Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That's how it works in other occupations, NASCAR has just been slow to pick up on the policy requirements to do business in TODAYS climate.
once again you ignore the fact that nascar does not own any teams, thus they cannot tell the team who to and who not to hire and fire. that is up to the teams themselves. again i will remind you that nascar is a sanctioning body only, not a race team themselves. just like the nfl, nba, mlb and others. they are not team owners, they are the rules committee only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
That's how it works in other occupations, NASCAR has just been slow to pick up on the policy requirements to do business in TODAYS climate.
I didn't know there was a requirement for a baseball, basketball, football, or hockey team to have a certain number of black players...

Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That's kind of the way I interpreted it. I can't see the sanctioning body butting in with team sponsors except in the event of conflict in interest, which Sprint had in writing.

So? What's wrong with a sport being "lily white?" Could it really be just a simple fact that not that many black people are interested in racing? Does the possible lack of interest by black people make the sport illegitimate?
I didn't see black swimmers on the US Olympic team? Where's that lawsuit?
How many stick & ball teams are owned by minorities? What about other racing series?
I'm aware NASCAR is a governing body but as far as I know it is up to the individual teams and/or drivers to secure sponsorship. Naming all of the race teams in the suit is asinine.
Kyle Larson said in an interview his loyalty to Ganassi Racing is deep because he (Ganassi) took a chance on Larson whereas other teams Larson spoke with wanted up front money or for him to bring a sponsor. That doesn't sound much like a series that plays favorites.
What's wrong, ask nascar. They are the ones that saw an issue and acted. The suits claims they acted in bad faith. A court will decide. As to the 'teams', they don't have any power. Nascar rules the roost. The teams are independent only as far it's convenient to the governing body. When push comes to shove nascar owns the sport.

Analogy to other sports is superfluous. We all know they are vast differences in all the sports being brought up as examples and almost zero comparison to nascar - and motorsports in general.

Of course people of color enjoy racing but is nascar really welcoming? I mean really? Those rebel flags say no.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
What's wrong, ask nascar. They are the ones that saw an issue and acted. The suits claims they acted in bad faith. A court will decide. As to the 'teams', they don't have any power. Nascar rules the roost. The teams are independent only as far it's convenient to the governing body. When push comes to shove nascar owns the sport.

Analogy to other sports is superfluous. We all know they are vast differences in all the sports being brought up as examples and almost zero comparison to nascar - and motorsports in general.

Of course people of color enjoy racing but is nascar really welcoming? I mean really? Those rebel flags say no.

" of course people of color enjoy racing "..

I doubt the conversations on Monday morning amongst Blacks is Sunday's NASCAR race.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you ignore the fact that nascar does not own any teams, thus they cannot tell the team who to and who not to hire and fire. that is up to the teams themselves. again i will remind you that nascar is a sanctioning body only, not a race team themselves. just like the nfl, nba, mlb and others. they are not team owners, they are the rules committee only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I didn't know there was a requirement for a baseball, basketball, football, or hockey team to have a certain number of black players...
The point I was trying to show/make was that in today's world it doesn't matter that the facts you state are true. All that matters is someones perception of unfairness and who has the deepest pockets to collect from.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So, if someone in town rides down the road with the confederate flag in the back of their truck, then everyone in that town is unwelcoming to blacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

I doubt the conversations on Monday morning amongst Blacks is Sunday's NASCAR race.
Depends who you talk to. I met a really nice black family at Charlotte a few years back. I think it was '01.. We sat there talking for quite some time because that was the rain delay year. He had been to more tracks than I had. Talked for quite a while about when he went to Indy for the 500 and how it was an experience, but.. Probably not something he'd do again.

Honestly, I think the average NASCAR fan goes out of their way to make black people feel welcome at the track because.. You are right.. It's an oddity to see one. I'd say out of 70k people, there MIGHT be 200 at a race.

NASCAR was very non-inclusive in the past.. Two words.. Wendell Scott..But, in today's world, and even back in the day by many competitors.. Wendell Scott was highly respected.

It is strange there are few black drivers, even in the local series. Part of the reason might be, and sad to say, racing is very family oriented. A kid starts racing, the parents, the whole family is involved. Plus, it's expensive. Whereas something like Hockey.. The areas that is played is the limiting factor. I don't have the demos, but I'm pretty sure Minnesota isn't 40% black. And the areas that are.. say Atlanta.. Ice Hockey isn't exactly a "Play in your backyard" sport. I'll also mention that Joel Ward got quite a bit of racism directed his way a few years back. That situation was far worse than anything NASCAR has seen in the past 40 years.

Quote:
The point I was trying to show/make was that in today's world it doesn't matter that the facts you state are true. All that matters is someones perception of unfairness and who has the deepest pockets to collect from.
Depends. Courts will decide, and.. This case is DOA, especially after Steve Harvey's statement that the guy was basically a *********. Look that video up on YouTube. Harvey tears the guy up.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

More's the pity, however I think you'd be surprised (in the south).

I mean, do I believe this suit has merit? No, I doubt nascar did what's claimed however you never know. If they have evidence of wrong doing then that's a bad deal for nascar all around.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
More's the pity, however I think you'd be surprised (in the south).

I mean, do I believe this suit has merit? No, I doubt nascar did what's claimed however you never know. If they have evidence of wrong doing then that's a bad deal for nascar all around.
They don't need evidence, they are doing enough damage just by inference which (it would seem) is the idea.
Jesse Jackson pulls this stunt, pay up or we'll paint your company with a racist brush, truth or not it'll hurt.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
They don't need evidence, they are doing enough damage just by inference which (it would seem) is the idea.
Jesse Jackson pulls this stunt, pay up or we'll paint your company with a racist brush, truth or not it'll hurt.
But.. The people who would perceive the unfairness.. Aren't watching or going to NASCAR races.

The people who ARE going and I think many who are not.. see right through this.

Which, actually, will probably be something that hurts NASCAR's countersuit.. Of course, the main thing that will hurt their countersuit is that the person suing them likely has nothing.. Blood from a turnip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEQrLdv3C_I

BTW.. that's the Steve Harvey response. Worth a watch.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
He tried that once and it didn't work. NASCAR settled a discrimination lawsuit filed by a black inspector. Jackson tried to get NASCAR to hire an all black race team, obviously that didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing