Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times

Advertisements

TESTING:
January 25-26: Paul Ricard, Wet-weather running
February 22-25: Barcelona
March 1-4: Barcelona

RACES:
March 20 - Australia
April 3 - Bahrain
April 17 - China
May 1 - Sochi
May 15 - Spain
May 29 - Monaco
June 12 - Canada
June 19 - Baku
July 3 - Austria
July 10 - Britain
July 24 - Hungary
July 31 - Germany
August 28 - Belgium
September 4 - Italy
September 18 - Singapore
October 2 - Malaysia
October 9 - Japan
October 23 - USA
November 6 - Mexico
November 13 - Brazil
November 27 - Abu Dhabi

Haas F1 official Guenther Steiner has said Haas is hoping for a points finish at the first race. Hmmm, I am sure Honda hoped the same thing in 2015.

Austin is on the calendar. For this year, anyway. I think Bernie needs the US market (more than it needs him).

NBCSN/NBC/CBNC will show the races in the US.

For our UK friends, BBC has lost the F1 rights and races will now be on ITV.

Renault bought Lotus for £1. Hope they are worth it....

Pulled from: F1 Fanatic, Planet F1, BBC Sport, Skysports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
Haas is a bit nuts if he thinks that's happening. Probably be lucky if the car isn't staled on the grid for the first race. I do wonder about the USGP. Seems more of a money sink than a money maker. Dunno. Definitely not a strong market for F1.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:56 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Haas is a bit nuts if he thinks that's happening. Probably be lucky if the car isn't staled on the grid for the first race. I do wonder about the USGP. Seems more of a money sink than a money maker. Dunno. Definitely not a strong market for F1.
Bernie Ecclestone is creating an environment where only government backed races will exist, as long as CVC gets its money, he doesn't care. The problem is that audiences are not growing, new fans aren't coming, and if traditional races keep disappearing we can kiss F1 goodbye in two decades or less.

As for Haas, I'm in your boat. Even if this has been the first new team with a solid foundation in ages, hoping for points seems a bit too much... there are 2 Mercedes, 2 Ferraris, 2 Williams, 2 Red Bulls, 8 cars definitely faster, and then there are 2 Toro Rossos (great 2015 chassis now getting a proper engine), 2 Force Indias and possibly the McLarens for the other two spots... plus Sauber could be decent-ish... They will need miracles to get points.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 PM

I'd be okay with rules changes that tipped the playing field toward new and struggling teams - more testing days, the ability to make engines changes after February, and a larger engine/powerunit/transmission budget than the top teams get.

Heck, I wouldn't actually be averse to additional weight penalties for top teams, either. Watching a race in which there are 4, maybe 6, cars on the lead lap is not fun. I don't need to see all 22 (hah!) cars competitive for P1, but there has to be more racing for more positions.

Although part of that problem is with the tracks themselves, almost as much as the aero packages.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Bernie Ecclestone is creating an environment where only government backed races will exist, as long as CVC gets its money, he doesn't care. The problem is that audiences are not growing, new fans aren't coming, and if traditional races keep disappearing we can kiss F1 goodbye in two decades or less.

As for Haas, I'm in your boat. Even if this has been the first new team with a solid foundation in ages, hoping for points seems a bit too much... there are 2 Mercedes, 2 Ferraris, 2 Williams, 2 Red Bulls, 8 cars definitely faster, and then there are 2 Toro Rossos (great 2015 chassis now getting a proper engine), 2 Force Indias and possibly the McLarens for the other two spots... plus Sauber could be decent-ish... They will need miracles to get points.
I'm no F1 fan and yes it is a different series but back in 1966 there was no way Ford was going to win the 24 hrs of Le Mans against Ferrari.
How about 1,2,3 finish.

Probably not gonna, but stuff happens. Never discount American ingenuity.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm no F1 fan and yes it is a different series but back in 1966 there was no way Ford was going to win the 24 hrs of Le Mans against Ferrari.
How about 1,2,3 finish.

Slightly off topic: I recommend the book Go Like Hell about those times. Great read. Reads like a novel, full of history and insider quotes.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Like-Hell-F.../dp/0547336055

I am happy to see an American team in F1, especially one build on a solid base, with good management (Gene Haas himself, Steiner as principal) and a smart model. Unlike the USF1 fiasco, I think Haas will be successful. I am just not too confident about points in their first season.

I will be rooting for them, first because I lived in Charlotte for a while, and secondly because I'm Mexican and they will have Esteban Gutiérrez as one of their drivers

Old 01-17-2016, 12:37 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
How about 1,2,3 finish.

That was 50 years ago. Ford had the technical and financial resources to beat Ferrari. Le Mans is also very different from F1, especially these days. The Haas team will use Ferrari engines and chassis developed by Italian Dallera. They have a French and a Mexian driver. Where is the American ingenuity? The money and sponsors?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:18 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Haas F1 has such a close, rule-bending technical relationship with Ferrari it's being called the Ferrari Junior Team. Not much American ingenuity is involved.

The relationship is understandable since the U.S. is Ferrari's biggest market.

Of course, Haas denies it.

Anyway, the days of "ingenuity" being enough to succeed in F1 are long past.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Haas F1 has such a close, rule-bending technical relationship with Ferrari it's being called the Ferrari Junior Team. Not much American ingenuity is involved.

The relationship is understandable since the U.S. is Ferrari's biggest market.

Of course, Haas denies it.

Anyway, the days of "ingenuity" being enough to succeed in F1 are long past.
Ingenuity is what succeeds in any sport. It's not just all about the hardware.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:11 AM

Maldonado (my leaset favorite driver in the field) has lost his £20mil sponsorship and is out at Renault/Lotus, replaced by Kevin Magnussen.

Haas is supposed to debut their car at the Barcelona tests, very end of February (most everyone else will show early/mid Feb in "special press events").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing