U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,524,455 times
Reputation: 15493

Advertisements

Dale Jr to retire at the end of the season. I had figured and said I thought this would happen given how serious his concussion was last year and that he's not doing all that well this year. Given what happened to his dad and then his injuries along with the fact he's now looking at starting a family I figured all of that had an impact on his confidence and willingness to take chances required to win.
I'm glad to see him step away and move on to the next phase of his life before he's permanently damaged or killed.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire following 2017 season | NASCAR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Reputation: 4514
Yeah gotta feel badly for the fans that had tickets to Bristol. I'm sure most had to leave Sunday. It was a good race. Two grooves definitely makes for interesting racing. JJ and the 48 team are something else. Can't keep them down for long.


Wow, so Jr is hanging it up! I guess we could see this happening but still a shock. There's going to a lot of turn-over soon. Lots of late-30s+, 40s, drivers will be retiring. I'm not sure the sport is going to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,923,235 times
Reputation: 3305
Default Link to watch 3:00pm Tuesday Press Conference

Link to watch 3:00pm Tuesday Press Conference

4/25/2017

Hendrick Motorsports driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. announced via a team press release Tuesday that he would retire following the 2017 season.

Earnhardt Jr. and team owner Rick Hendrick will have a joint a press conference at 3 p.m. ET to discuss the driver's decision. NASCAR.com will live stream the press conference.

Stay tuned to NASCAR.com for complete Earnhardt Jr. coverage, and bookmark this link for the live stream at 3 p.m. ET: Press Pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 23,476,528 times
Reputation: 5488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah gotta feel badly for the fans that had tickets to Bristol. I'm sure most had to leave Sunday. It was a good race.
Yeah, I felt bad for them too, I noticed a lot of campers/motorhomes heading out Sunday (after the announcement that the race was cancelled) and even more heading out on Monday morning before the race... as luck would have it, sunny and 90 in Bristol this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday.

Luckily no one was in for the race on Thursday (yesterday) as a severe thunderstorm hit in Bristol (as well as at the track) with hail stones - some as large as nickels. Crazy weather. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 09:58 AM
 
4,315 posts, read 2,517,376 times
Reputation: 7686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, I felt bad for them too, I noticed a lot of campers/motorhomes heading out Sunday (after the announcement that the race was cancelled) and even more heading out on Monday morning before the race... as luck would have it, sunny and 90 in Bristol this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday.

Luckily no one was in for the race on Thursday (yesterday) as a severe thunderstorm hit in Bristol (as well as at the track) with hail stones - some as large as nickels. Crazy weather. lol.
In 2011 the wife and I were at a timeshare in Gatlinburg and decided to drive up to Bristol to see the place. Paid for the tour and got driven around on the race track.


The guide advised us 2 couples in the van that if we attended a race to avoid the early season one due to the weather history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM
 
9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Reputation: 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
In 2011 the wife and I were at a timeshare in Gatlinburg and decided to drive up to Bristol to see the place. Paid for the tour and got driven around on the race track.


The guide advised us 2 couples in the van that if we attended a race to avoid the early season one due to the weather history.
If you had gone before that, they'd have told you "Forget about the night race" because you couldn't get tickets to it.

I might enjoy trying Bristol again, since the racing (in my eyes) is a whole lot better than when I went in the early 2000's. Back then it was the single lane groove and the whole thing was a bad experience. Mainly with how they packed people in.

But.. Note.. Saw today that John Andretti is battling stage 4 colon cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Amelia Island
2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
Reputation: 3088
Kind of quiet after the race in here...............watched the race on and off due needing to get some things done around the house.

Noticed with about ninety laps to go the announcers shut right down and they preceded to use just about every single active camera they had available for about ten laps.

I mean multiple cars rotating the cameras, at the wall, on the track itself. Kind of weird, just bouncing around to different cars and in the bottom left corner of the screen a logo referring to the sound of power.

Tuned in to watch Logano cross the finish line. Looked for some high lights and not much written.

Stands looked bad, lots of empty seats. If I were France I would get Gordon, Dale Jr, Stewart, Petty and a few others and sit them and listen to what they say about righting the NASCAR ship into the future.

Sad about John Andretti, I always thought he was at the cusp of breaking through. Gotta love his courage, hopefully he will beat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Reputation: 4514
I watched the first part and the finish, went for a ride in the middle section. The stands were basically empty. It would be generous to say half full I think. Somehow Fox was in low def for the entire race here. Super annoying as it looked awful. Really liked the old Winston strips they put back on the walls. It really does make the cars look faster. Only saw the highlight of the 48 body slamming the 88. What in the world was JJ thinking? That looked really odd. Jr continues to have some crazy bad luck - not that his car was any good.

Bummer about Andretti, seems like a good guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,524,455 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I watched the first part and the finish, went for a ride in the middle section. The stands were basically empty. It would be generous to say half full I think. Somehow Fox was in low def for the entire race here. Super annoying as it looked awful. Really liked the old Winston strips they put back on the walls. It really does make the cars look faster. Only saw the highlight of the 48 body slamming the 88. What in the world was JJ thinking? That looked really odd. Jr continues to have some crazy bad luck - not that his car was any good.

Bummer about Andretti, seems like a good guy.
Jimmie most likely didn't know Dale was there. Dale slowed unexpectedly as Jimmie slid up the track. Totally an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 AM
 
32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Reputation: 19035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Jimmie most likely didn't know Dale was there. Dale slowed unexpectedly as Jimmie slid up the track. Totally an accident.

this. JJ said he never saw jr, and never got the word from his spotters about jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top