U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2017, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,806 posts, read 6,591,418 times
Reputation: 4178

Advertisements

Well the Atlanta race was boring. What happened to all of the stories about the track surface being slick and the 48 and 88 loving that type of racing, but we never seen those cars be competitive all day?

It was the Happy Harvick show for 98% of the race, just follow the leader. The only time things got interesting was when Harvick was penalized for too fast entering with less than 20 to go. Happy handed a sure win to Kyle Larson, who then proceeded to forget which line to drive and handed the win to Keslowski.

I also laughed when Darrell Waltrip said the track was "packed" with fans and the camera shows the stands about a quarter empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2017, 07:55 AM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,768,752 times
Reputation: 4700
back to back wins by ford ... get ready for a rules change ,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
3,004 posts, read 3,161,992 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
back to back wins by ford ... get ready for a rules change ,,,
Sure hope so...........my Yodas blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,930,804 times
Reputation: 3305
More Brian France approach to NASCAR.

Mufflers on the race cars.

NASCAR considers turning down the volume on its cars

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...AR-volume.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,715 posts, read 2,724,438 times
Reputation: 1460
As someone who attends races, a slight reduction of the noise they make would be a welcomed change for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
Reputation: 8901
I was wrong about the time it would take for teams to settle into a strategy for segment racing. Only needed two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:47 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,930,804 times
Reputation: 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
As someone who attends races, a slight reduction of the noise they make would be a welcomed change for me.
But wouldn't that effect performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 02:04 PM
 
32,526 posts, read 26,415,828 times
Reputation: 19170
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
More Brian France approach to NASCAR.

Mufflers on the race cars.

NASCAR considers turning down the volume on its cars

NASCAR considers turning down the volume on its cars - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
As someone who attends races, a slight reduction of the noise they make would be a welcomed change for me.
i too would welcome the addition of a muffler, even though the ones that will likely be used wont do much muffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
But wouldn't that effect performance?
actually not really. drag cars that run in the northwest, specifically oregon, have to run mufflers. as i recall its state law. and while the racers complained at first, muffler technology has come a long way since the 80s as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Amelia Island
2,977 posts, read 3,969,047 times
Reputation: 3088
While ordinarily this would be a great idea................NASCAR is desperately trying to figure out what to do with the very large elephant in the room.......dwindling fans.

Making changes to appease or should we say draw the milleinials to the track and to make socializing at the track easier shows just how big a problem they have.

Why start designing exhaust systems along with a rules package that set weight, bends, diameters and other nonsense because of the shrinking fan base.

NASCAR has got millions of dollars at their disposal. They need to start determining the demographics and numbers of people attending races currently "which they should already have this data" and proceed to come up with a legitimate game plan to stop the bleeding.

I work in manufacturing in the south and as I have said before, with every fresh batch of apprentices I have had since the late 90's their interest has gone to about zero with this last class. Even the mid fifties guys like me have all but given up talking about racing. We had quite a few that traveled to several races a year, now they occasionally catch it on TV.

Is it the younger guys could care less and us older guys can't transition to the new rules and much younger racers?

My two cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
3,004 posts, read 3,161,992 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
While ordinarily this would be a great idea................NASCAR is desperately trying to figure out what to do with the very large elephant in the room.......dwindling fans.

Making changes to appease or should we say draw the milleinials to the track and to make socializing at the track easier shows just how big a problem they have.

Why start designing exhaust systems along with a rules package that set weight, bends, diameters and other nonsense because of the shrinking fan base.

NASCAR has got millions of dollars at their disposal. They need to start determining the demographics and numbers of people attending races currently "which they should already have this data" and proceed to come up with a legitimate game plan to stop the bleeding.

I work in manufacturing in the south and as I have said before, with every fresh batch of apprentices I have had since the late 90's their interest has gone to about zero with this last class. Even the mid fifties guys like me have all but given up talking about racing. We had quite a few that traveled to several races a year, now they occasionally catch it on TV.

Is it the younger guys could care less and us older guys can't transition to the new rules and much younger racers?

My two cents
Agree with everything you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top