017.. Some decent names become available.. Edwards, Hamlin, Larson.. But.. Kahne's seat opens up after 2017, too.. I doubt they resign him.

John Hunter Nemechek should probably get some looks, but.. He's not ready for Cup.
I would not classify those three as top tier. All three have had wins on upper tier teams but none were ever consistent winners. IMO all three have aged out.

What's wrong with Bowman he is doing just fine as a replacement?

Old 09-03-2016, 07:48 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,188,367 times
Shame about Jr. I think he'll come back, if he gets medical clearance. I can see him hanging it up and doing something else but I get the feeling he won't. Time will tell.

It's a good time to bail, nascar is not getting better or healthier. The empty seats have been bad.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:48 AM

1,620 posts, read 1,733,956 times
Just saw this very cool on board lap with Cale Yarborough on NBCSN. Turn up the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XxDrbQjyDw

Old 09-03-2016, 01:12 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,928,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I would like to see what happens if Ryan Newman got a year in the HMS equipment. He never really reached his potential in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:36 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,722,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Just saw this very cool on board lap with Cale Yarborough on NBCSN. Turn up the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XxDrbQjyDw
Yeah that was awesome to see. I absolutely love throwback weekend!

Old 09-03-2016, 11:42 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I would not classify those three as top tier. All three have had wins on upper tier teams but none were ever consistent winners. IMO all three have aged out.

What's wrong with Bowman he is doing just fine as a replacement?

He's.. Not doing great.. 26th and 30th. But.. I don't disagree that he's fine as a FILL-IN driver. If we're talking about REPLACING Earnhardt, which is what I am getting at.. You don't make him the permanent driver of the 88. Not at this point in his career. That car with those sponsors.. You've got to get a top name for it.

Yes... Those are the top-tier of drivers AVAILABLE. If you don't think so.. let me list the rest of the drivers available for 2017..

Jeb Burton
David Gilliland
Timmy Hill
Sam Hornisch, Jr
Travis Kvapil
Brett Moffitt
Brian Vickers
JJ Yeley

I'm working under the theory that Earnhardt will elect or be forced to retire. That is not a crazy scenario. If that happens, what does HMS do? I think maybe they bring on Newman as a stopgap and PERHAPS keep him around a few more years afterwards by replacing Kahne, assuming he does well.

Almirola would be fascinating.. Again, I think highly of him.. And it'd be the second time in his career that he's taken over the car that Junior has left. Remember he drove the 8 car for a handful of races before they shut it down.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:27 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
My guess is they'll bring someone up from the "minors". There are a few standouts that just might do very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or