U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times

Advertisements

Who are your favorite drivers in NASCAR past or present? My favorites are Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, the Busch Brothers, Jimmie Johnson, Danica Patrick since she came from IndyCar as she is the only current NASCAR driver in the Sprint Cup, Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Dale Jarrett, and Kevin Harvick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,185,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Who are your favorite drivers in NASCAR past or present? My favorites are Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, the Busch Brothers, Jimmie Johnson, Danica Patrick since she came from IndyCar as she is the only current NASCAR driver in the Sprint Cup, Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Dale Jarrett, and Kevin Harvick.
Davey Allison, Dale Jarrett, Ernie Irvan (When he drove for RYR) Don't really have a current favorite but wear my Jr hat when I go out. Pull for different people really, except those 2 bozos who drive for Penske and JJ. Oh and Denny Hamlin, don't like him either.

Never liked DW, and I despise even hearing his name or his voice!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Gordon. I've always like him and what he brought to the sport. I like Jr as he kinda gets it. They're paid a lot of money to do something they'd do for fun and free. Helps to grow up in the sport I'm sure. Liked DJ when he was racing. Kyle Petty I've always liked. He has a big mouth like DW but I like Kyle more.

The new generation of drivers leave me cold. Can't say I like or dislike any of them. They are just uninteresting.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM

156 posts, read 232,497 times
Davis Person,Alan Kulwicki and the Alabama gang . Great racing back then, The 80s/90s were a great time for nascar. But my all time favortie would be Mark Martin, overcame alot to be in nascar and is one of the most respected drivers ever to strap in.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:31 AM

196 posts, read 236,913 times
Dale Earnhardt, Mario Andretti and Richard Petty are my favorite drivers of all time. I'm old enough to recall when drivers like Andretti and A.J. Foyt would drive both open wheel and stock cars during the course of the race season. Recently retired Jeff Gordon is now one of my favorite all time drivers.

I Follow the NASCAR Sprint Cup, Xfinity and Camping World Truck series as well as Indy Racing and Formula One. The demise of the Speed Channel which morphed into the Fox Sports Network was a sad day for motorsports fans. I miss watching all levels of racing on Speed as well as Dave Despain on Sunday nights during the race season. My car has Sirius Radio so I can listen to the NASCAR Radio when I'm driving. My favorite day during the race season is the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. If I'm home or attending the Indy 500 I'll get up early and watch the Grand Prix of Monaco. At it's conclusion I'll make my way to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway or tune in on cable. Following the Indy 500 I'll tune into the NASCAR Coca Cola 600. I'm not much of a Kurt Busch fan but I was pulling for him when he drove in in the Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600 in 2014.

My favorite drivers that are still racing are Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Martin Truex, Jr. and Tony Stewart. The retirement of Jeff Gordon is the end of an era in modern stock car racing. Regardless if people love or hate Gordon he helped make NASCAR a mainstream sport in America.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Well, should be obvious who my #1 is.. But.. Old school drivers..

I always liked Dave Marcis and Dick Trickle(For smoking under caution, I still love that shot).. Harry Gant.

My favorite crew chief of all time, I think, was Fatback McSwain.

Ernie Irvan I liked alot more after the accident. He was a total idiot during his time at MMM.

Gordon, I respected, but never cared for as a driver.

Kyle Petty I liked alot more after Adam's death. Prior to that, he just rubbed me the wrong way, but the way he handled himself afterwards.. I gained alot of respect for him.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:10 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
lets start with the golden oldies;

richard petty
david pearson
tiny lund
junior johnson
ned jarrett
cale yarborough
darryl waltrip
dale earnhardt sr
bobby issacs
bobby allison
donny allison

and the next generation;

bill elliot
davey allison
mark martin
alan kulwiki
dale jarrett
kyle petty
jeff gordon, even though he pissed me off by jumping to hendricks and leaving davis in a lurch
terry and bobby labonte

and the current crop;

carl edwards
kyle busch
kurt busch
tony stewart
dale e jr
mat kennseth
greg biffle

there are others, but that is all i can think of right now.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
I have to admit I was always a Ford driver fan, probably from back in the day when Fords dominated the circuit, 50's 60's. Just like the Chevy's did for many years 70's- 2000's (except for a couple of years when the superior HP of the Ernie Elliott and Robert Yates engines spoiled their fun).
Now it's looking more like the Japanese manufacturers ship has finally come in after outspending the American manufacturers.
Manufacturer loyalty among drivers gas gone away just like team loyalty in MLB and the NFL.

Drivers I once rooted for have now gone to the enemy and drivers I despised are now on team Ford.

That being said it's not hard to like Jr., Edwards, Hamlin and most of the other drivers.

About the only driver I really dislike is the cry baby Tony Stuart. Nobody in NASCAR tries harder to prove how macho they are.

Good driver= yes
Tough guy= thou doth protest too much

Old 02-03-2016, 06:41 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
I never sided with a driver or team due to the manufacturer...

I couldn't even tell you what car, My original favorite driver Coo Coo Marlin, drove.
Sterlin was easy to root for as well... what was that KodaK #4.. chevy? I can't remember.
I was a big fan of Bill Elliott in the mid 80s. Ford Thunderbird i am sure.

Davy Allison was my favorite for a short time but again, not sure of the manufacturer. After he died, i started rooting for that California kid Jeff Gordon. Chevy..
I followed Jr from Busch to Cup and he became my favorite. Chevy.

I still favor Jr but expect to root hard for that new kid Chase Elliot this year and years to come. Elliot will be in a Chevy but he could move over to Ford or Toyota in a few years and I could care less. To me its about the driver, not the car.. of course.. on the track.. the car is just as important if not more so than the driver but i don't put much thought into the manufacturer.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,185,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Davy Allison was my favorite for a short time but again, not sure of the manufacturer.
Ford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or