U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Ford
I should have remembered that.. Robert Yates Racing #28 Havilon Ford...
HOw many Championships do you think Gordon might have missed out on had Davy lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,188,974 times
That's really difficult to say but it would have been one helluva rivalry.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM

58,199 posts, read 41,042,722 times
Curtis Turner

Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 PM

9,433 posts, read 7,112,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
HOw many Championships do you think Gordon might have missed out on had Davy lived.
See.. Most people say that Earnhardt wouldn't have won 7 championships if Davey had lived.. But, I looked at it a while back, and.. I don't think that's the case.

Davey was 32 when he died in '93. He was not having a good season in 93. He was 5th in points, 323 points back. So.. '93.. Not much of a chance he wins the championship.

In 1994, Earnhardt won the title by over 400 points. The 28 was neck and neck with him until Irvan's accident.. So, is it possible he wouldn't have won it? Yes, but.. After Irvan's wreck, Earnhardt had 1 win, 8 top 5 and 9 top 10 in 10 races. With most of the top 5's being 2nd or 3rd place. I can't see where Irvin or Allison would have been able to hang. So.. 94.. out.

95. Gordon won the championship over Earnhardt. 4614 points, which was about 80 less than what Earnhardt got the year before. So, still a very strong year. There's much more a possibility he would have won it this year, but, certainly not definite.

96.. About the same as '95. Labonte wins with 4657 points, more points than the year before. So, there's a chance here..

97.. 4710 won it, but there was an additional 2 races this year. California and Texas. This might be the best shot. Yates was strong.

98.. Gordon won with 5300+ points. Noone was beating him that year.

99.. Well, Jarrett was dominant and won the championship in Yates equipment. So, it's possible. But Jarrett had a great year.

00 - Yates had a big falloff, Labonte's worst finish that year was 21st.

01 - A real possibility. This was a weird year that noone wanted to win the championship, it seemed.

Past here.. He's in his 40's.. While some drivers have done well after 40.. It's few and far between the drivers that have had success, much less contended for a championship after age 40.

Also in the equation is that he was very much a 'wreckers or checkers' type driver and often injured. So.. I think he might have won a championship, but likely not more than 1.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:43 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,205,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
See.. Most people say that Earnhardt wouldn't have won 7 championships if Davey had lived.. But, I looked at it a while back, and.. I don't think that's the case.

Earnhardt himself said that in an interview after his 7th. I wish I could find at least transcripts from that interview, but alas, it apparently doesnt exist any longer. Im pretty sure it was on Speed, and Dick Berggren was the man who did the interview, but it could have been Dave Despain, I really dont recall which one, but I do vividly remember him saying that. And who knows what would/could have happened id Davey had lived. Cant really use other drivers records to say yes or no.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 AM

572 posts, read 1,317,323 times
When I first started watching NASCAR with my dad, late 70's, early 80's without a doubt I pulled for The King, #43. Loved watching him and reading stories about him. As I got older, I really liked Mark Martin, he seemed very humble about where he started. My dad was a die-hard Dale Sr fan....

Now, I pull for the #48, a couple of reasons. My brother and sister in law worked for Lowes. When they first sponsored a car, can't remember who drove it, but he was terrible. Mike Skinner? So, when Jimmie came along and started winning, I was stoked. Been a fan since he started driving. Now, I am looking forward to following Chase Elliot too... I have followed him since he was about 15 or 16...he seems to be pretty level headed and doesn't tear stuff up. Very mature for his age.. see what he can do in the 24.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Earnhardt himself said that in an interview after his 7th. I wish I could find at least transcripts from that interview, but alas, it apparently doesnt exist any longer. Im pretty sure it was on Speed, and Dick Berggren was the man who did the interview, but it could have been Dave Despain, I really dont recall which one, but I do vividly remember him saying that. And who knows what would/could have happened id Davey had lived. Cant really use other drivers records to say yes or no.
I don't disagree that he said it, I remember it as well. That doesn't make it any more factual.

We can both agree that being 350+ points back in July, it would be VERY unlikely that Davey would have won the '93 Championship, right?

So.. That leaves 94 as the only chance he would have had to 'take one away' from Earnhardt.

And Earnhardt had one hell of a year that year. So, I don't think so.

I'll buy that he might have taken one from Gordon, or DJ or Terry's second.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:43 PM

3,042 posts, read 2,205,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't disagree that he said it, I remember it as well. That doesn't make it any more factual.

We can both agree that being 350+ points back in July, it would be VERY unlikely that Davey would have won the '93 Championship, right?

So.. That leaves 94 as the only chance he would have had to 'take one away' from Earnhardt.

And Earnhardt had one hell of a year that year. So, I don't think so.

I'll buy that he might have taken one from Gordon, or DJ or Terry's second.
Guess we will never know for sure will we.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:36 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I was a Davey Allison fan and IMO he was winning because at the time the Robert Yates Fords were making more power than the old in line valve Chevys. Constant upgrades and newer Chevy engines leveled the playing field and the Fords were no longer dominant.

Remember, Robert Yates was building Chevy engines for Ranier Racing and when he bought the team he switched over to Fords.

So no without a dominant car Davey would not have done much to slow down Jeff Gordon.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I was a Davey Allison fan and IMO he was winning because at the time the Robert Yates Fords were making more power than the old in line valve Chevys. Constant upgrades and newer Chevy engines leveled the playing field and the Fords were no longer dominant.

Remember, Robert Yates was building Chevy engines for Ranier Racing and when he bought the team he switched over to Fords.

So no without a dominant car Davey would not have done much to slow down Jeff Gordon.
Well.. Look at Gordon's championship years.. Mostly I agree. I'm only looking at 95, 97 and 98 because of my whole "over 40" thing, which Davey would have been by the '01 season.

In 95, best Ford was Mark Martin. 300 points behind in 4th. Dale Jarrett, driving the 28 that year, could only muster a 13th place finish. Alot of that was horrible luck, but.. That was Davey's car. So.. Not likely.

97.. Again, I think this is his best shot. Jarrett finished 14 points back of Gordon. Now, his teammate, Irvan, was 14th in Davey's car, but.. Irvan's best days were over at this point.

98.. Noone was catching or beating Gordon that year.

Another interesting consideration.. Would Yates have gone to a 2 car team? The only reason he went to 2 cars was to have a ride for Irvan when he came back. If they hadn't expanded to a 2 car team.. that would have hurt Davey's chances of a championship. Remember, we haven't had a single car team win a championship since Kulwicki in 92. And, it's unlikely we will anytime soon with the current landscape.

I can just about guarantee you that Larry Mac would never have been Earnhardt's crew chief if Allison hadn't died.

I will add here.. Just random musings.. The death of RYR/Yates Racing was due to the signing of 2 people.. Kenny Irwin and David Gilliland. They were obviously looking for the next Jeff Gordon in both, and while both were serviceable cup drivers.. They should not have gotten the #28 ride. Gilliland always seemed to be an impulse signing. He won that Kentucky(?) Busch race and was the "next big thing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or