U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,894,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What difference does it make to me? None.

You think Chevy will sign off on someone who drives for another manufacturer being the fill in?

I think Darrell Wallace, Jr would be a hell of a choice to fill in.. But driving a Ford on Saturday and a chevy on Sunday? Not going to fly.

Erik Jones would be a great fill in.. He did a hell of a job for Kyle and Kenseth last year.. But, he drives a Toyota.

So what difference does it make what name is on the car? A lot.
Did it make a difference to Joe Gibbs to sign Ford driver David Regan to drive a Toyota in place of Kyle Bush.

Does it make a difference for Chip Ganassi to run Prototype Fords in the Rolex series and have his Chevy drivers drive them in Cup.

Darrel Wallace is in a top tier factory supported Ford team. If Ford signed off he would be allowed to run the Stewart car.

Wallace or Eric Jones do not have the experience of Gililland in a restrictor plate Cup Car.

Right now as we debate this David Gililland is the most experienced restrictor plate driver with a good record, available to fill in.

Don't know if he will be picked but IMO he is more qualified than the guys you suggested.

That being said, Bobby Labonte has a guaranteed starting spot available and if Stewart can lure him away from the #32, that might happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Did it make a difference to Joe Gibbs to sign Ford driver David Regan to drive a Toyota in place of Kyle Bush.

Does it make a difference for Chip Ganassi to run Prototype Fords in the Rolex series and have his Chevy drivers drive them in Cup.

Darrel Wallace is in a top tier factory supported Ford team. If Ford signed off he would be allowed to run the Stewart car.

Wallace or Eric Jones do not have the experience of Gililland in a restrictor plate Cup Car.

Right now as we debate this David Gililland is the most experienced restrictor plate driver with a good record, available to fill in.

Don't know if he will be picked but IMO he is more qualified than the guys you suggested.

That being said, Bobby Labonte has a guaranteed starting spot available and if Stewart can lure him away from the #32, that might happen.
Ragan i'll buy.. But, they took him away from a Ford team. He wasn't filling in.. He was released and then signed by JGR, then MWR. Something of a difference there. Though, you're right, I forgot he started the year in the #34.. I had thought it was the #23. And.. It was a low tier Ford team. One that I don't even think is factory supported. that throws a wrench in the works.. Because, someone signed to a non-factory supported team.. All bets are off.

As for Ganassi.. Didn't Chevy just return to the Rolex series recently? I don't follow it. If so.. I'm sure his contract with Ford prevents him from switching, and i'm sure that his contract with Chevy states that he can run whatever in any series that chevy doesn't participate in.

"If Ford signed off" is a huge statement. It wouldn't happen.

Eric Jones doesn't have the experience, I agree.. And Chevy, i'm sure, doesn't want him to get that experience.

Sadler is more experienced, and has better top 10 stats at plate races than Gilliland.

18 top 10's in 62 races for Sadler (29%) NASCAR Statistics:*Elliott*Sadler*at*Restrictor Plate Tracks*[DriverAverages.com]

9 top 10's in 42 races for Gilliland. (21%) NASCAR Statistics:*David*Gilliland*at*Restrictor Plate Tracks*[DriverAverages.com]

Now.. Whoever you choose will be in the car for 11 races AFTER the 500, at least. Assuming we're looking at running a single driver, which I think makes the most sense because you want to have some consistency for the team and let crew chief and driver connect. You don't get that if you're playing musical chairs week to week with the driver..

So, with that in mind. Do you want Gilliland in there for the next 11 races? Do you want someone with the best shot to win the Daytona 500, or someone with the best shot to win/finish well in the 12 races he will be in there? If your answer is the latter.. Then Sadler would seem to be the best choice. If there were a road course involved, then obviously you go grab Boris or similar for that, but..

No chance on Labonte. He's stated he has no interest in running full time and seems to be following Terry's career path where he's running the plate races and that's it. I believe he's committed to the Goodwood Festival again this year anyway.

We can all go back and forth on it.. We're close to racing, so.. I figure it'll be announced within a week. It could be Gilliland.. I'll be surprised, but not completely shocked if it is. I'll be completely shocked if he's the driver for all races that Stewart is out.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 AM
PDD

Quote:
Ragan i'll buy.. But, they took him away from a Ford team. He wasn't filling in.. He was released and then signed by JGR, then MWR. Something of a difference there. Though, you're right, I forgot he started the year in the #34.. I had thought it was the #23. And.. It was a low tier Ford team. One that I don't even think is factory supported. that throws a wrench in the works.. Because, someone signed to a non-factory supported team.. All bets are off.

As for Ganassi.. Didn't Chevy just return to the Rolex series recently? I don't follow it. If so.. I'm sure his contract with Ford prevents him from switching, and i'm sure that his contract with Chevy states that he can run whatever in any series that chevy doesn't participate in.

"If Ford signed off" is a huge statement. It wouldn't happen.

Eric Jones doesn't have the experience, I agree.. And Chevy, i'm sure, doesn't want him to get that experience.

Sadler is more experienced, and has better top 10 stats at plate races than Gilliland.

18 top 10's in 62 races for Sadler (29%) NASCAR Statistics:*Elliott*Sadler*at*Restrictor Plate Tracks*[DriverAverages.com]

9 top 10's in 42 races for Gilliland. (21%) NASCAR Statistics:*David*Gilliland*at*Restrictor Plate Tracks*[DriverAverages.com]

Now.. Whoever you choose will be in the car for 11 races AFTER the 500, at least. Assuming we're looking at running a single driver, which I think makes the most sense because you want to have some consistency for the team and let crew chief and driver connect. You don't get that if you're playing musical chairs week to week with the driver..

So, with that in mind. Do you want Gilliland in there for the next 11 races? Do you want someone with the best shot to win the Daytona 500, or someone with the best shot to win/finish well in the 12 races he will be in there? If your answer is the latter.. Then Sadler would seem to be the best choice. If there were a road course involved, then obviously you go grab Boris or similar for that, but..

No chance on Labonte. He's stated he has no interest in running full time and seems to be following Terry's career path where he's running the plate races and that's it. I believe he's committed to the Goodwood Festival again this year anyway.

We can all go back and forth on it.. We're close to racing, so.. I figure it'll be announced within a week. It could be Gilliland.. I'll be surprised, but not completely shocked if it is. I'll be completely shocked if he's the driver for all races that Stewart is out.
Just a heads up for you.

Chevy does compete in the prototype class in IMSA.

Ganassi went with Ford because he wanted to. He has a contract with Chevy in Cup that's all.

Who doesn't want to see a driver from a low funded team do well in a top team?

Every single driver in Cup (except for Danica) was a winning driver on their way up. Unfortunately there are only 20-25 Cup teams capable of winning. Somebody has to drive the low funded cars.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:46 AM

3,044 posts, read 2,209,219 times
Ricky Stenhouse will drive it in the Unlimited.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Ricky Stenhouse will drive it in the Unlimited.
Car is not eligible. Drivers are eligible. Stenhouse gets in to fill out the field.

Casey Mears takes Jeff Gordon's spot since he won't be driving.

Since Stewart will not be driving, then it goes to Stenhouse based on points.

Now.. An interesting thing.. Stewart COULD choose to put Gilliland in the car, which would kick Stenhouse back out and put Gilliland in.

Since Gilliland is a former 500 pole winner, he's eligible over Stenhouse.

Last edited by Labonte18; 02-08-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM

3,044 posts, read 2,209,219 times
Quote:
Car is not eligible. Drivers are eligible. Stenhouse gets in to fill out the field.

Casey Mears takes Jeff Gordon's spot since he won't be driving.

Since Stewart will not be driving, then it goes to Stenhouse based on points.

Now.. An interesting thing.. Stewart COULD choose to put Gilliland in the car, which would kick Stenhouse back out and put Gilliland in.

Since Gilliland is a former 500 pole winner, he's eligible over Stenhouse.

OK, I see now, the article I read has been edited now. It said Stenhouse will replace Stewart in the 14 car, now says his "spot". I had forgotten about it being the driver, not the car.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
OK, I see now, the article I read has been edited now. It said Stenhouse will replace Stewart in the 14 car, now says his "spot". I had forgotten about it being the driver, not the car.
Easy mistake to make. The rules on the Unlimited/Shootout/Clash change quite often.

The All Star race, when someone wins, the car AND driver become eligible. At least for a year the car is eligible. Car wins the championship, it isn't good for 10 years, it's only good for that year.. UNLESS, of course, they win at, say, Darlington, right before the All Star Race.. Which means.. They win Darlington in '16, the car is eligible for the all star race in '16 as a current year winner, and '17 as the prior year winner.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM

Just to beat this dead horse a little more until we get an answer, supposedly tomorrow..

Who will replace Tony Stewart? Here are some candidates – NASCAR Talk

Their top 4 mirror mine, but include Clint Bowyer. I, as I've said before, frankly don't think Bowyer can move with sponsor commitments right now. The sponsors he will be racing for this year are the ones they want to keep happy for NEXT year so they move over with him. So, i'd move him down to 'unlikely'

Vickers and Labonte I'd move down to Unlikely as well. Medical reasons for one, lack of will to drive long term for the other.

Erik Jones, I'd drop all the way to No.

Bowman is one I didn't really think of.. But.. I'd say that only happens if everyone above him says no. Him and Moffitt in the same boat there.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:36 PM

Word is.. Vickers for Daytona. Assuming he can get medical clearance, which I think is less than a sure thing.

If he is cleared.. Then I say put him in until Stewart is back. But, have a backup plan, because there's a good chance that clearance will go away.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:03 AM
PDD

Vickers is a good choice skills wise. Just hope he doesn't have a medical issue while on track.Of course Tony has caused the big one without any medical issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or