U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 09:02 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
My interest is down to just the road courses now which were always my favorite.

As I mentioned before in another post I am in the south in the metal trades and over the 28 years in which I receive a handful of apprentices each year I am finding since the popularity of the late 80's and early 90's there is currently no interest in NASCAR. Being one of the handful of old guys left I find no one talks about the races anymore.

In the early nineties there were NASCAR pools, lots of people wearing NASCAR gear and come Monday talk was about the race.

My apprentices live for college football, NASCAR has their work cut out for them in the coming years. Not sure if stage racing is going to be the factor getting fans back.
I've yet to see one race this season where the stands are full or even near full. Not a good sign... Take our local track in Phoenix. They are just now upgrading it but ticket prices are going to go up. So, you have an expensive ticket, expensive food and drink and nothing really outside the track for entertainment and then you have that damn hat/shirt tent instead of the haulers.
Add on to that long traffic lines to get in and out (it can take up to 2-3 hours to leave).

Now, I can sit in my living room, turn on the big screen and surround sound, don't have to worry about the drunks spilling drinks on me or acting like tough guys and I can eat/drink and go to the bathroom when I want.
Unless I can get more Hot Passes it's really not worth it to go anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:34 AM

6,563 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've yet to see one race this season where the stands are full or even near full. Not a good sign... Take our local track in Phoenix. They are just now upgrading it but ticket prices are going to go up. So, you have an expensive ticket, expensive food and drink and nothing really outside the track for entertainment and then you have that damn hat/shirt tent instead of the haulers.
Add on to that long traffic lines to get in and out (it can take up to 2-3 hours to leave).

Now, I can sit in my living room, turn on the big screen and surround sound, don't have to worry about the drunks spilling drinks on me or acting like tough guys and I can eat/drink and go to the bathroom when I want.
Unless I can get more Hot Passes it's really not worth it to go anymore...
NASCAR is oversaturated right now, and I believe it would behoove them to cut the schedule considerably.

IMNSHO the schedule should be 24-28 races tops. There's no reason for them to be going to many of the tracks twice anymore. They could easily drop a race at Phoenix, Dover, Kansas, Pocono, Michigan, Texas, Charlotte, Vegas (2 races starting next year), Bristol (spring), Martinsville (spring), and/or Richmond without damaging the sport. It would create more demand for tickets and they might actually sell the damn races out. It would also get the season over with before the NFL kicks into high gear.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,923 times
Shorten the the races as well. 500 laps/miles except for Daytona/'Dega is too much now-a-days.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Quote:

Phoenix not allow you to bring a cooler to the track?

I used to be able to tell you the policy on dang near every track.. All I remember now is Kansas and Charlotte.. Kansas was a no and Charlotte, at least as of a few years ago was a yes.

I always got tickets from my step brother who owns a sports bar in KC that included hospitality at Kansas.. So.. It never bothered me that we couldn't bring anything into the track there.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Phoenix not allow you to bring a cooler to the track?

I used to be able to tell you the policy on dang near every track.. All I remember now is Kansas and Charlotte.. Kansas was a no and Charlotte, at least as of a few years ago was a yes.

I always got tickets from my step brother who owns a sports bar in KC that included hospitality at Kansas.. So.. It never bothered me that we couldn't bring anything into the track there.
You can bring a small soft sided,collapsable cooler with water/soda/food (no alcohol) but there's a couple of issues that come along with that.
One issue is it's hard/impossible to fit enough stuff to last the race along with the ice needed to keep things cool/cold (remember,it's HOT) into that cooler and it's really heavy to lug around.
It won't shock me if they change that rule when the track upgrade is finished...

Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 PM

1,865 posts, read 2,116,160 times
Quote:
You can bring a small soft sided,collapsable cooler with water/soda/food (no alcohol) but there's a couple of issues that come along with that.
One issue is it's hard/impossible to fit enough stuff to last the race along with the ice needed to keep things cool/cold (remember,it's HOT) into that cooler and it's really heavy to lug around.
It won't shock me if they change that rule when the track upgrade is finished...
Two ice packs kept me and my drinks cool through a truck race at PIR. Sat in the grandstands by the end of the pits.

Every Cup race I went to there, I was on the hill. Usually went with my brother. One race we went to we brought a large cooler on wheels, lawn chairs, a tarp, small grill and charcoal, bags of munchies and a bag of doobs (not legal). It's an all day affair getting in and out of the track.

We ended up having to get off the hill at 4, so brought our stuff down and had dinner right next to Rusty Wallace's hauler. I have pictures to prove it. R.W. fan since 1986.

It's been 13 years since I went to a race at PIR, so I don't know what they can bring on hillside seating. Those were some fun times tho.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:55 PM

32,474 posts, read 26,356,312 times
good job by clements to get his first xfinity win today at elkhart lake.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,923 times
Yeah, he really lost his car there in the end but got lucky the leader was there to bounce off of. haha Good to see a small team get a win. Was kinda hoping for some rain as that's fun to watch.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Two ice packs kept me and my drinks cool through a truck race at PIR. Sat in the grandstands by the end of the pits.

Every Cup race I went to there, I was on the hill. Usually went with my brother. One race we went to we brought a large cooler on wheels, lawn chairs, a tarp, small grill and charcoal, bags of munchies and a bag of doobs (not legal). It's an all day affair getting in and out of the track.

We ended up having to get off the hill at 4, so brought our stuff down and had dinner right next to Rusty Wallace's hauler. I have pictures to prove it. R.W. fan since 1986.

It's been 13 years since I went to a race at PIR, so I don't know what they can bring on hillside seating. Those were some fun times tho.
Hillside isn't in the track, as I've never sat there I'm not familiar with what they let you tote up the hill. All I can attest to is what they allow in the track.
Trucks are a short race compared to Sunday both in the time you have to be at the track and how long the race is.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:44 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good job by clements to get his first xfinity win today at elkhart lake.

Not sure, but think he's top-10 all time so far as time before first win.. Something like 230 races?

Now, he's still way away from Michael Waltrip's record, but..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing