U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2017, 10:54 PM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,927,641 times
Reputation: 3305

Advertisements


Hendrick swap: Byron to drive No. 24 in 2018 while Elliott drives No. 9



Chase Elliott’s tenure driving a No. 24 car for Hendrick Motorsports will have lasted all of two years.

Hendrick Motorsports said Tuesday night that Elliott’s team will be rebranded as the No. 9 in 2018 while William Byron — announced as the replacement for Kasey Kahne next season — will drive the No. 24 car.

The current No. 24 team that works with Elliott will stay with him and become the No. 9 team. The No. 5 team that Kahne drives for will become the No. 24.

Elliott took over the No. 24 in 2016 after four-time Cup Series Jeff Gordon’s retirement from the sport. He drove the No. 9 in the Xfinity Series for JR Motorsports and it’s a number his father Bill drove in the Cup Series. Bill Elliott won the 1988 Cup Series title driving the No. 9 for Harry Melling.

“I wasn’t sure I’d ever drive the ‘9’ again,” Chase Elliott said in a statement. “It’s a huge deal to my family and everyone back home (in Georgia), and I hope all of our fans will be pumped to see it back on the racetrack. There’s a legacy attached to that number, and I want to carry it on. I think it’s awesome that Hendrick Motorsports and NAPA wanted to do this. It’s impossible not to be excited.”

Coincidentally, Kahne drove the No. 9 for Ray Evernham after Bill Elliott retired from driving full-time in the Cup Series.

Byron, whose first full season in the Truck Series came in 2016, signed with Hendrick Motorsports over that summer. He spent his Truck Series season driving the No. 9 truck for Kyle Busch Motorsports and is currently piloting the No. 9 for JR Motorsports in the Xfinity Series.

“I didn’t think I could be more motivated, but when Mr. Hendrick called to tell me, it took things to another level,” Byron said in the same statement. I have so much respect for all the people who have contributed to the success of the ‘24.’ I know it’s rare to have the chance to be part of something like this. I’m going to make the most of it.”


Nick Bromberg,From The Marbles
8/30/17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,187,388 times
Reputation: 4514
haha Lotta this and that to simply swap out numbers. Who's in the 88 again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,553,463 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

Hendrick swap: Byron to drive No. 24 in 2018 while Elliott drives No. 9



Chase Elliott’s tenure driving a No. 24 car for Hendrick Motorsports will have lasted all of two years.

Hendrick Motorsports said Tuesday night that Elliott’s team will be rebranded as the No. 9 in 2018 while William Byron — announced as the replacement for Kasey Kahne next season — will drive the No. 24 car.

The current No. 24 team that works with Elliott will stay with him and become the No. 9 team. The No. 5 team that Kahne drives for will become the No. 24.

Elliott took over the No. 24 in 2016 after four-time Cup Series Jeff Gordon’s retirement from the sport. He drove the No. 9 in the Xfinity Series for JR Motorsports and it’s a number his father Bill drove in the Cup Series. Bill Elliott won the 1988 Cup Series title driving the No. 9 for Harry Melling.

“I wasn’t sure I’d ever drive the ‘9’ again,” Chase Elliott said in a statement. “It’s a huge deal to my family and everyone back home (in Georgia), and I hope all of our fans will be pumped to see it back on the racetrack. There’s a legacy attached to that number, and I want to carry it on. I think it’s awesome that Hendrick Motorsports and NAPA wanted to do this. It’s impossible not to be excited.”

Coincidentally, Kahne drove the No. 9 for Ray Evernham after Bill Elliott retired from driving full-time in the Cup Series.

Byron, whose first full season in the Truck Series came in 2016, signed with Hendrick Motorsports over that summer. He spent his Truck Series season driving the No. 9 truck for Kyle Busch Motorsports and is currently piloting the No. 9 for JR Motorsports in the Xfinity Series.

“I didn’t think I could be more motivated, but when Mr. Hendrick called to tell me, it took things to another level,” Byron said in the same statement. I have so much respect for all the people who have contributed to the success of the ‘24.’ I know it’s rare to have the chance to be part of something like this. I’m going to make the most of it.”


Nick Bromberg,From The Marbles
8/30/17
Way to go Hendricks, bet all the fans of Chase/24 are real happy that all the merchandise y'all pimp that they bought is now worthless. I wonder how all those who bought #24 race jackets because of Chase are a bit pissed off about now.
I will never by another piece of NASCAR gear ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 04:12 PM
 
32,483 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Reputation: 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Way to go Hendricks, bet all the fans of Chase/24 are real happy that all the merchandise y'all pimp that they bought is now worthless. I wonder how all those who bought #24 race jackets because of Chase are a bit pissed off about now.
I will never by another piece of NASCAR gear ever again.
grow up. drivers changes numbers and car owners all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,553,463 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
grow up. drivers changes numbers and car owners all the time.
I am a grown up and will not give them any more $$$$$$$ due to their antics. My choice as a GROWN UP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,187,388 times
Reputation: 4514
It is a shame for people that got 24 gear to support Chase but the gear isn't useless. It still has him on it. I still wear 8 gear and 24 Gordon stuff. That doesn't change. Chase in the 9 car makes a lot of sense. Good on the King for giving them the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It is a shame for people that got 24 gear to support Chase but the gear isn't useless. It still has him on it. I still wear 8 gear and 24 Gordon stuff. That doesn't change. Chase in the 9 car makes a lot of sense. Good on the King for giving them the number.
I go out searching for Bobby Labonte #18 merchandise. It's getting harder and harder to find it now.

I got about 10 hats before he left for Petty.. I've worn out about 4 of them.. I am willing to wear generic JGR hats.. So.. I actually have the 20th anniversary JGR hat from 2011 that i'm wearing now.. It's getting thin.. So, it'll have to be replaced here in the next few months.

I *REALLY* try not to wear Kyle Busch stuff.. I mean.. First and foremost, I am a fan of the 18 car.. It was easy to be with Dale Jarrett and then Bobby.. It was tough when they put JJ Yeley in, just because he sucked.. Kyle.. Tough for a different reason.. I mean, you have to respect him as a talent, but..

I also prefer the Interstate Batteries gear over M&M's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,187,388 times
Reputation: 4514
Yeah I liked the interstate look back in the day. The M&Ms gear is cute but does anyone really want cute? lol I mean at times that's fine but not all the time. I think that's why Busch wears Nos stuff so much.

I found 8 and 24 (dupont era) shirts never been opened at a yard sale. You never know where you'll find that stuff. Got my 24 jacket at a nascar store that was closing for basically nothing. That was a good find there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,715 posts, read 2,721,895 times
Reputation: 1460
For whatever reason, etsy.com usually has a bunch of old NASCAR related gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 PM
 
32,483 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Reputation: 19128
so its a throwback weekend at darlington, and there are some great paint schemes from the past for sure, including rusty wallaces miller lite paint scheme on brad Ks car, bobby allisons miller paint scheme, richard pettys paint scheme that was on his car when he won his 200th race, and of course dale earnhardts wrangler paint scheme on austin dillons car.

and its always good to hear ken squire calling races again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top