U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,926,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Oh I agree, but she has run up front at times and been taken out by whatever, which happens to everyone. I'm not arguing that Danica is a front runner, she's not, but she's no worse than the guys riding around her and better than a fair few.

As to the stick and ball sports, that's a useless argument. Women could never compete on those fields with men, however women can drive Cup as well as any man given the opportunity. There is no doubt about that.
Would mind naming one who has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:49 AM

32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Would mind naming one who has?
janet guthrie did pretty well in cup cars, for the amount of time she had in them. she spent most of her time though in indycars.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
janet guthrie did pretty well in cup cars, for the amount of time she had in them. she spent most of her time though in indycars.
I was thinking about Louise Smith as well. Mainly because she's buried only a few miles from here.. But.. While she was an excellent driver.. She didn't do GREAT in cup. She averaged finishing 20th or so, but, remember that was in the era when fields would hit 70 at times.

Her best finish was 16th at Langhorne in Pennsylvania.. But.. The greatest story is how she and her husband went to watch a race and she took the family car and entered it and ran.. And then wrecked it.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I was thinking about Louise Smith as well. Mainly because she's buried only a few miles from here.. But.. While she was an excellent driver.. She didn't do GREAT in cup. She averaged finishing 20th or so, but, remember that was in the era when fields would hit 70 at times.

Her best finish was 16th at Langhorne in Pennsylvania.. But.. The greatest story is how she and her husband went to watch a race and she took the family car and entered it and ran.. And then wrecked it.
i didnt remember louise smith, but there have been a few women in arca racing that have done reasonably well, cant think of any off hand though.

i think the problem right now is that it is a mans sport, and that women dont really get the credit they deserve, even danica. in drag racing you see women all over the place doing well. i think with cup being more rough and tumble, most women cant handle the pressure.

another series that women have do fairly well in was the kelly cup challenge. patty moise and lyn st james usually ran towards the front, and in IMSA racing lyn st james was very competitive, won a few races for jack rousch as i recall.

in the end however i think that women are going to have to get into cup racing if the sport is going to start growing again. i also think they need to change the qualifying rules and not give 35 teams an automatic berth in every race.perhaps nascar could start doing qualifying races like they do at eldora. 8 qualifying races over the course of two days, the top five in each race qualifying for the sunday race, the 8th race being a last chance effort for the non qualifiers in the previous seven races, and NO provisional spots.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,934 times
My key point was 'given the opportunity'. Women aren't given that much in motor sports, with the exception of drag racing. The main point that women can do as well, Danica alone proves the point. Janet Guthrie more than proved that point. But as long as it's an old boys network women won't be racing much. F1 showed that ugly side not too long ago. Anyway, you try being the only woman in a sport and see what that pressure is like. The unwarranted insults because of gender and mean spiritedness alone would keep 99% of the population from even trying. Danica and Guthrie before her, handled this beyond well.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yep.. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle.. but there's still lots of other pieces waiting to fall.

What happens with the 77?
Where does Kenseth go?
Does Bubba Wallace get a ride in Cup, Xfinity or Trucks?
What happens with Kahne and the 5 team?
What happens with the #10 team?
What happens with the free agents of Almirola, Kurt Busch, Keselowski, McMurray and Menard? (I think all resign where they are, other than Menard.)

What about drivers that are out of the series this year? That list includes Biffle, Gilliland, Bobby Labonte and Casey Mears.. All short of Mears, I think you basically have to say are retired.

What happens with Edwards? I figure he stays retired.
I think Edwards, Biffle, and Kenseth are done. But I guess Matt catch a lower ride. He can still drive.

Can't see Hendrick dumping the 5 car but Kahne, yeah, he might need to go. If Hendrick were smart he'd keep it at the 48/24/88 and have less sponsorship worries, especially given the current viewership.

Didn't know Keselowski was a free agent coming up. Now that guy will be getting offers from everyone. He's good all around and great on TV.

All this might be for nothing. Those empty stands at the last race was sobering. Ship be sinking.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,926,070 times
Quote:
My key point was 'given the opportunity'. Women aren't given that much in motor sports, with the exception of drag racing. The main point that women can do as well, Danica alone proves the point. Janet Guthrie more than proved that point. But as long as it's an old boys network women won't be racing much. F1 showed that ugly side not too long ago. Anyway, you try being the only woman in a sport and see what that pressure is like. The unwarranted insults because of gender and mean spiritedness alone would keep 99% of the population from even trying. Danica and Guthrie before her, handled this beyond well.
With ex-champions like Matt Kenseth being sidelined how do you expect women to get any better rides then Danica has with SHR? It is nice to make broad statements in support of women but history shows that no woman has ever done as well as the male champions in NASCAR. Actually it is somewhat of a silly comparison.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Can certainly parse the language of success but she's not finished last every race or in points. She's as good as any man ~20th in points. That shows a level of success. Again, given a real opportunity women would do fine in motorsports. It's simply not a gender specific deal. Not the modern cars with power everything and computer controls. But we can agree to disagree here.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
With ex-champions like Matt Kenseth being sidelined how do you expect women to get any better rides then Danica has with SHR? It is nice to make broad statements in support of women but history shows that no woman has ever done as well as the male champions in NASCAR. Actually it is somewhat of a silly comparison.
i agree with jonasw, women have been getting the short end of the stick in racing for years. shirley muldowny set the bar, and stood up to the men and forced them to accept her at the top of the sport. and she did it on and off the track.

guthrie tried that and got slapped down because she, like danica, was not tough enough to make the guys respect them. i keep hoping that a woman will come along in nascar that is tough enough to make the guys respect her, and that will open up seats for women in nascar.

i had hopes that patty moise was such a woman, but she didnt have what it took. i think lyn st james would have been the one to open up nascar for women, but she went to IMSA racing instead.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,542,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with jonasw, women have been getting the short end of the stick in racing for years. shirley muldowny set the bar, and stood up to the men and forced them to accept her at the top of the sport. and she did it on and off the track.

guthrie tried that and got slapped down because she, like danica, was not tough enough to make the guys respect them. i keep hoping that a woman will come along in nascar that is tough enough to make the guys respect her, and that will open up seats for women in nascar.

i had hopes that patty moise was such a woman, but she didnt have what it took. i think lyn st james would have been the one to open up nascar for women, but she went to IMSA racing instead.
For a woman to make it in NASCAR like Cha-cha Muldowny did in NHRA you not only have to be tough both on and off the track but you have to WIN. They couldn't ignore her after she started repeatedly kicking their butts in qualifiers and then winning events.

Danica has been finishing better and better as of late which is good but a win (or two) or constantly placing in the top 10 would rocket her up to the elite level. She's GOT to find a way to stop being a target that others always seem to hit, taking her out of the race.
She's left more races for things not of her own doing than anyone I've ever seen, it's almost like someone or something is targeting her saying "oh no you don't missy"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing