U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,730 times

Advertisements

Really enjoy the road courses. The drivers have gotten a lot better on them over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:44 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
The FOX coverage has ended for the season.

I was pleased with it and thought Jeff Gordon was a great addition.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM

779 posts, read 520,101 times
Can somebody explain to me why.........NASCAR has two TV deals ? It makes no sense to me.

On a slightly different angle.... I would have loved to hear the behind the closed door conversation between Danica and her "very close friend " after the latest crash. Why do sponsors continue to back drivers that finish so far back that they can't be seen when the checkered flag waves ?

Not just number 10, but some of the back of the track guys who finish 30th or worse week after week. I can understand a newbie not being a front runner, but with more than 5 years in the top oval track series... and never in the top 10 ? Number 95, looking at you....

Jim B.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,924,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Can somebody explain to me why.........NASCAR has two TV deals ? It makes no sense to me.

On a slightly different angle.... I would have loved to hear the behind the closed door conversation between Danica and her "very close friend " after the latest crash. Why do sponsors continue to back drivers that finish so far back that they can't be seen when the checkered flag waves ?

Not just number 10, but some of the back of the track guys who finish 30th or worse week after week. I can understand a newbie not being a front runner, but with more than 5 years in the top oval track series... and never in the top 10 ? Number 95, looking at you....

Jim B.
More $$$ for NASACR

38 cars in that race.............some have to finish in the back.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:43 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
More $$$ for NASACR

38 cars in that race.............some have to finish in the back.
You missed the part about.........."week after week".....

I believe he was referring to the same drivers.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:07 PM

32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Quote:

Jim B.
tv contracts can be contentious issues between networks. tv contracts can also get very expensive, and with three divisions to cover, it makes sense for fox to buy some events and someone else to buy the other events. saves the networks money, and gives coverage to all the events.

as for the other question, remember that nascar fans tend to be very loyal to sponsors, even on back marker cars. and these sponsors put up money to be on the car, its advertising you know. but it also buys access to nascar drivers, and these drivers make personal appearances for the sponsor all year long.

the back marker cars deals are less than that of say kevin harvick or kyle busch since they run up front most of the time. where harvicks team might get a sponsorship of say $25 million for the season, a back marker like say jj yeley would get closer to $10-12 million for the season. either way the sponsor gets personal appearances, a show car at the event in question, the driver making a commercial or several, etc.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,924,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You missed the part about.........."week after week".....

I believe he was referring to the same drivers.
I think NASCAR wants a large field of contestants and pays well for the usual last 10 or 12 cars to show up. So it is a form of income for them in an interesting area.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 PM

6,559 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
tv contracts can be contentious issues between networks. tv contracts can also get very expensive, and with three divisions to cover, it makes sense for fox to buy some events and someone else to buy the other events. saves the networks money, and gives coverage to all the events.

as for the other question, remember that nascar fans tend to be very loyal to sponsors, even on back marker cars. and these sponsors put up money to be on the car, its advertising you know. but it also buys access to nascar drivers, and these drivers make personal appearances for the sponsor all year long.

the back marker cars deals are less than that of say kevin harvick or kyle busch since they run up front most of the time. where harvicks team might get a sponsorship of say $25 million for the season, a back marker like say jj yeley would get closer to $10-12 million for the season. either way the sponsor gets personal appearances, a show car at the event in question, the driver making a commercial or several, etc.
Speaking of TV deals - I don't think the next batch will be nearly as lucrative as past ones have been due in large part to all the bloodletting in cable/network TV. I really don't think they'll overpay for NASCAR again (because thanks to cord-cutting they can't afford to). The track owners have turned a blind eye to dwindling gate receipts because their bottom line is being propped up by the TV money. If that dries up I'm betting you'll see a shift to pay-per-view and a serious contraction of the schedule.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,730 times
They definitely won't get the same kind of deal, that's for sure, but some network will take a flyer at a discounted rate. Maybe a cable network instead of the big 4. PPV would kill nascar.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Quote:
<>Jim B.
The split season probably relates to NBC and Fox contracts with other sports so that there is a calendar consideration for when air time is available.

As for the crowd that makes up the field but has no hope of winning, there are some people with money who just enjoy racing for the fun of it and they are able to field a car with their own money and enjoy it.
Some drivers are able to bring a sponsor or money with them and get to race at the top level of NASCAR, Indy, or Formula One, just because they are good enough to stay within 125% of the leaders lap times and have a lot of fun doing it. I think most of the field of the sports racing road racers are like that.
There are sponsors who are checking things out and can't afford, or don't want to spend, for a big name.

BTW, until the crashes, Danica was running well, I think in the lead pack up to 6th place?
"It's a good thing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing