U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,546,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Petty is unfortunately a dinosaur in a sport where technology and innovation comes at a huge price tag and teams with an endless supply of money are going to continue to survive.

No disrespect to the Pettys, but it must be hard to justify continuing when the financial responsibilities of NASCAR can bleed you dry. In a sport the king has put his heart and soul into, it has now become a corporate conglomerate of survival of the fittest.
And that is why the young guns are replacing the older ones at a fast clip. Cheaper pay for the drivers allows more $$$ for everything else needed to field a car. Soon will be the time that driving a car will pay like a regular hazardous job unless you can get sponsorship deals on the side...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really? What exactly are you insinuating?
Quote:
Petty is unfortunately a dinosaur in a sport where technology and innovation comes at a huge price tag and teams with an endless supply of money are going to continue to survive.

No disrespect to the Pettys, but it must be hard to justify continuing when the financial responsibilities of NASCAR can bleed you dry. In a sport the king has put his heart and soul into, it has now become a corporate conglomerate of survival of the fittest.
I doubt no one will deny Richard Petty is the best in NASCAR as a driver. It is unfortunate he has not had success as an owner, and his grandson Adam was killed in a accident at New Hampshire in 2000. The Petty family beyond Richard does not have the funds or the interest to be involved in NASCAR competition.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:

Remember that Petty is little more than a figurehead at this point. He has very little ownership stake in that team. Saying anything here is his fault is like blaming the hammer for hitting your finger..

His name is on the building because his name has the value. "Medallion Racing Group" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:16 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,720,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Richard Petty Motorsports' issues go beyond a carousel of drivers and sponsors for the 43.
I didn't know having the same driver for the past six years qualifies as being a carousel.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Remember that Petty is little more than a figurehead at this point. He has very little ownership stake in that team. Saying anything here is his fault is like blaming the hammer for hitting your finger..

His name is on the building because his name has the value. "Medallion Racing Group" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Yep. It hasn't been a real Petty team since Petty Enterprises merged with Gillett/Evernham after 2008.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,961,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

This is why I said no disrespect to Petty.....this man was strapped to a seat in a car held together with nuts, bolts, baling wire and whatever it took to get that car up to speed. The cars were worked on by men not choreographed tire changers. These men could listen to an engine and diagnosis it and squeeze the heck out of it for power with brains and muscle not computers and statistical data.

Now he comes full circle and engineering departments, wind tunnel analysts, engine and chassis builders are what it takes to put forth a winning car. Multiple car teams have the luxury of tweaking their cars and analyzing the data to really cover the bases

NASCAR's interference with tire packages, track grip, pit road electronics to catch an infraction, segments, aero packages and the continuation of modifications and tweaks to the rules have changed the evolution of the sport into something a joke that is turning hard core NASCAR fans away.

Richard Petty knows he is king............but I would like to believe he knows the heart and soul of NASCAR is gone.

I am not a hater, just an aging baby boomer watching the decay of NASCAR with what looks like to be no chance for rejuvenation. Petty knows his role, but he knows it is almost next to impossible to field a winning team unless you have money to burn.

My three cents

Old 09-14-2017, 07:19 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,157,772 times
Quote:
This is why I said no disrespect to Petty.....this man was strapped to a seat in a car held together with nuts, bolts, baling wire and whatever it took to get that car up to speed. The cars were worked on by men not choreographed tire changers. These men could listen to an engine and diagnosis it and squeeze the heck out of it for power with brains and muscle not computers and statistical data.

Now he comes full circle and engineering departments, wind tunnel analysts, engine and chassis builders are what it takes to put forth a winning car. Multiple car teams have the luxury of tweaking their cars and analyzing the data to really cover the bases

NASCAR's interference with tire packages, track grip, pit road electronics to catch an infraction, segments, aero packages and the continuation of modifications and tweaks to the rules have changed the evolution of the sport into something a joke that is turning hard core NASCAR fans away.

Richard Petty knows he is king............but I would like to believe he knows the heart and soul of NASCAR is gone.

I am not a hater, just an aging baby boomer watching the decay of NASCAR with what looks like to be no chance for rejuvenation. Petty knows his role, but he knows it is almost next to impossible to field a winning team unless you have money to burn.

My three cents
Gotta say I agree with yah.....sadly.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,546,154 times
Quote:

My three cents
I agree! The more technical and electrical NASCAR makes it the less I'm inclined to watch. Driverless cars are coming soon to a track near you!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,467 times
Yep, but it's basically a spec series now and those are meh. IROC but without drivers you actually like.

I'm a bit perplexed by Danica's attitude. She will only drive with a top team?! I'm a defender of her but that's just odd. She's shown no ability to have a top ride, like a fair few guys in cup. There will always be back-markers. No biggie. I mean when she first got to cup and brought sponsors, okay. But after all these lackluster years she should be grateful to get any ride, like Bowyer who is a much better driver. He went to a lesser ride and earned a better ride. I'll still defend Danica in cup but not this attitude of entitlement.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:26 PM

She also threw SHR under the bus just like she did with Andretti shortly before she left Indycar. Can't wait to see her gone at the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing