U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:50 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,864,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so toyota is winning these days, big deal its part of racing. chevy has dominated overall for a long time, ford dominated for a while in the 80s and 90s, and the 60s. its all relative in the long run.

back in the day the chassis to have was a banjo mathews chassis, today most teams do them in house.

at one time a rear steer chassis dominated the scene, now its front steer chassis all the way.

you can bet that the chevy and ford teams are working hard to stay competitive, and that work ill pay off at some point in the future.
I have no problem with Toyota winning a race now and then, it the total domination first in trucks, then Exfinity and now Cup that bothers me.

You have guys with little experience driving Toyotas in Truck and Exfinity beating up on experienced drivers in GM and Fords. So it's not superior drivers, it's superior equipment.

You have a former Football coach beating on a regular basis.

Jack Roush,
Rick Hendrick
Richard Childress
Roger Penske

All Former winning owners who can't beat a football coach on their home turf.

Somebody is getting an unfair advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:06 PM

17,258 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Nah, aint the Toys that's causing the low attendance. It NASCAR that's causing that. It all started with the death of Earnhardt, which led to the COT, which lead to all these rule changes, and on and on....

Nascar is just not as fun to watch anymore!
Yea, but it sounds so much better to blame it on those evil Japanese taking over all things American (kind of like the Japan bashing days of the early 80's and 90's).

Old 04-17-2016, 06:28 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,187,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have no problem with Toyota winning a race now and then, it the total domination first in trucks, then Exfinity and now Cup that bothers me.

You have guys with little experience driving Toyotas in Truck and Exfinity beating up on experienced drivers in GM and Fords. So it's not superior drivers, it's superior equipment.

Jack Roush,
Rick Hendrick
Richard Childress
Roger Penske

So if it was Chevrolet winning all of the races, would it still be unfair? I don't care who wins the most, who wins the least, I just want to watch good racing, and Nascar has ruined it, not Toyota!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
So if it was Chevrolet winning all of the races, would it still be unfair? I don't care who wins the most, who wins the least, I just want to watch good racing, and Nascar has ruined it, not Toyota!
Chevrolet has always won most of the races because they simply outnumbered the other guys.
In Cup Toyota has the fewest entries yet is dominating.

So NASCAR ruined it! I suggest you are correct by allowing Toyota direct factory participation.

It used to be the factory would build you basic engines and the teams squeezed all the power out of them. IMO Toyota is doing that in their factory race shop.

Ford has Roush Yates engines

Chevy has Hendrick Engines and Childress engines

Toyota has TRD the factory racing engine shop.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 PM

32,452 posts, read 26,317,069 times
Quote:

Jack Roush,
Rick Hendrick
Richard Childress
Roger Penske

so back when joe gibbs was running chevrolets and wining races AND championships, you had no problem then? gibbs has won in everything he has done. he puts together the teams and lets them do the jobs he hired them to do, be it football or auto racing.

toyota still has to follow the same rules everyone else does. and if you dont think that yates roush, or any other engine builder isnt always looking for any advantage they can get, you are rather naive. back in the day a uy by the name of waddell wilson built engines for just about everybody on the circuit, and it didnt matter if he built you a pontiac engine, or built an olds engine for you rival, or a ford engine for the guy down the street. he would put in the time to build as much power and reliability into every engine he sold to customers.

toyota is just doing the same thing for the toyota teams. perhaps they found something that roush/yates or hendrick havent yet found in the rule book?

smokey yunich once said that if the crew chief isnt studying the rule book to find any advantage he can, then he isnt trying hard enough. lord knows there were times i had to convince the race inspectors that something we did was legal.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,187,628 times
Quote:
Chevrolet has always won most of the races because they simply outnumbered the other guys.
In Cup Toyota has the fewest entries yet is dominating.

So NASCAR ruined it! I suggest you are correct by allowing Toyota direct factory participation.

It used to be the factory would build you basic engines and the teams squeezed all the power out of them. IMO Toyota is doing that in their factory race shop.

Ford has Roush Yates engines

Chevy has Hendrick Engines and Childress engines

Toyota has TRD the factory racing engine shop
And theres no way Chevy and Ford are involved in building their engine, right?? If Hendrick or R/Y built Toy engines, whos fault would it be then for the big "two" not winning.

Toyota is not the problem!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Probably because Ferrari or somebody else spent more then $2,000,000,000.
At the time Toyota's budget was reported to be the highest of all teams. And in recent history look at Red Bull's four constructor's championships in a row, Adrian Newey was a stronger force than Ferrari's larger budget.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:

Jack Roush,
Rick Hendrick
Richard Childress
Roger Penske

An unfair advantage would be the rules being applied differently to different teams, is there evidence that's what's happening?

Otherwise it's likely what it usually is in racing, someone doing their homework more effectively than others.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
An unfair advantage would be the rules being applied differently to different teams, is there evidence that's what's happening?

Otherwise it's likely what it usually is in racing, someone doing their homework more effectively than others.

Unfair advantage would be outspending the competition by many millions.

Just like when the Yankees were outspending the competition and winning the series every year. They also played by the same rules but they out spent everybody else. Now with a salary cap they do not dominate every year.

This is what I believe Toyota is doing because NASCAR has no spending cap and Toyota will just outspend until they dominate.

You know just like F1.

There is a reason many fans are unhappy with NASCAR. I am suggesting one brand dominance is keeping fans out of the seats. It is my reason for not buying any tickets this year.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 AM

890 posts, read 1,531,916 times
Yet when they Yankees were outspending everyone from 2005-2008 and 2010-present they didn't won. Teams with the highest expenditures doesn't guarantee winning - see the Dodgers. The money has to be spent wisely.

Toyota may be outspending everyone, but they are still playing by the rules. Chevy had their period of dominance, as did Ford. And there was much whining then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or