Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I loved reading this entire thread and it would be too exhausting responding in depth in order to give my opinion................so here is a wicked abbreviated one.

1. Technology and innovation are suffocating NASCAR. Electronic cameras or laser detection on pit lane, track surfaces that adhere the rubber form the tires, different tracks striping the tires, down force, measuring cars with lasers, the cars being so fragile.

2. Form a few focus groups in each part of the US with different age groups. Find out what is wrong. Ten years ago my apprentices and co workers were always talking about NASCAR, now it is college football and then NFL in that order. Fantasy leagues and football pools are what they are all keyed up about.

3. Today's generation does not have the attention span to watch 35 plus cars for several hours listening to the announcers talk about sun in the drivers eyes, changing grip conditions because the track surface does or does not heat up or cool down to keep the rubber on the track or take it off.........and the constant dribble, waiting for the big one.

Just my two cents from seeing all the empty seats and lack of interest of those around me in the age group from 21-40 years old.

One more note......I am a regular at our local Cars and Coffee here in Jacksonvile that is quite large and the younger guys are mostly driving the European cars and the mid fifty to late sixtys group are all sporting brand new Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, and a lot of Vettes. Not a lot of young guys. The interest the younger generation has in cars is changing.
IMO, NASCAR unwittingly killed the armchair racer when they move to common template, COT, Gen6 cars, and all the other attempts to create parity. Parity drives up the cost because teams must do extensive R&R to find speed and stay within the confine of the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
NASCAR needs to get back to some form of actual stock car racing. Parity seems to be making it like some type of engineering competition.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
IMO, NASCAR unwittingly killed the armchair racer when they move to common template, COT, Gen6 cars, and all the other attempts to create parity. Parity drives up the cost because teams must do extensive R&R to find speed and stay within the confine of the rules.
Not ALL those attempts were parity.. Safety was a factor as well. So, juggle the two there.. Safety was the main priority, but yes, they looked at parity as well when making the decisions.

I will say, I am not sad to see the end of the arguments about this car having more front downforce and this car being at a competitive disadvantage, and this make getting an extra half inch on the spoiler.

But, they did totally destroy brand loyalty. Someone in the day going from Ford to Chevy or vice versa was a HUGE deal.. People would be out burning their merchandise.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:31 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Bit of a vanilla article but comments are interesting.

Former NASCAR fans share the variety of reasons why they don't follow the sport anymore | The Charlotte Observer

Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
The cars are too perfect and too the same. Fake yellows, fake make-up laps, fakes finishes all make the whole thing unwatchable. It all seems very contrived. The new drivers aren't helping much. Very cookie cutter and boring. The coverage is a mess. I haven't watch an entire race for years now and haven't watched any nB(lame)c races. The corporate push of the 90s both pumped up the sport and ultimately will kill it.

Well put! Imho it's right up there with "pro 'rasslin" with the NFL closing in fast on both them. Kayfabe

Old 10-30-2016, 10:28 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not ALL those attempts were parity.. Safety was a factor as well. So, juggle the two there.. Safety was the main priority, but yes, they looked at parity as well when making the decisions.

I will say, I am not sad to see the end of the arguments about this car having more front downforce and this car being at a competitive disadvantage, and this make getting an extra half inch on the spoiler.

But, they did totally destroy brand loyalty. Someone in the day going from Ford to Chevy or vice versa was a HUGE deal.. People would be out burning their merchandise.
This is oddly funny because F1 has brand loyalty.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
This is oddly funny because F1 has brand loyalty.
Do you see "Ford Guys" and "Chevy Guys" like you did back in the 70's and 80's and even the 90's?

Tony Stewart would be strung up by his heels in the old days. Are you going to see Harvick fans defect when he goes to Ford? I really don't get that feeling.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Do you see "Ford Guys" and "Chevy Guys" like you did back in the 70's and 80's and even the 90's?

Tony Stewart would be strung up by his heels in the old days. Are you going to see Harvick fans defect when he goes to Ford? I really don't get that feeling.
You might! I was a die hard Carl supporter and Brad hater years back. I no longer support Carl or hate Brad.

Unfortunately nothing could make me a TS or Patrick fan. I'm on the fence with Harvick.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:35 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Quote:

I think there will be some but not as many as would have 10 years ago.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I think there will be some but not as many as would have 10 years ago.
And it'll be the 'old school' guys who do leave. The younger fans could care less. Toyota/Ford/Chevrolet are just emblems on the front of the cars now.

Someone going from Chevrolet to Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile was tolerated, though frowned upon back in the day. Chevy to Ford (or vice versa) would result in a raining of beer cans down on the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing