U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2016, 10:42 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Reputation: 11886

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there was a time when rousch was very creative with the rules, while not breaking them. back when he ran pro stock in the early 70s with wayne gapp, they ran a four door maverick due ot the longer wheelbase, and they were successful enough to force the NHRA to change the rules to require two door cars.
The Tijuana Taxi was not comparable to NASCAR but you are correct that he was creative in his younger years.
He was also responsible for making the Ford engines reliable while Robert Yates was responsible for making them powerful. A reluctant partnership was formed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 PM
 
32,436 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The Tijuana Taxi was not comparable to NASCAR but you are correct that he was creative in his younger years.
He was also responsible for making the Ford engines reliable while Robert Yates was responsible for making them powerful. A reluctant partnership was formed.
actually it is comparable to nascar, only the rules on the race are different. a creative crew chief in any motorsport should be able to look at the rule book and find areas where they can be successful in getting past the tech inspectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 06:26 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually it is comparable to nascar, only the rules on the race are different. a creative crew chief in any motorsport should be able to look at the rule book and find areas where they can be successful in getting past the tech inspectors.
You can't be serious about the taxi. A four door with a longer wheel base is not like tweaking the rules in NASCAR where all the cars are essentially the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 AM
 
32,436 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You can't be serious about the taxi. A four door with a longer wheel base is not like tweaking the rules in NASCAR where all the cars are essentially the same.
i have been a crew chief in the past, and i have studied various rule books over the years, and there is always a grey area that a clever crew chief can exploit, even in nascar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 10:20 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have been a crew chief in the past, and i have studied various rule books over the years, and there is always a grey area that a clever crew chief can exploit, even in nascar.
I agree but NASCAR is not going to allow you to bring in a totally different body style because you are tweaking the rules.

But back to Jack Roush, for some reason he seems to not want to tweak the rules like the other owners.
Roush is wealthier than some of the teams that are beating him so it is not resources that is keeping his teams behind.
Perhaps he just doesn't want to part with so much cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 01:40 PM
 
9,420 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Reputation: 12178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I agree but NASCAR is not going to allow you to bring in a totally different body style because you are tweaking the rules.

But back to Jack Roush, for some reason he seems to not want to tweak the rules like the other owners.
Roush is wealthier than some of the teams that are beating him so it is not resources that is keeping his teams behind.
Perhaps he just doesn't want to part with so much cash?
I could be wrong, but I wonder if the partnership with Fenway has something to do with it. More levels of corporate BS to go through that's throwing them behind.

I will say that I doubt that Jack is HAPPY about how his teams are performing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM
 
32,436 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I agree but NASCAR is not going to allow you to bring in a totally different body style because you are tweaking the rules.

But back to Jack Roush, for some reason he seems to not want to tweak the rules like the other owners.
Roush is wealthier than some of the teams that are beating him so it is not resources that is keeping his teams behind.
Perhaps he just doesn't want to part with so much cash?
that wasnt the point i was trying to make. it either went over your head, or oyu are being obstinate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that wasnt the point i was trying to make. it either went over your head, or oyu are being obstinate.
OK I'll make it easy for you.

You win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 04:53 AM
 
32,436 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK I'll make it easy for you.

You win!
in other words you still dont get what i was saying. it isnt about a different body, but rather studying the rules and finding the grey areas where one can play to gain an advantage. so dont give me any crap and a different body, i know that nascar uses a set of templates given to the teams to build their bodies. they also give them go/no go gauges to use in certain areas to allow for production variances, and to allow the teams some leeway in modifying the bodies as needed to fit track conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 06:27 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you still dont get what i was saying. it isnt about a different body, but rather studying the rules and finding the grey areas where one can play to gain an advantage. so dont give me any crap and a different body, i know that nascar uses a set of templates given to the teams to build their bodies. they also give them go/no go gauges to use in certain areas to allow for production variances, and to allow the teams some leeway in modifying the bodies as needed to fit track conditions.
I already said you win. Let it go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top