U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,524,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree. Should also be a night race. Who wants to bake in the Las Vegas sun?
The same people who are going to bake in Phoenix next weekend. Forecast temp is 95 degrees. Both races are usually sold out, although I for one would prefer if both were night races that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
While ordinarily this would be a great idea................NASCAR is desperately trying to figure out what to do with the very large elephant in the room.......dwindling fans.

Making changes to appease or should we say draw the milleinials to the track and to make socializing at the track easier shows just how big a problem they have.

Why start designing exhaust systems along with a rules package that set weight, bends, diameters and other nonsense because of the shrinking fan base.

NASCAR has got millions of dollars at their disposal. They need to start determining the demographics and numbers of people attending races currently "which they should already have this data" and proceed to come up with a legitimate game plan to stop the bleeding.

I work in manufacturing in the south and as I have said before, with every fresh batch of apprentices I have had since the late 90's their interest has gone to about zero with this last class. Even the mid fifties guys like me have all but given up talking about racing. We had quite a few that traveled to several races a year, now they occasionally catch it on TV.

Is it the younger guys could care less and us older guys can't transition to the new rules and much younger racers?

My two cents
What they need to do is totally revamp the experience and maybe add a big gaming section that allows fans to race along via video games, and maybe have a video gamer win the race. Along with that they need to revamp the food and drink options, add craft beers,craft coffee drinks and bring in Whole Foods as the only food vendor serving vegan options and whatever other "hipster" foods are currently trending, maybe soba noodles bowls?
As for the tracks, well, they need to have a large lounge area where people can quietly use their social media and texting while enjoying their soy latte,maybe offer "selfie rides" around the track?
One last thing, they need to switch over to hybrid cars or fully electric as we all know that these races cause global warming! We won't even get into the issue of noise pollution and light pollution for those night races...

Now for my real opinion. They've over gentrified the racing scene. It needs to go back to the bare knuckle, run what you brung bash fest that it used to be, as in STOCK CARS not the "toss the keys in a hat and choose one of the exact same cars" racing that it is now with the "pat on the back for being first for 60 laps" segment nonsense.

I want to see a more realistic Camaro,Mustang,Camry or Charger out on the track like years ago, let NASCAR try to catch any cheating or shaving of the rules thereby letting the smartest/craftiest crew chief and best driver win the race.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:59 AM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I'm a Kyle fan, and that wasn't really Logano's fault (but glad he at least had somewhat of a punch to his face)...I kinda blame Brad on this one. He was losing power and stayed up high knowing he was in Kyle's racing line and was setting a pick for his teammate. The 22 stayed close to the 2 trying to keep Kyle behind Brad, but Shrubby came down and got into Joey, then Logano hit the apron and came up into the 18 spinning him out. The Penske drivers are both punks and hopefully Joey gets more than a slight graze to the face next time. NASCAR is probably pretty happy with all of this though, Kyle literally took one for the sport.
i disagree with your assessment.

1: keselowski had no place to go. if you watch the video there was a car under him, and there were others that passed him as well on the low side.

2: busch had two options when he came up on brad, one was to do what he did, force logano down by banging on him, or hit the brakes and slow down before coming up on brad, because you know that his spotter was telling him that brad was in the top lane and slowing.

3: logano drove deep into the corner and got loose and into busch, and busch, who likes o drive a loose race car to begin with, lost it, and then got upset.

Kyle Busch, Joey Logano fight surprises Waltrip, Gordon - - NetZero

Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
^^I agree except that Busch had 1 choice on the last lap and that was what he did. Logano tried to use Brad as a pick and Kyle was having none of it. So Logano over drove the next corner and took out Kyle. All of it is just racing on the last lap. You let it all hang out and hope it works. As soon as it happened I knew Kyle would go looking for a knucklesamish, it was pretty obvious. I was surprised the Fox camera's didn't stick closer to him. We kinda missed the fun part.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,517,376 times
Many fans like to bash Kyle Bush but Kyle Bush is not the first driver that Logano has " rubbed the wrong way "

Matt Kenseth comes to mind and Matt Kenseth seems to get along with other drivers.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
logano races hard, one reason i like him. and i like kyle busch as well, but in this case, busch was wrong to do what he did, since he created the issue in the first place. granted both were racing hard to finish as high as possible, and both did what they needed to do to accomplish that. however the fact that logano got loose in the corner and fought to catch the car, and tapped busch in a racing incident means just that, it was a racing incident. it could have happened the other way given a different set of circumstances.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:48 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times
I get the feeling that Kyle simply doesn't like any one other than himself RACING HARD. He prefers that they simply get out of his way.. I like Kyle a lot and do not mind him being upset but geez.. don't ***** about someone doing exactly the SAME THING you would do and have done and will continue to do...

Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I get the feeling that Kyle simply doesn't like any one other than himself RACING HARD. He prefers that they simply get out of his way.. I like Kyle a lot and do not mind him being upset but geez.. don't ***** about someone doing exactly the SAME THING you would do and have done and will continue to do...
But that's Kyle, it's ALWAYS someone else or something else, never ever him...

Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,517,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I disagree about Kyle.

Many times he has raced cars near the finish w/o wrecking them and has gotten compliments from other drivers for doing so.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I disagree about Kyle.

Many times he has raced cars near the finish w/o wrecking them and has gotten compliments from other drivers for doing so.
Because it so RARE not "many" as you say... Nobody compliments someone for doing something one usually does, only when it's in direct contradiction to ones historical behavior...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing