U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:10 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,877,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
We may see Dodge return to NASCAR. No word if they will be in the "premier" (formerly Cup) series or not.

It would mostly take them until 2018, since they have to find a team that wants to sign with them.
I can see Penske going back to Dodge if Ford can't give him a championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 AM

3,033 posts, read 2,198,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
It seems Monster Energy will be the new sponsor. Does that mean that starting next season, Johnson will be referred to as last seasons' Monster Energy champion. Will Dale Sr., when he is mentioned, be a 7-time Monster Energy champion? They get a new sponsor and then sell the history along with it.
They, meaning Nascar and the announcers, did say "whatever year" Nextel champ when Winston left, but I noticed a trend with the booth boobs calling past champions just Cup champions when refering to those who were Winston Cup champions.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:10 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
We may see Dodge return to NASCAR. No word if they will be in the "premier" (formerly Cup) series or not.

It would mostly take them until 2018, since they have to find a team that wants to sign with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I can see Penske going back to Dodge if Ford can't give him a championship.
I'd be surprised at the first, pretty shocked at the second.

Dodge, supposedly, left their motorsports program in hibernation, with the ability to quickly return. They haven't been out long, but they built a 2013 car, then never ran it.. But that car is three years behind the times. Three years worth of notes they don't have.

Who would they pull? I think Penske is a reach. They're basically the #1 Ford team. SHR comes in at #2 and then Roush.

You don't leave being #1 somewhere. Gibbs left being #1 at Pontiac to be #3 or so back at Chevy, but they saw the writing that Pontiac was pulling out.

They could pull a Roush, which might bring along FRM.. Probably could entice Ganassi.. But.. It's slim pickins'

Roush, they might get from a performance standpoint.. but I don't think Roush's loyalty to Ford would allow him to leave for greener pastures. So, that basically leaves Ganassi, unless they pull a satellite team by telling them they'll be #1.. Like a Front Row Motorsports, or Germaine, or JTG Daugherty.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:31 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,225,826 times
Ordered my Daytona Tix yesterday. Same seats as last year which i was very happy with.. I didn't go to any races after Daytona last year.. typically i go to Atlanta and both Talledega's but just got too busy.. Feb is a nice time because nothing else is going on.. at least for me.. this will be my sons 5th Daytona in a row.. I am hoping the 500 can be something he shares with his son (and me) one day. I have 3 tix reserved in case that ever come to fruition.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:51 PM
PDD

I just ordered my tickets for the All Star race in May. 400-500-600 mile races are too long to sit in the stands.
I like the idea of old school no speed limit pit stop qualifying.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,721,457 times
Now presenting the "Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series."

Old 12-19-2016, 05:28 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,962,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Now presenting the "Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series."

Sounds like Monster got a sweet deal:

New name announced for NASCAR's Premier Series | FOX Sports

Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Seems like a good deal for NASCAR, won't have any effect on existing fans but maybe bring in new fans who are familiar with Monster events.
Al long as they don't put any jump ramps on the track I am sure the racing will still be good.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:33 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Wonder how/if this affects the All Star Race.

No doubt a name change, but.. Will they be the impetus to move it from track to track?

I've been squarely against that.. Mainly because it's tradition at Charlotte (and I'm relatively close).. But.. They've been so bad the past 5-10 years.. Maybe it's time to switch it up.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:03 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wonder how/if this affects the All Star Race.

No doubt a name change, but.. Will they be the impetus to move it from track to track?

I've been squarely against that.. Mainly because it's tradition at Charlotte (and I'm relatively close).. But.. They've been so bad the past 5-10 years.. Maybe it's time to switch it up.
IMO Charlotte is the best place to watch a race so why change?

As far as the outcome, NASCAR is doing it's best to determine the winner but the drivers have more to say about that than Brian France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing