U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,855,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Jeff Burton on NBC has been disappointing.

I expected much more of the "mayor" of NASCAR. Always liked him.

But he talks too long and too fast as an announcer. Actually in today's world the announcers all talk too much.

Baseball too......jerky announcers are ruining some of the games.
Better than listening to his brother Ward- LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 AM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Better than listening to his brother Ward- LOL
I actually enjoyed Waaaaaaahd Burton's ascent in small doses. The Sadler brothers have the same one, and Hermie's is almost as thick as Ward's.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,855,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I actually enjoyed Waaaaaaahd Burton's ascent in small doses. The Sadler brothers have the same one, and Hermie's is almost as thick as Ward's.
I actually loved Ward, just a good ol boy, and no nonsense old school driver, probably why he isn't driving for a team because he doesn't fit the mold.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:22 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,145 times
And is about 55. haha

Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
I actually loved Ward, just a good ol boy, and no nonsense old school driver, probably why he isn't driving for a team because he doesn't fit the mold.
Jeff always said Ward talked like that because he had the bedroom on the south end of the house.

Anywho.. Interesting piece of news today.. Gibbs suspended 2 members of the #78 pit crew. Gibbs provides the pit crew for FRR.. I didn't catch what happened, and what I'm reading.. They really didn't do anything but tell the #18 Crew Chief to get out of their pits. Certainly doesn't seem something worth suspending someone over.

Anyone heard more to the story than I have?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:13 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,925,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Jeff always said Ward talked like that because he had the bedroom on the south end of the house.

Anywho.. Interesting piece of news today.. Gibbs suspended 2 members of the #78 pit crew. Gibbs provides the pit crew for FRR.. I didn't catch what happened, and what I'm reading.. They really didn't do anything but tell the #18 Crew Chief to get out of their pits. Certainly doesn't seem something worth suspending someone over.

Anyone heard more to the story than I have?
Here is the story and a video.

Two members of Truex’s crew suspended 3 races by Joe Gibbs Racing | NASCAR Talk

Old 07-27-2017, 02:31 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I got no audio here.. You got a brief synopsis? Is it more than finger pointing and heated words?

Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,228,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I got no audio here.. You got a brief synopsis? Is it more than finger pointing and heated words?
The only thing I can figure is that since they are all technically JGR employees, maybe Joe felt the one guy disrespected the crew chief by clapping at him as he was walking by and the second guy by getting into the crew chief's face.

It's like employees ganging up on a manager.

I don't like the thought of two suspensions versus nothing (the CC did go into the 78 pit and start jawing), but it's the JGR circus and they are JGR's monkeys.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,719,851 times
If you can't beat 'em, suspend 'em.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 PM

32,460 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Quote:
Fair enough, you could be right, but we'd agree NASCAR is losing it's luster of the 80's and 90's. They keep trying different things like this stage racing, it doesn't add to the race. If I go to a local track, it's pretty straight forward, get to the front and cross the finish line, it's exciting to watch. Small local tracks don't have room for "filler" cars to keep a team on the track, and they don't have room for guys that would never win, everyone has a shot, everyone is racing for a win.
i dont mind stage racing, it makes for competition through out the race with everyone trying to get stage points for the end of the season. the thing i dislike is the way nascar does qualifying these days. in the old days if you didnt qualify, you didnt make the race, even if you were a top talent. these days 35 teams are guaranteed to make the race. perhaps they need to go to a qualifying system like they use on many dirt tracks around the country.

you have a number of qualifying races, and the top five transfer to the main race. with nascar they can do the qualifying races on thursday and friday with the race on sunday. you want forty car in the field? you have eight qualifying races, the last one being a last chance race for everyone that didnt make the cut earlier. and even if you are jimmy johnson, or kevin harvick, or dainca patrick, if you dont qualify, you dont race on sunday. right now there is little pressure on the drivers to make the race because of this franchie nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing