U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Reputation: 11886

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It will be interesting to see if Suarez is an immediate contender.. he was in XFinity but any body in a Gibbs car will be favored on that circuit.. I suspect he struggles early but would not be surprised to see him in Victory Lane this year.. All of the Gibbs cars win and win often.. Carl will be missed, but IMO, Suarez can easily pick up the baton and run with it.. plus he might be the ONLY GIBBS driver that I root for! I said, MIGHT!
So many Xfinity drivers are great in their own league but underperform in Cup. The Sadler bros. are a good example.

Certainly Alex Bowman has shown that he can perform in Cup so why doesn't he have a quality Cup ride. I guarantee he would outperform the current driver of the #10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Reputation: 4514
I think he'll do about as good as most rookies, Saurez that is. It's big step up with a fair amount of pressure. But I think he'll be good. Certainly has good ride.

Come on now, still hate for Danica? She's been a positive for nascar. If Bowman is as good as people think he'll get his chance. Maybe teams aren't seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I think he'll do about as good as most rookies, Saurez that is. It's big step up with a fair amount of pressure. But I think he'll be good. Certainly has good ride.

Come on now, still hate for Danica? She's been a positive for nascar. If Bowman is as good as people think he'll get his chance. Maybe teams aren't seeing it.
Don't hate Danica but she is a backmarker driver in a top shelf ride. Now that she is losing quality$$$$ sponsors she will soon be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Reputation: 4582
I think Danica is good for the sport. My daughter always asks about her and went to 2 races specifically because of her.. it would tickle me to no end to see her actually win a race but she has shown nothing in 3 or 4 seasons that she can or will do just that...

If Clint Boyer starts to consistently contend in Stewarts ride.. then Danica will be the only SHR that is not a contender..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM
 
890 posts, read 1,531,667 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think Danica is good for the sport. My daughter always asks about her and went to 2 races specifically because of her.. it would tickle me to no end to see her actually win a race but she has shown nothing in 3 or 4 seasons that she can or will do just that...

If Clint Boyer starts to consistently contend in Stewarts ride.. then Danica will be the only SHR that is not a contender..
And it seems the money train is starting to dry up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 AM
 
9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Reputation: 12184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It will be interesting to see if Suarez is an immediate contender.. he was in XFinity but any body in a Gibbs car will be favored on that circuit.. I suspect he struggles early but would not be surprised to see him in Victory Lane this year.. All of the Gibbs cars win and win often.. Carl will be missed, but IMO, Suarez can easily pick up the baton and run with it.. plus he might be the ONLY GIBBS driver that I root for! I said, MIGHT!
Every driver Gibbs has put in has won in their first year.. Short of Yeley, and I don't count Leffler because he wasn't there for a full year (Not that I think he would have won, but..)

Oh.. No.. Dale Jarrett didn't win in his first year.. But won Daytona in his second with Gibbs.

So.. He's got good odds from history.. I think he'll be competitive and show flashes of greatness.. I think he'll have shots to win, but won't say that he will. I think he'll crash a good bit.. In other words.. I think he'll be a basic rookie.

I rank him alongside Aric Almirola right now.. Who I think is a better driver than he shows with Petty.. Put him (back) in a Gibbs car and I think he's a championship contender.

Last edited by Labonte18; 01-31-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM
 
32,439 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Reputation: 19035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It will be interesting to see if Suarez is an immediate contender.. he was in XFinity but any body in a Gibbs car will be favored on that circuit.. I suspect he struggles early but would not be surprised to see him in Victory Lane this year.. All of the Gibbs cars win and win often.. Carl will be missed, but IMO, Suarez can easily pick up the baton and run with it.. plus he might be the ONLY GIBBS driver that I root for! I said, MIGHT!
i like suarez and i hope he does well this season. i suspect that he will struggle at first while getting used to the different cars, but late in the season i think he will come on, perhaps scoring a win or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Reputation: 4582
If Chase Elliott (rookie) can make the Chase leads me to believe Suaraez should/could as well.
I suspect Chase becomes the new face of NASCAR, assuming he can start notching some checkers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i like suarez and i hope he does well this season. i suspect that he will struggle at first while getting used to the different cars, but late in the season i think he will come on, perhaps scoring a win or two.
^^^^ this.

Anybody remember Jeff Gordon when he was a Bush driver, he was the most exciting driver NASCAR had seen in years.

Do you also remember his first year in Cup? He wrecked cars faster than Rick Hendrick could replace them.
Had zero wins his first year and he had a lot less competition than Suarez will have in his first year.

I wish him well but I would not be engraving his name on the ROTY trophy just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Reputation: 4514
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Don't hate Danica but she is a backmarker driver in a top shelf ride. Now that she is losing quality$$$$ sponsors she will soon be gone.
Oh absolutely. Same could be said for a fair few drivers but at least she brings a different sort of interest to nascar. One that brings those $$'s and eyes into the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top