Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 06:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I may be missing something but it has always been the teams and/or drivers secure their own sponsorship. Is it being implied that NASCAR was encourage or force sponsors to support black owned race teams?
Affirmative action in NASCAR NOW! I think I'm going to sue because they won't make the cars ADA compliant or make any accommodations to allow a handicapped driver to be on a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
I may be missing something but it has always been the teams and/or drivers secure their own sponsorship. Is it being implied that NASCAR was encourage or force sponsors to support black owned race teams?
Sounds like the suit is saying that NASCAR steered sponsors away from his team.

Smells like BS.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:10 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Quote:
Yes, they are the governing body and with their diversity program were supposed to do just that. Face it, nascar is lily white and they've done very little to actively change that. The lawsuit is a way forcing nascar's hand.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
yet it is ok that nearly the entire NBA is black ?

Old 09-21-2016, 09:37 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sounds like the suit is saying that NASCAR steered sponsors away from his team.

Smells like BS.
That's kind of the way I interpreted it. I can't see the sanctioning body butting in with team sponsors except in the event of conflict in interest, which Sprint had in writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yes, they are the governing body and with their diversity program were supposed to do just that. Face it, nascar is lily white and they've done very little to actively change that. The lawsuit is a way forcing nascar's hand.
So? What's wrong with a sport being "lily white?" Could it really be just a simple fact that not that many black people are interested in racing? Does the possible lack of interest by black people make the sport illegitimate?
I didn't see black swimmers on the US Olympic team? Where's that lawsuit?
How many stick & ball teams are owned by minorities? What about other racing series?
I'm aware NASCAR is a governing body but as far as I know it is up to the individual teams and/or drivers to secure sponsorship. Naming all of the race teams in the suit is asinine.
Kyle Larson said in an interview his loyalty to Ganassi Racing is deep because he (Ganassi) took a chance on Larson whereas other teams Larson spoke with wanted up front money or for him to bring a sponsor. That doesn't sound much like a series that plays favorites.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
The Drive for Diversity program has not gone overly well as far as seeding the national series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_for_Diversity

Look at the list of drivers there. Marc Davis was 'the next big thing', until they put him in a truck.. Only 1 has made it to Sprint Cup, and only 3 have been successful.. Those being Larson, Suarez and Wallace.

You could add one more in there.. Almirola wasn't actually a part of the D4D program, but a program between Gibbs and Reggie White when he owned a team that was basically the same as D4D

Old 09-21-2016, 11:50 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Quote:
Is that so terrible?

If you can say NASCAR is lily white, may I say basketball is pitch black?

Seriously, I have no bad feelings that mostly blacks are playing basketball on TV and I imagine most blacks do not ever even glance at NASCAR races.

Let people enjoy the sports they are drawn to.

This is just PC Hysteria that sucks.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Race OF DRIVERS/OWNERS doesn't bother me as long as the participants don't " take a knee" during the national anthem.

If that starts happening, I'm done with NASCAR !

Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
yes nascar is the sanctioning body, but THEY DO NOT OWN ANY TEAMS, they just govern them. what is nascar supposed to do, require the teams to hire a black driver? suppose none that are qualified apply? what then, put an unqualiied driver on the track and hope they dont kill themselves or someone else?

Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes nascar is the sanctioning body, but THEY DO NOT OWN ANY TEAMS, they just govern them. what is nascar supposed to do, require the teams to hire a black driver? suppose none that are qualified apply? what then, put an unqualiied driver on the track and hope they dont kill themselves or someone else?
That's how it works in other occupations, NASCAR has just been slow to pick up on the policy requirements to do business in TODAYS climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing