U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times

Advertisements

Saw Pete Hamilton passed. Sad.

Doesn't get the respect he deserves I don't think because most of his wins were in Petty cars.. Specifically the Superbird which.. Yeah, was tough to beat, but..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,576,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
larson already HAS his first win, at the 2016 pure michgan 400;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_L...rgy_Cup_Series
Thanks for updating me on that. Glad to see the kid win again though yesterday. Had a great race car.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,576,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Saw Pete Hamilton passed. Sad.

Doesn't get the respect he deserves I don't think because most of his wins were in Petty cars.. Specifically the Superbird which.. Yeah, was tough to beat, but..
Also 2 time USAC Silver champion and Sprint car driver David Steele was killed in a race in Florida over the weekend.

Steele also drove some in Indy and lower tier NASCAR.

Most importantly he left behind a wife and 3 children, he was 42. RIP.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM

32,453 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Thanks for updating me on that. Glad to see the kid win again though yesterday. Had a great race car.
yep, the kid has the skills to make it big in this sport for sure. i just hope that chase elliot starts winning as well and creates a friendly rivalry between these two. i was kind of expecting truex to win the race as dominant as his car was during the race.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,145 times
Good for Larson! You could tell from post-race that he's a bit tired of 'can't close, etc'.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
It's good to see they are letting Larson come into his own. Teams seem to expect rookies to win right out of the box.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's good to see they are letting Larson come into his own. Teams seem to expect rookies to win right out of the box.
I think teams expect that they CAN win out of the box now.. Not necessarily that they have to.

I'm sure if Suarez or Jones goes winless this year.. Gibbs/FRR won't be freaking out.. So long as they're not destroying cars every other race and there's some potential seen there. and I think we've already seen that.. Neither had a great Daytona, but outside of that.. Jones has been top-15 in every race while Suarez was slightly worse with a 20th and 21st place in races 2 and 3, but followed up by 2 7th place finishes

Even Gordon in 1993.. He had a horrible year. Tore up a bunch of cars.. But.. When he didn't.. He was turning out top 5's and top 10's.. So, you look at that.. You can generally learn not to wreck.. hard to learn how to run up front.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:12 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,307,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think teams expect that they CAN win out of the box now.. Not necessarily that they have to.

I'm sure if Suarez or Jones goes winless this year.. Gibbs/FRR won't be freaking out.. So long as they're not destroying cars every other race and there's some potential seen there. and I think we've already seen that.. Neither had a great Daytona, but outside of that.. Jones has been top-15 in every race while Suarez was slightly worse with a 20th and 21st place in races 2 and 3, but followed up by 2 7th place finishes

Even Gordon in 1993.. He had a horrible year. Tore up a bunch of cars.. But.. When he didn't.. He was turning out top 5's and top 10's.. So, you look at that.. You can generally learn not to wreck.. hard to learn how to run up front.
That was the thing though, people forgot JG had a horrible, normal first season. All they remember was how he was winning and winning a lot. I think teams and sponsors expected the same result from their young talent. Perhaps they have all moved past that.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,521,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That was the thing though, people forgot JG had a horrible, normal first season. All they remember was how he was winning and winning a lot. I think teams and sponsors expected the same result from their young talent. Perhaps they have all moved past that.
Danica Patrick's sponsors aren't concerned with minor issues like winning or finishing in the top 10.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Danica Patrick's sponsors aren't concerned with minor issues like winning or finishing in the top 10.
The sponsors involved in the lawsuits or other ones?

I get what you're saying, tho.. Same thing with Junior for that matter. They're not paying for him to win races (though I'm sure they're happier when he is).. They're paying for his name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing