U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 08:17 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
If they hd a big enough lead to do that, then it was earned in the first 20-30 something races of the season. They likely had little to no bad luck, the team built reliable cars and the driver kept out of trouble. It's really not much different than what the Roush cars were able to do at Talladega on Sunday. In fact, under the old system, a 30 something finish might not have killed the point leaders chances, but there is a good possibility they would have lost substantial points to those chasing them. Under the current system don't worry, we'll reset it so everyone is equal anyway. Oh, and Keselowski and Truex, sorry about your luck.

I thought "doing what they needed to do" is what helped institute the chase in the first place.

The stick and ball sport analogy makes no sense. The chase drivers are out there with up to 36 other "eliminated" teams. That's the very mentality that is killing the sport. Part of the beauty of it was there were no playoffs, every team competed until the end. Your champion was usually the driver and team who had the best overall season. There were drivers who had 7-8 wins but 10 finishes below 30th. Is that Championship worthy? I think not.

Auto racing encompasses a lot of luck by its own nature. There are too many moving parts, close tolerances and variables to put the championsip in one race, or a few rounds of 3 races where 1 bad race kills your chances. A champion based on the full 36-race schedule allows for those "bad" races to even out.

Well, no, not really. Not when points are constantly reset. Not when drivers can say "I have a win, no need to race hard"
If NASCAR is truly a points based system than all points earned during a playoff should be counted.

I would like to see Keselosky and Truex split the next four races between them to show how ridiculous the requirements for champ is determined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 08:50 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,855,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If NASCAR is truly a points based system than all points earned during a playoff should be counted.

I would like to see Keselosky and Truex split the next four races between them to show how ridiculous the requirements for champ is determined.
Right.

It would be one thing if this "screwing around with the points system and how champions are determined" crap were actually bringing in a bunch more fans to the sport, but it isn't. All it seems to be doing is driving away the long time fans who were their bread and butter.

I'm not the biggest Jeff Gordon fan, but if the old system were still in place he'd have finished his career with 7 championships. That takes away from the sport in my opinion, when you have a marquee racer getting robbed of his place in the history of NACSAR.

I respect Jimmie Johnson, but that stretch of 5 straight championships would have been reduced to 2 during that 5 year run under the old system.

I wish they'd go back to how it was for over 25 years and leave it alone.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:27 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,564,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I still favor the old points system however, given the schedule of 36 races is too long IMO the chase format works well.

The "cheating" is why NASCAR is what it is today. The sanctioning body has become more wise to the rule bending with each passing year making it harder and harder for teams to "cheat."
I would think it a good idea to go back through the rule book line by line and eliminate rules that don't serve a real purpose.
Exactly, they're "ruling" it to death. No fighting, no bad words,no bad gestures,no talking bad about anything or anyone ever etc. etc. etc.
The way it's going they might as well just keep a NASCAR stable of 35 cars and toss the car numbers in a hat then let drivers draw their car after high tea and crumpets are served.
This has gone from a fun, rough and tumble sport to a ballet dance...

Old 10-28-2016, 09:43 AM

890 posts, read 1,534,390 times
My suggestion for the points goes something like this:

1 - 100 pts
2 - 80 pts
3 - 65
4 - 55
5 - 50
6 - 47
7 - 44
8 - 41
9 - 38
10 - 36

Drop 1 point for each position through the rest of the field.

1 bonus point for leading a lap
1 bonus point for leading the most laps

The idea here is to emphasize winning, with small built in bonuses for top 5 and top 10s.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:59 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,929,221 times
Default DirecTV and NBCSN

Problem earlier today trying to receive NBCSN (High Definition) on my DirecTV system.

I found that NBCSN (Standard Definition) was working while the HD choice was not.

It is fixed now, but am posting this since it has happened two days in a row and might effect the racing weekend.

If you have DirecTV and your system does not give you the choice between HD and SD follow the below procedure to have both types of channels available to you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Press MENU on the remote

2. Select “Settings & Help”

3. Select “Settings”

4. Select “Display”

5. Select “Preferences”

6. Where it says, "Hide SD Duplicates", press select there and go to "show all channels"
You will now see 2 Fox NBCSN channels, one in SD (works) and the other in HD (not working)

Old 11-05-2016, 08:24 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Problem earlier today trying to receive NBCSN (High Definition) on my DirecTV system.

I found that NBCSN (Standard Definition) was working while the HD choice was not.

It is fixed now, but am posting this since it has happened two days in a row and might effect the racing weekend.

If you have DirecTV and your system does not give you the choice between HD and SD follow the below procedure to have both types of channels available to you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Press MENU on the remote

2. Select “Settings & Help”

3. Select “Settings”

4. Select “Display”

5. Select “Preferences”

6. Where it says, "Hide SD Duplicates", press select there and go to "show all channels"
You will now see 2 Fox NBCSN channels, one in SD (works) and the other in HD (not working)
I had the same problem and fixed it as you mentioned.

I also had a problem when I recorded yesterday's qualifying. Round 1 and round 2 recorded just fine but for some reason round 3 did not record and the program went right to interviews with the qualifiers.
WTF

Old 11-05-2016, 01:28 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,929,221 times
Quote:
I had the same problem and fixed it as you mentioned.

I also had a problem when I recorded yesterday's qualifying. Round 1 and round 2 recorded just fine but for some reason round 3 did not record and the program went right to interviews with the qualifiers.
WTF
Same thing happened to me. I did not watch it till about 1AM.But at first thought I was crazy. After reviewing it about 3x realized it was NBS Sports mistake.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:01 PM

32,501 posts, read 26,389,888 times
well, edwards punches his ticket for the championship race, thanks to a rain shortened race. what lovely rain.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well, edwards punches his ticket for the championship race, thanks to a rain shortened race. what lovely rain.
He had one of the fastest cars so it was a well earned win.

This was not the same as a Chris Buscher win.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 AM

32,501 posts, read 26,389,888 times
Quote:
He had one of the fastest cars so it was a well earned win.

This was not the same as a Chris Buscher win.
i agree, but remember that anything can happen with what, 45 laps remaining? get a bit sideways late in the race with old tires, and bounce the rear quarter panel off the wall in a tight race for the lead, and end up in second place, or worse. blow a right front tire with three to go, and even if you dont hit the wall, you still end up two laps down because it blew going into turn one.

this way even though carl was running up front, and pulling away a bit, he doesnt have to worry about these things, and he moves on. only two more spots to fill. will they be gibbs cars as well? or can harvick, logano, or kurt busch punch their ticket in phoenix?

harvick and kurt busch pretty much have to win to get in, the rest are so close in points that they can race their way in on points, but they are going to be very tight on points and eveyr position will count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or