U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 AM

781 posts, read 532,236 times

Advertisements

I know that this is not ever going to happen... but a time trial qualifier that has a 24 car limit, would cut the back markers, leaving a competitive race group. That would encourage the back markers to make the cut or race in another lower series. As it is now, the 42 car field is a way to fill the starting line up , nothing more. Anybody remember the "run five laps and park it " guys ?

While we are at it.... Why are NASCAR regulars allowed to also race in the lower series ? Seems to me that is a way to discourage the youngsters and pad the wallets of the "big guys '.

It would be like having Kenny Wallace come into the local half mile track that is 30 miles from my house, and blow the local guys off the track. That happened a few years ago. I know that he is no longer a big name, but it was a sore spot with a lot of the local drivers here . He flew in and out again in a private plane. He was paid more( to show up ) than the prize money that was awarded to the rest of the 4 class program that raced that night. Yes the stands were full but the promoter heard a lot of complaints for the rest of the season about that stunt.

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:14 AM

668 posts, read 469,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
I know that this is not ever going to happen... but a time trial qualifier that has a 24 car limit, would cut the back markers, leaving a competitive race group. That would encourage the back markers to make the cut or race in another lower series. As it is now, the 42 car field is a way to fill the starting line up , nothing more. Anybody remember the "run five laps and park it " guys ?

While we are at it.... Why are NASCAR regulars allowed to also race in the lower series ? Seems to me that is a way to discourage the youngsters and pad the wallets of the "big guys '.

It would be like having Kenny Wallace come into the local half mile track that is 30 miles from my house, and blow the local guys off the track. That happened a few years ago. I know that he is no longer a big name, but it was a sore spot with a lot of the local drivers here . He flew in and out again in a private plane. He was paid more( to show up ) than the prize money that was awarded to the rest of the 4 class program that raced that night. Yes the stands were full but the promoter heard a lot of complaints for the rest of the season about that stunt.

Jim B.
Because those are the only races that Kyle Busch can win anymore.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM

32,077 posts, read 13,115,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The FOX coverage has ended for the season.

I was pleased with it and thought Jeff Gordon was a great addition.
Agree. Don't like Steve LaTartes voice..ugh.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:58 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,545,570 times
Joy in Junior Nation !

JR has the pole position.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:02 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,223,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Agree. Don't like Steve LaTartes voice..ugh.
Id much rather listen to LeTarte than DW any day!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:05 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,223,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The FOX coverage has ended for the season.

I was pleased with it and thought Jeff Gordon was a great addition.
You know he was there last year too, tight?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,865,537 times
WOW!!! I just tuned in to tonight's race, I've never seen so many empty seats. Pretty hard to ignore. Other than the 500, this is the second race I've watched this season, how has attendance been at other races? Do you think the new format has helped? I guess I'm old school, you race to win, no teams, no stage winners, just top three.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 10,326,845 times
Watched all of tonight's race. It's maybe the third or fourth one I've watched flag to flag this year. I still think the stage racing is asinine. Stenhouse survived a race that was filled with aggressive driving and wrecks. I'll tune in again for the Bristol night race. Until then I'll catch highlights online.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:34 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,194,799 times
Yes it's been empty seats each race. I watched the end and a bit of the start - NBC is horrible. Sooo many commercials, good grief. They kept saying 'sprint cup' and even had a graphic up saying it. The new sponsor cannot be pleased. Typical Daytona, the first stage of the tour de france, a TT no less, was more interesting.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM

32,546 posts, read 26,473,445 times
so ricky stenhouse wins his second race of the season, and does it in style, and yet all anyone can talk about is ho many empty seats were in the stands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing