U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-03-2016, 02:37 PM
 
5,222 posts, read 5,091,707 times
Reputation: 9729

Advertisements

Alcohol or gasoline?

If alcohol - straight ethanol, straight methanol, or a mixture? Anything else added?

If alcohol is the current fuel, have they ever used gasoline?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,559 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Reputation: 9802
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Alcohol or gasoline?

If alcohol - straight ethanol, straight methanol, or a mixture? Anything else added?

If alcohol is the current fuel, have they ever used gasoline?
IndyCar Series Chassis Specifications

E85 is the current fuel so they're using gasoline right now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Reputation: 19069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
IndyCar Series Chassis Specifications

E85 is the current fuel so they're using gasoline right now.
yep, the same E85 that is used in nascar as well. indy used to use methanol, and nascar used to use 100+ octane gasoline.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,180 posts, read 40,980,764 times
Reputation: 29918
Gasoline was definitely in use at Indy in 1964, horrible fire in the 1st lap crash that claimed the lives of Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald. Back in the day of the roadster it was common practice to add nitromethane to the methanol during qualifying and I believe in smaller doses during the race itself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 08:17 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Reputation: 12192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, the same E85 that is used in nascar as well. indy used to use methanol, and nascar used to use 100+ octane gasoline.
NASCAR uses E15.

Sunoco Race Fuels | Green E15

NASCAR made the switch away from leaded fuel in '07. Then to the E15 blend in '11 and finally away from carburetors to fuel injection in '12.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 09:02 PM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Reputation: 19069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
NASCAR uses E15.

Sunoco Race Fuels | Green E15

NASCAR made the switch away from leaded fuel in '07. Then to the E15 blend in '11 and finally away from carburetors to fuel injection in '12.
i stand corrected, thank you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top