U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 AM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Reputation: 11886

Advertisements

We were warned years back that if you let a Japaneses company into an American racing series they will stop at nothing until they dominate the sport.
They are starting to do that now.

Yes I know Kyle Bush is a great driver and is winning everything but other much less experienced Toyota drivers are running up front and challenging for the win every week in the Xfinity series.

It started in the Truck series with domination, then the Bush series and now the Cup series.

Toyota has put it's resources and name on every American racing series, now even putting it's name on top fuel and funny car teams in the NHRA

Toyota is the only manufacturer that is building factory race engines with it's own TRD engine shop.

Yes it is true GM and Ford also supplies engines but just the hardware, blocks and heads that come from those manufacturers along with some technical support. Not factory built and tested racing engines.

Sure Hendrick and Childress and Roush Yates can build race engines but they are small shops compared to the Toyota Racing Devision.

Am I pissed that my drivers are lagging behind? Yes and I am sure other GM and Ford fans are also.

It's always been the teams with the biggest budget who win in Racing but Toyota has now gone beyond winning and looking for total domination.

I'm dumping Charlotte for the Indy 500 this year, where an American built engine has a better chance of winning.

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,188,367 times
Reputation: 4514
It's Toyota of America though, so it's all made here by Americans; race cars and real cars. Heck most 'American' cars are made in Canada including a fair few Toyota's. As to racing dominance, it's up to the big 3 to beat them. It's that simple. Be better. That's what racing is all about, be better. Toyota has been nothing but a positive for Nascar and the teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 09:19 AM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It's Toyota of America though, so it's all made here by Americans; race cars and real cars. Heck most 'American' cars are made in Canada including a fair few Toyota's. As to racing dominance, it's up to the big 3 to beat them. It's that simple. Be better. That's what racing is all about, be better. Toyota has been nothing but a positive for Nascar and the teams.
Your right, you can tell that by all the empty seats.

That's where the Ford and GM fans used to sit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
3,036 posts, read 2,203,877 times
Reputation: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Your right, you can tell that by all the empty seats.

That's where the Ford and GM fans used to sit.
Nah, aint the Toys that's causing the low attendance. It NASCAR that's causing that. It all started with the death of Earnhardt, which led to the COT, which lead to all these rule changes, and on and on....

Nascar is just not as fun to watch anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, N.C. area
445 posts, read 681,378 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Nah, aint the Toys that's causing the low attendance. It NASCAR that's causing that. It all started with the death of Earnhardt, which led to the COT, which lead to all these rule changes, and on and on....

Nascar is just not as fun to watch anymore!

Bingo!

Someone that sees and understands what is going on.

The latest travesty is this heat race nonsense in Bristol.

NASCAR is trying everything to bring back the fans but the heyday is over.

The fair weather, short attention span fans that came in to the sport in the late 90's and early 2000's left after they got tired of the latest trendy thing to jump on.

Just look at all the empty seats at today's race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 02:51 PM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Reputation: 11886
NASCAR is turning into F1 for sedans. Whichever factory team spends the most millions dominates.

Who ran up front today, mostly Toyota's in front of a 50% capacity stadium. Thanks NASCAR!

And everybody said Carl was a lousy driver. Amazing what a ride in a full factory team can do for your driving abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,195 posts, read 41,033,815 times
Reputation: 29934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NASCAR is turning into F1 for sedans. Whichever factory team spends the most millions dominates.
Toyota reportedly spent more than $1,000,000,000 in F1 and got no where. While it's certainly nice to have $$$ isn't a guarantee of success in racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 04:00 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,195 posts, read 41,033,815 times
Reputation: 29934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Toyota is the only manufacturer that is building factory race engines with it's own TRD engine shop.

Yes it is true GM and Ford also supplies engines but just the hardware, blocks and heads that come from those manufacturers along with some technical support. Not factory built and tested racing engines.
What equipment do you think TRD has that the top NASCAR Team shops lack? Roush does contract work for manufacturers and with teams like Penske, I doubt they lack anything needed and I'd guess information flows both ways between teams and manufacturers.

Last edited by burdell; 04-17-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 05:12 PM
 
32,497 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Reputation: 19148
so toyota is winning these days, big deal its part of racing. chevy has dominated overall for a long time, ford dominated for a while in the 80s and 90s, and the 60s. its all relative in the long run.

back in the day the chassis to have was a banjo mathews chassis, today most teams do them in house.

at one time a rear steer chassis dominated the scene, now its front steer chassis all the way.

you can bet that the chevy and ford teams are working hard to stay competitive, and that work ill pay off at some point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 05:40 PM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Toyota reportedly spent more than $1,000,000,000 in F1 and got no where. While it's certainly nice to have $$$ isn't a guarantee of success in racing.
Probably because Ferrari or somebody else spent more then $2,000,000,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top