U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 05:06 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,528,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They're continuing to Sponsor Kurt Busch next year, at least.

There's exclusivity similar to what Nextel got.. Existing sponsors are grandfathered, but they can't move teams or change names. Like how Alltel was allowed to stay, but when they were bought by Verizon had to leave or keep the Alltel name on the car.

I think NOS might be an associate with Kyle in Cup.. Shouldn't affect the Xfinity sponsorship at all. 5 hour Energy is questionable as to how they would be classified.. I imagine Monster gets to make that call and will say they can't change teams, which could throw a wrinkle into the plans for Jones.

I'm guessing it'll just be known as the Monster Energy Series.
My son reminded me that there's already a "Monster Cup" series so that's out I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 12:10 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,923,815 times
While watching the awards show on Friday night I thought Brian France was behaving like he was drunk or stoned.

He shuffled along as he walked out both times and when giving the championship rings to the two Johnsons after walking her out to the trophy, he just turned around and walked off leaving her there. Both JJ and Chandra laughed at him as he shuffled back stage. When he did talk he seemed to be mumbling.

I have seen his at these awards often and last night was not the norm.

Did he make that kind of impression on anybody else?

Old 12-03-2016, 04:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,719,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
While watching the awards show on Friday night I thought Brian France was behaving like he was drunk or stoned.

He shuffled along as he walked out both times and when giving the championship rings to the two Johnsons after walking her out to the trophy, he just turned around and walked off leaving her there. Both JJ and Chandra laughed at him as he shuffled back stage. When he did talk he seemed to be mumbling.

I have seen his at these awards often and last night was not the norm.

Did he make that kind of impression on anybody else?
Drunk I'd guess. He's like that every year at Homestead. Could be drugs, but I wouldn't knw the signs to say one way or another.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:43 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,923,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Drunk I'd guess. He's like that every year at Homestead. Could be drugs, but I wouldn't knw the signs to say one way or another.
I noticed it because he normally enjoys the time in front of the TV cameras. Not this time. Hardly spoke and was in and out fast the two times he appeared.
His stumbling or shuffling was noticeable too.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,719,088 times
Format change announcement on Monday at 6pm. Will be aired on NBCSN and FS1. Sounds like there's going to be segments within races and points awarded at the end of each segment. They might also change the fall Chase race at Charlotte to the infield road course.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Quote:
Format change announcement on Monday at 6pm. Will be aired on NBCSN and FS1. Sounds like there's going to be segments within races and points awarded at the end of each segment. They might also change the fall Chase race at Charlotte to the infield road course.
not a fan of the segment points. at least not on the surface..

but i do wish they had more road races.. albeit, not sold on the infield at Charlotte.. but willing to give it a shot if they do..

Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM

890 posts, read 1,531,667 times
Quote:
If they change any race from an oval to a road course after prople bought their tickets, nascar should be sued for misrepresenting their product.

I swear everytime I think baby brian can't be more asinine he proves me wrong.

He may not be the sole reason it is going down the bowl, but he's not helping.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
If they change any race from an oval to a road course after prople bought their tickets, nascar should be sued for misrepresenting their product.

I swear everytime I think baby brian can't be more asinine he proves me wrong.

He may not be the sole reason it is going down the bowl, but he's not helping.

I think they are trying to recapture that boom they had in the late 90s and early 00s.. They need to focus on what originally got them that BOOM and not some stupid gimic to try and recapture it.. they had NO CHASE before or during that BOOM (Although, i like the CHASE FORMAT).. they had no silly segment points racing.... sometimes you can't see the TREESs because of the FOREST.

As an old school fan.. NASCAR is about the RACE itself. period. I don't need a pre game concert, i don't need any pre race hoopla.. i just need the cars to be rolling to the green flag.. thats what gets me to my feet.. if the only reason a person goes to a NASCAR race is to see the pre game glitter then they are not a long term fan and certainly NOT someone you need to gear your sport towards.. that's DUMB!

Give me back my 2nd Atlanta Race, give me back Rockingham or Wilkesboro or even Nashville at the Infinity level, something. I don't mind racing out west or Mexico or Canada.. but you don't do that at the expense of the fans who BUILT the SPORT!!! Again, thats just DUMB! I love NASCAR because my dad did.. my son loves it because i do.. if you want his SON to love it, you better STOP ignoring him..

You should be able to expand the sport without losing your traditional fan base.. IMO, the boom was caused by an influx of non traditional fans.. they came and they went.. they liked it for a few years and then something got their attention.. NASCAR needs to realize that was just a fluke, if you will.. they can't recapture that and all their attempts to do so are simply alienating their current and traditional fan base.. STOP! geez..

Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think they are trying to recapture that boom they had in the late 90s and early 00s.. They need to focus on what originally got them that BOOM and not some stupid gimic to try and recapture it.. they had NO CHASE before or during that BOOM (Although, i like the CHASE FORMAT).. they had no silly segment points racing.... sometimes you can't see the TREESs because of the FOREST.

As an old school fan.. NASCAR is about the RACE itself. period. I don't need a pre game concert, i don't need any pre race hoopla.. i just need the cars to be rolling to the green flag.. thats what gets me to my feet.. if the only reason a person goes to a NASCAR race is to see the pre game glitter then they are not a long term fan and certainly NOT someone you need to gear your sport towards.. that's DUMB!

Give me back my 2nd Atlanta Race, give me back Rockingham or Wilkesboro or even Nashville at the Infinity level, something. I don't mind racing out west or Mexico or Canada.. but you don't do that at the expense of the fans who BUILT the SPORT!!! Again, thats just DUMB! I love NASCAR because my dad did.. my son loves it because i do.. if you want his SON to love it, you better STOP ignoring him..

You should be able to expand the sport without losing your traditional fan base.. IMO, the boom was caused by an influx of non traditional fans.. they came and they went.. they liked it for a few years and then something got their attention.. NASCAR needs to realize that was just a fluke, if you will.. they can't recapture that and all their attempts to do so are simply alienating their current and traditional fan base.. STOP! geez..
Seems like NASCAR is failing with all the gimmicks to entice fans to buy tickets.
Restrictor plate crash fests are not working, constant change in the championship series not working.

I suggest they take a note of what keeps people coming thru the doors of Walmart while other retailers are failing.

Keep the prices low while you sell them the same products as last year.

Forget about those faux fans on the West coast and bring the races back to your real fans on this side of the country.

Especially bring back Rockingham since it's only 15 miles away from me.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
I won't get on my high-horse about wally-world because this isn't the place. lol But that model won't work here. Getting rid of all the junk before the race, the sideshow, might help. I dunno. New fans will be tough to find and old fans aren't enjoying the product. I do think the old tracks would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or