U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,861,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
NASCAR could be headed back to scope and size of what it was in the '70s and beginning of the '80's. Then try to find a race on TV.
I'd rather see fewer really exciting races than a lot of mediocre ones. I still say, I'd love to see a limited NASCAR legacy series, i.e. good old American stock cars (pre CoT), and drag out some of the retired drivers like Spencer, Labonte, Wallace, Martin, Burton, (too soon for Gordon and Stewart?). Hell, even throw Daryl in a car with a microphone and go for a ride with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:36 PM

6,573 posts, read 10,302,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I'd rather see fewer really exciting races than a lot of mediocre ones. I still say, I'd love to see a limited NASCAR legacy series, i.e. good old American stock cars (pre CoT), and drag out some of the retired drivers like Spencer, Labonte, Wallace, Martin, Burton, (too soon for Gordon and Stewart?). Hell, even throw Daryl in a car with a microphone and go for a ride with him.
They had an old-timers race at Bristol a few years ago and Larry Pearson and Charlie Glotzbach both got seriously hurt in a crash.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 AM

3,045 posts, read 2,211,371 times
Erik Jones steps into the 20 car next year. Where does Kesenth go?
I think Hendrick.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Erik Jones steps into the 20 car next year. Where does Kesenth go?
I think Hendrick.
As much as I like Matt I think his productive days are behind him. Hendrick would be better off taking a flier on William Byron.

I'd love to see Bubba Wallace get a shot in the second Furniture Row car.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
As much as I like Matt I think his productive days are behind him. Hendrick would be better off taking a flier on William Byron.

I'd love to see Bubba Wallace get a shot in the second Furniture Row car.
True, but I see him in the 5, Alex Bowman in the 88. I would love to see Bubba get a good ride!! I think Byron is still too young for Cup. Another year or 2, maybe.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:24 AM

On a sad note, Margaret Jean Waltrip passed away.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,930,804 times
LOUDON, New Hampshire Ė After appearing to bounce back from a penalty, Kyle Larsonís team ran afoul of the law again Friday.

Larson turned the fastest lap (133.324 mph) in qualifying at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, but the speed was disallowed afterward for an unapproved rear deck fin on his No. 42 Chevrolet.

That put Martin Truex Jr., who won at Kentucky Speedway last weekend, on the pole position for the first time in 2017.

NASCAR announced Larsonís disqualification at 6:50 ET, roughly 45 minutes after he seemed to have captured his fourth pole position of the season.

Larson will start 39th.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 AM

9,442 posts, read 7,123,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
True, but I see him in the 5, Alex Bowman in the 88. I would love to see Bubba get a good ride!! I think Byron is still too young for Cup. Another year or 2, maybe.
I'm not positive that the 5 car runs full time next year. They're looking for sponsorship for it and the 88. The 88, without question, is the 'premier' ride right now at Hendrick (Of the two available). Whether it will be the 88.. I don't know.. I could certainly see Hendrick moving it back to the 25.. But.. Then again, the 5 is the 'flagship' car at Hendrick.. So.. The 88 could be the one to go away (Number, not the team).. I don't see Kahne staying.

Stewart-Haas is likely shedding a team. I don't see Danica driving next year period.

The second Furniture Row team.. They can keep 5 Hour Energy, but Kenseth isn't exactly their target demo.. Nor is Kahne for that matter.

The 20 move was made, no doubt, to attract a sponsor..

You're going to see something of a purge. Would Kenseth take a ride with BK Racing? If so.. He's an upgrade over anything they've got now.

Word is that Menard wants to go to the Wood Brothers.. I suppose that means Ryan Blaney would go to Roush.. Where? With what sponsor?

Petty wants a second team for Bubba Wallace.. This one I hope happens.. But, sponsorship..

There aren't 40 cars in the field for most races now. It wouldn't surprise me if there were problems getting 35 next year.

BTW.. The Kyle Busch watch.. With today's win.. He stands at 175 wins across all three series. No question he catches Petty's 200.. Yes, agreed, it's not the same, but.. Still impressive. He says he's retiring from Xfinity at 100 wins. Currently at 89.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:03 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,190,549 times
I can't see Kenseth driving next year. Gotta think he'll not get a top ride and call it. He's past his prime racing at this point and doesn't offer much to a team.

Hopefully Wallace gets a ride but as you say, who's going to pay?

Danica has had some rotten luck this year. I imagine she's probably done.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Danica has had some rotten luck this year. I imagine she's probably done.
Sure she's had some bad luck this year, but let's be realistic. She's been driving stock cars for almost 7 years and other than a single Top 5 and a Top 10 points finish (both in the watered-down Xfinity Series) she hasn't shown much growth. Statistically she was a middle-of-the-pack racer in IndyCar, and she's a middle-of-the-pack racer in NASCAR. I keep hoping that a truly talented female racer will come up and start winning races so we can forget about Danica. She's extremely overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing